80 South Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 7:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Maybe Morali will release them once he's got the approval from LPC.

That didn't stop his facebook postings earlier, but the thing has already been approved. Besides, we see renderings of things that have to get approved all the time. I don't understand the sudden secrecy here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:58 PM

Is it possible that they're going higher than 1,018ft and that's the reason for the secrecy? Or is that just wishful thinking...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://www.yimbynews.com/

Interview: Discussing 80 South Street’s Progress
By: Nikolai Fedak on October 11th 2013 at 11:30 am

80 South Street and its inspiration, The Longacre Tower

Great job Nikolai!
Thanks!

And renderings should be forthcoming within the next two months, possibly courtesy of some local talent via SSP.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:42 AM

Oh god! Not another horror. Hope it's still a work in progress cause if not, might as well bring back the Calatrava design already.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:20 AM

I'm not sure what to make of the geometry of the structure from that angle. And for a 1000'+'er the scale looks IMO a bit off.
It somehow doensn't look realistic...almost like a plastic or die-cast model.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I'm not sure what to make of the geometry of the structure from that angle. And for a 1000'+'er the scale looks IMO a bit off.
It somehow doensn't look realistic...almost like a plastic or die-cast model.
I agree with it not looking realistic.

I feel like the colors are too saturated on the building for it to look anywhere realistic.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:29 AM

That is some BS Verizon building level architecture right there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:40 AM

Well, to be fair,it was put out as a concept model, i.e. the general look of it sans details.
BTW, notice if you can the reflection of the forest-green building at the base of the structure. I don't think that's how it's supposed to look.
While we do need to see other vantage points with this apparent redux (I see they nixed the green spaces(?) ), the cladding materials will tell a lot.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:26 PM

It's called modern art folks, it doesn't look that bad.

Who knows if that's the final design or not...It could use some fine tuning.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It's called modern art folks, it doesn't look that bad.

Who knows if that's the final design or not...It could use some fine tuning.
Modern art sucks, as does this building:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jenlewis/qui...d-art?s=mobile

The world is filled with talentless artists and architects hiding under the veil of modernism.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 7:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It does look futuristic. Like a rail gun or something. I doubt this will be the final design, but at that height, it will definitely stand out.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 7:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
Modern art sucks, as does this building:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jenlewis/qui...d-art?s=mobile

The world is filled with talentless artists and architects hiding under the veil of modernism.
Go to the MoMa if you want to see art that looks like something you'd find at home depot. I do agree. This spot would be perfect for something that resembles a prewar or art deco. Obviously with a modern touch. Like the Silverstien residential tower going up near WTC

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 12:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Some evolution in design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post

Not a huge change. Could be final. Maybe not.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 2:07 AM

TBH (whether this redux is final or not) I'm having trouble understanding why the second space from the top isn't fully carried out at the whitish portion of the tower. Either add one there at the whitish portion, take away that space from that section of the blue portion, or make the whitish one whole throughout to create a neat visual contrast.

I don't mean to be dismissive in any way of obsessive-compulsive disorders as I have two close friends with this problem; but I have an uneasy feeling that this particular design wouldn't sit too well with such folk. Consistency via a bit more symmetry than what we see here is important; so leaving viewers wondering why A is here but B is not can hamper a sense of appreciation.

The other point I'd like to make is that IMO a "neo-prewar/art deco" motif really doesn't fit here well (or for that matter ever has), even in spite of the venerable 120 Wall St. nearby. There's just too much Modernism going on at the Sea Port to grant the idea any serious consideration.

I don't hate this redux; but you know............

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 6:07 AM

Quote:
TBH (whether this redux is final or not) I'm having trouble understanding why the second space from the top isn't fully carried out at the whitish portion of the tower. Either add one there at the whitish portion, take away that space from that section of the blue portion, or make the whitish one whole throughout to create a neat visual contrast.

I don't mean to be dismissive in any way of obsessive-compulsive disorders as I have two close friends with this problem; but I have an uneasy feeling that this particular design wouldn't sit too well with such folk. Consistency via a bit more symmetry than what we see here is important; so leaving viewers wondering why A is here but B is not can hamper a sense of appreciation.

The other point I'd like to make is that IMO a "neo-prewar/art deco" motif really doesn't fit here well (or for that matter ever has), even in spite of the venerable 120 Wall St. nearby. There's just too much Modernism going on at the Sea Port to grant the idea any serious consideration.

I don't hate this redux; but you know............
Neo pre-war fits in everywhere.

I dont hate it because its bad architecture. There is bad architecture all over NYC. What bugs me is that it is in such a prominent location, and its height makes it impossible to just fade into the cityscape. And to further fuel the fire, the design since Calarava has gotten worse and worse, and it has gotten worse among the concepts of the current architects as well. I will never truly get how bad architects stay in business and why the city doesnt have a blanket approval process for design.

This to me is the exact reason i believe modern art and architecture is truly the devolution of talent and design. There is no detail here, it is strictly a game of massing, something that is more engineering than it is architecture.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 6:45 AM

Well, again (and not to sound condescending):

The render was called a concept model for two reasons, to wit the operative words in that phrase.

A concept is usually not required to show anymore details than the basic outline of the plan. A model can oftentimes be nothing more than a rough visual aid to help clarify maybe one or two aspects of the objectified thing's whole, case and point the cantilever renders for the Nordstrom tower.
Now...render, at least IMO, is a different kind of animal. It seems to function as a catalyst for bringing the thing objectified out of concept mode into something whose architectural merits can be more intelligently debated.
What I see here is precisely what the person who shared it with us said it was, and not quite yet at the render stage I suggested above.

PS: Pre-War, "Neo-" or otherwise, decidedly doesn't fit in, say, the greater portion of L.A.'s Bunker Hill skyline. City Hall is too far out IMO to be caught in DTLA's Modernist gravitational pull. And QF vice-versa. I can name other cities (of course not here lest I wander too far afield) whose growth-fueled skylines over the past decade or so where pre-war not only ill-conformed, but never seemed to be in demand from an urban aesthetics POV.

A nickel.

Last edited by JayPro; Nov 3, 2013 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Well, again (and not to sound condescending):

The render was called a concept model for two reasons, to wit the operative words in that phrase.

A concept is usually not required to show anymore details than the basic outline of the plan. A model can oftentimes be nothing more than a rough visual aid to help clarify maybe one or two aspects of the objectified thing's whole, case and point the cantilever renders for the Nordstrom tower.
Now...render, at least IMO, is a different kind of animal. It seems to function as a catalyst for bringing the thing objectified out of concept mode into something whose architectural merits can be more intelligently debated.
What I see here is precisely what the person who shared it with us said it was, and not quite yet at the render stage I suggested above.

PS: Pre-War, "Neo-" or otherwise, decidedly doesn't fit in, say, the greater portion of L.A.'s Bunker Hill skyline. City Hall is too far out IMO to be caught in DTLA's Modernist gravitational pull. And QF vice-versa. I can name other cities (of course not here lest I wander too far afield) whose growth-fueled skylines over the past decade or so where pre-war not only ill-conformed, but never seemed to be in demand from an urban aesthetics POV.

A nickel.
I hope youre right about the rendering. Clealy it leaves me wanting and extremely disappointed, but if what you say is true, there is some hope yet for this project.

As for neo-pre war "fitting in" I dont believe great architecture need fit into its surroundings or conform to the cityscape it is joining. If it is indeed great architecture, it can stand on its own head and shoulders above the evironment it was built into. Perhaps its all just a matter of taste.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 6:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Another look at that render...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 6:43 AM

It's not that bad compared to what is going on at 225 W. 57th Street...........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals