HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

100 East 53rd Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Good news - love that some of these left for dead proposals are making a comeback.
+ 1

And looks like this one will come down to the glass, and it's nice to see such a prime site finally come back to life. It was depressing to see a site as golden as this one sit idle, and even though the design is less than interesting, it'll get crowded out in the years to come once east midtown rezoning goes through.

Edit, some photos courtesty of EastMillinocket on WNY:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 1:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Apartments begin at the 52nd floor...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JB...allbin=1036471

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:20 AM

Any updates on this tower? Is excavation continuing?

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:54 PM

Unfortunately, not much progress since March. I wonder if / when this will get going?

(photo by me)

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:43 AM

Great progress. Many changes in just two months.

Ironic.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/...nt-at-610-lex/

RFR gets $70M loan for 60-story development at 610 Lex

September 26, 2013

Quote:
A $70 million loan may jumpstart RFR Realty’s plans for a 60-story tower on a long-vacant lot at 610 Lexington Avenue.

The yearlong bridge loan from the Union League Life Insurance Co. can convert into construction financing after that period of time. The site near East 53rd Street can handle about 200,000 square feet of commercial development. But the Midtown East rezoning plan – if approved by City Council in October – stands to boost the possible square footage.

The Aby Rosen-led RFR did not confirm to Crain’s whether it wants to start building at the site next year.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130929916

Lexington Ave. spire could be back in the cards
RFR Realty locks up a new $70 million loan for a property in back of the Seagram Building, where it may restart a long-stalled plan for a 60-story tower.

By Daniel Geiger
September 26, 2013

Quote:
It wasn't clear if RFR Realty, which owns a collection of well-known buildings in the city, including the Seagram Building on the western side of the same block and Lever House across Park Avenue, plans to begin building at 610 Lexington Ave. next year. Also yet to be determined is whether it is aiming to increase the size of the development by participating in the rezoning plan or go forward with a project that would not require additional air rights. The midtown east rezoning will allow developers to buy extra air rights from the city and use them to erect larger skyscrapers than are currently permitted in the area, which stretches from just south of Grand Central Terminal to East 57th Street.

RFR Realty could be in a particularly advantageous position under the terms of the new proposal, which are set to be formalized by the City Planning Commission by the end of the month. The rezoning allows landmarked buildings greater leeway in transferring their air rights, so they can participate with the city in selling them across a broader geography in the area. That would allow RFR Realty to take unused development rights it holds at Lever House and utilize them at 610 Lexington Ave., potentially significantly reducing the cost and increasing the size of what it builds there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 11:22 PM

This could mean a revised design, and a much, much taller building.

RFR Realty already owns all the air rights to Lever House and Seagram Building, but can't use them on this site because of the current zoning.

Under the new zoning, they will easily be able to build a supertall, if they wish. They could build something like 432 Park, if they wish.

And I'm guessing they go very tall, because the current design doesn't allow for Central Park views. With the new zoning, they will be able to take advantage of the ridiculous demand for Central Park views. And you can't do this from this site unless you're talking supertall.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:29 AM

And heeeeeeere we go again..........

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 2:50 AM

interesting,it would be smart to go big on this one

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:24 PM
BANNED

Why are they calling this a "spire"? I don't think a spire was ever included in this design process.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Why are they calling this a "spire"? I don't think a spire was ever included in this design process.
A spire, in conversational terms, with regular people, means a tall building. In SSP we are more pedantic.

I am really eager to see what happens on this site. I would live to see a very narrow Norman Foster supertall on this site, hopefully competing with the other slim towers going up just to the north along 57th..

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
New Yorker for life

As I recall, they could have gone up to 800 ft, even with the current zoning, but Foster didn't think the design worked, so they didn't use all of the rights currently allowed on site. But in this age of the supertall sliver buildings taking over Manhattan, surely Foster could design something to work. It would be another shaft like 432 Park, but the detail is in the design.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 3:01 PM

will this be over 400m? possibly?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
will this be over 400m? possibly?
At this point, we don't really know what it will be. It's possible that it could be redesigned for a taller tower though. How much larger isn't clear.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:30 AM

400m would be crazy cool and would contribute to the skyline if designed properly

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 1:19 AM

I'm not sure if Lexington Ave. is a particularly sought-after address by the international penthouser set; so on that alone I would guess that if they do shoot higher, we'll be lucky to see 950' tops.
My NYC-resident neighbors and colleagues might challenge me on that, though.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I'm not sure if Lexington Ave. is a particularly sought-after address by the international penthouser set; so on that alone I would guess that if they do shoot higher, we'll be lucky to see 950' tops.
My NYC-resident neighbors and colleagues might challenge me on that, though.
This site, in terms of desirability, is just as desirable as 57th Street. This neighborhood is very much a high-rent district (in some ways, more high-rent than 57th).

The tower would sit on 53rd Street between Park & Lex. You would have direct park views from the site, but only if you go very tall.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 11:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I'm not sure if Lexington Ave. is a particularly sought-after address by the international penthouser set;
Besides, its not as if all the sky high penhouse towers are all going to that set (see 432 Park). But the top apartments here will be pretty expensive whether the height is pushed higher or not.

Related's penthouse at One Madison is going for $50 million...
http://www.businessinsider.com/one-m...se-2013-9?op=1

JDS's penthouse at the Walker Tower is going for $55 million...
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/...arket-for-55m/

The Trump Soho penthouse is now going for $50 million...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0y0HG1EFIpIBZg

Of course, none of that comes close to the $130 million for a massive unit at River House...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...N7ybgqBK8W304w

And there's more...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/realestat...-1226730174101

Quote:
At least 19 condos and co-ops are on the market for at least $50 million — with the most expensive offered for $130 million as soon as construction is complete.

It will occupy what is now a private club at the River House on East 52nd Street and will boast five bedrooms, 10 baths, a pool, tennis court and IMAX screening room.

If that seems a bit steep, there’s a triplex penthouse available at The Pierre hotel for $125 million.

Even Hell’s Kitchen is in on the act, with an $85 million apartment at 635 W. 42nd St. A smaller apartment in that building was once a Lindsay Lohan crash pad.

If you want a hipper location, there's a $50 million penthouse duplex at Trump Soho.

At 15 Central Park West — where Citigroup's former chief Sandy Weill sold his penthouse for $88 million to a Russian billionaire — another listing is asking $70 million.

Nearby, at the Time Warner Center, there's a $75 million six-bedroom for sale along with a $50 million three-bedroom.

Some of the buildings for billionaires have their own version of low-income units. Sure, a $95 million unit is being offered at The Sherry-Netherland hotel. But for a mere $1 million, you can buy a more modest one-bedroom unit in the Fifth Avenue building.

We'll see if the rezoning plus the high end craziness pushes this tower upward or simple increases its bulk.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 2:04 AM

Last that I heard was that this site will have a different design to it. Is that correct? I believe this design was acquired by another developer to be built elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRE View Post
Last that I heard was that this site will have a different design to it. Is that correct? I believe this design was acquired by another developer to be built elsewhere.
It's the same developer, and my understanding is it's the same design. Hotel will be still be Shangri-La, I believe.

So no supertall or anything like that here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive