HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 6:38 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
But outstanding to who? The Centre Plan could be passed in it's current form with an understanding that further work and refinement is coming. No plan is perfect and frankly is out of date the moment it passes.

The public comments, to me as a planner, frankly show the need for Halifax to have something along the lines of a planning 101 program. But as much as such a thing may be offered; you can't force everyone to take it. The centre plan won't stop people who just don't want to be informed from staying out of the loop and having their opinions. Just have to be prepared for folks like that and ready to defend the recommendations.
Limiting heights in the Center Plan to ~20 storeys will result in rash of chunky, squat looking buildings with economy finishes like this one on Barrington St.:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.66278...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Limiting heights in the Center Plan to ~20 storeys will result in rash of chunky, squat looking buildings with economy finishes like this one on Barrington St.:

*Shudders*

What a sad looking building. You wouldn't catch something like this being built in Toronto.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:

To be fair, I believe that building owes most of its banal design to its function as a military barracks. Not much cutting edge architecture to be found here.

Maple is ~20 stories and didn't turn out too bad.

Not that I mean to be an apologist for the height caps, I would love to see some variety and taller buildings.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 8:01 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
To be fair, I believe that building owes most of its banal design to its function as a military barracks. Not much cutting edge architecture to be found here.

Maple is ~20 stories and didn't turn out too bad.

Not that I mean to be an apologist for the height caps, I would love to see some variety and taller buildings.
I think it is totally unacceptable that we can't expect quality design and materials for military buildings in Halifax. You would not see this in Ottawa.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
*Shudders*

What a sad looking building. You wouldn't catch something like this being built in Toronto.
Of that era? There's lots of that stuff in Toronto. Toronto has a huge stock of mid-century buildings, some very elegant, but a lot very poor.

Whatever the merits of demerits of a 20-storey cap, I don't think it will necessarily lead to mediocre buildings. A lot of the better-looking buildings in the city (the Vic, Southport, Grainery, St. Joseph's, potentially Gorsebrook and The Curve) are well under 20 storeys. I don't see any direct correlation between quality and height.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 10:27 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Of that era? There's lots of that stuff in Toronto. Toronto has a huge stock of mid-century buildings, some very elegant, but a lot very poor.

Whatever the merits of demerits of a 20-storey cap, I don't think it will necessarily lead to mediocre buildings. A lot of the better-looking buildings in the city (the Vic, Southport, Grainery, St. Joseph's, potentially Gorsebrook and The Curve) are well under 20 storeys. I don't see any direct correlation between quality and height.
These are quality buildings?
By what measure?

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
These are quality buildings?
By what measure?
No, I mean those are similarly bad (GreenBastard said TO doesn't have crappy buildings like that).

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
No, I mean those are similarly bad (GreenBastard said TO doesn't have crappy buildings like that).
They weren't built in the last year...

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Not sure that building can be used as an example of anything. It's a federal government build, and would not have been subject to any of the municipal planning rules. Even if it had been built to 100 storeys we would have probably been build with the same crappy design, because I'm sure the only marching order on that one was "we don't want to be seen wasting tax dollars, we need the absolute minimum cost per square foot".

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:16 PM

Do we know if this is going to be rentals or condos? I'm guessing rentals.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 9:58 PM

The ADM building was built to withstand a blast and secure the occupants. It was not meant to be pretty. I'm sure he public would have nothing good to say if they made it fancy.

As it was, the building cost much more than the average build. iIRC it was ~$60m....

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 10:02 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Not sure that building can be used as an example of anything. It's a federal government build, and would not have been subject to any of the municipal planning rules. Even if it had been built to 100 storeys we would have probably been build with the same crappy design, because I'm sure the only marching order on that one was "we don't want to be seen wasting tax dollars, we need the absolute minimum cost per square foot".
Well the federal Gov. doesn't build crap in Ottawa. A large portion of the downtown, and Halifax in general, is used for Military purposes. Yes they provide jobs etc. but it is time they said thank you and they could start by providing buildings that contribute to the city.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well the federal Gov. doesn't build crap in Ottawa. A large portion of the downtown, and Halifax in general, is used for Military purposes. Yes they provide jobs etc. but it is time they said thank you and they could start by providing buildings that contribute to the city.
Oh no doubt. I am not at all happy about how that building looks. The feds can and should have done better. But I don't think we can point to that building as any failure of municipal planning, because the feds don't have to follow municipal planning.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Oh no doubt. I am not at all happy about how that building looks. The feds can and should have done better. But I don't think we can point to that building as any failure of municipal planning, because the feds don't have to follow municipal planning.
Ah. That explains how they were able to build something taller than 4 floors.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:09 PM
Cap the Cut!

Construction fencing is up on this site on Gottingen street so it would appear that this cute little building is not long in our world. I often thought it would make a neat little restaurant or coffee shop having the space out front for a nice sized patio. Anyway, I think this is the site of the new building that will have the funky clock hangy thing on the Gottingen/Macara corner. The green building to the left in the pics is the site office for NRTH. I'm not sure what will happen to it but I doubt it will remain.

20220720_135022 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20220720_135050_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 11:10 PM

Looks like a 1960s-era service station. There is probably a pic of it in the Municipal Archives somewhere... I'll have to give it a look one of these days.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 4:48 AM

*Moved some posts to this thread from the General Updates section.

Also there is an active planning application for this project to add 5 units to the project;

Case 24304 Details

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 2:05 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
*Moved some posts to this thread from the General Updates section.

Also there is an active planning application for this project to add 5 units to the project;

Case 24304 Details
Thank You!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 2:24 PM
Cap the Cut!

Based on the drawing, I'd call this another decent looking addition to the area. The lion's share of the windows are somewhat lame/pedestrian...not that there's anything wrong with that. I do think that both the street level and the upper most level are attractive. I like the (apparent) visable supporting structure for the roof, the roof itself and the upper level window wall glass. And as a rule I much perfer to see balconies at least partly in-set rather than protruding wholly off the face of a building, which this building has.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
The lion's share of the windows are somewhat lame/pedestrian...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Isn't 'pedestrian' what many people in this forum hope for in new urban developments?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth