80 South Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 4:08 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

any more news coming out on this one??

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 12:51 PM

Haven't heard anything new, other than the developer continues to work on the project.

I did hear a separate rumor from a good source though- SHOP architects plan a very tall, very skinny tower somwhere in Lower Manhattan. My source knew the specific location, but would not reveal details.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 1:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
SHOP architects plan a very tall, very skinny tower somwhere in Lower Manhattan. My source knew the specific location, but would not reveal details.
That wouldn't surprise me. They are the kings of New York these days.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:21 AM

I was reading this article about all the projects heading to the city for approval and I came upon this...

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/...id=nymag_press

Quote:
History will record that in the waning days of Michael Bloomberg’s empire, rebels massed and developers erected fortifications. At last Monday’s meeting of the City Planning Commission, the projects advanced one after another, like trains to the front: a thousand-foot luxury tower near the South Street Seaport; a dozen buildings on the Greenpoint waterfront; the residential redevelopment of Bushwick’s old Rheingold brewery. When Commissioner Anna Levin lamented the fuzzy details of a rezoning proposal designed to add new skyscrapers to midtown’s East Side, Chairwoman Amanda Burden said it was “as much as we could shape now.” With time running short, the supersizing plan was moved to a vote, scheduled for this week.
I'm wondering if that's the same project considering last time I heard from it it was still in the early planning stage. Anyone care to dig up some info?!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:23 AM

that's the one

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
I was reading this article about all the projects heading to the city for approval and I came upon this...

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/...id=nymag_press

I'm wondering if that's the same project considering last time I heard from it it was still in the early planning stage. Anyone care to dig up some info?!
Patience is a virtue

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That article paints a scary picture when Bloomberg leaves. I hope the next mayor isn't against development. Cities doing great right now under Mr.Bloomberg.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That article paints a scary picture when Bloomberg leaves. I hope the next mayor isn't against development.
He isn't against development. He's just for more of it for people that can afford it.

Anyway, I skimmed through that article, but didn't notice this:

Quote:
At last Monday’s meeting of the City Planning Commission, the projects advanced one after another, like trains to the front: a thousand-foot luxury tower near the South Street Seaport

Here's the approval...

We lucky to be getting any of these developments moving forward after this roller coaster ride of a decade. But I do believe we are in the most transformative era of the city's skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:43 PM

So many towers at once!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

I wonder if Morali Architects is still working on this one. I've seen nothing mentioned on their facebook page in what seems like ages. Very odd for the hype they were building.

https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchitects

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
So many towers at once!
Always keep looking back to hunsers list. It is a good refresher and a good eye popping read if one forgets just how many are planned/going up.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 5:36 AM

It wouldn't make sense for them to not continuing to hype the project given the clear evidence of approval above. That the paperwork showing this project essentially greenlighted hasn't been reflected on the guy's FB page is perplexing.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 5:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
It wouldn't make sense for them to not continuing to hype the project given the clear evidence of approval above. That the paperwork showing this project essentially greenlighted hasn't been reflected on the guy's FB page is perplexing.
I'm beginning to suspect different architects are on this. (SHoP would be the first guess.)

This tower will have great views, better I think than One57, but it will probably take some "starchitecture" to get those prices.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Patience is a virtue
Do you have insider information?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm beginning to suspect different architects are on this. (SHoP would be the first guess.)

This tower will have great views, better I think than One57, but it will probably take some "starchitecture" to get those prices.
But wouldn't make sense in that case for the architects hitherto of record to publicize their intention to hand things over? Because people wh've been following the development of this towercan get thrown off or assume that a wholesale redesign (i.e. back to the proverbial drawing board) would lead to a reissuance of permits and more of a wait time for this to get going.

I hope I'm reading too much into this......

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
But wouldn't make sense in that case for the architects hitherto of record to publicize their intention to hand things over?
I don't think so. Architect websites routinely display work on projects they've worked on, even if those projects ultimately end up being designed by someone else. They don't publicize competing firms.

As far as any new design, since plans have been approved, renderings may be released now, or the sight could simply be more attractive to another developer with the approvals in place. Only time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:54 AM

That rather well explains the lull in the architect's FB activity. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 4:55 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.yimbynews.com/

Interview: Discussing 80 South Street’s Progress
By: Nikolai Fedak on October 11th 2013 at 11:30 am

80 South Street and its inspiration, The Longacre Tower

Quote:
While details on 80 South Street’s progress have been scarce beyond YIMBY’s previous interview with Morali Architects, there is good news for the tower’s prospects, as permits for the transfer of air rights from the neighboring landmarks have now been filed. YIMBY sat down with chief architect Anthony Morali to discuss the plan’s progression.

YIMBY: Cord Meyer is the tower’s developer, and as of our last meeting, they were seeking financing – do you have any updates?

MORALI: Cord Meyer is committed to getting 80 South Street built, and we’re in talks with several hotel partners as well. The residential market is booming right now and the interest is there – partially thanks to YIMBY – and we’re almost finished with the approval process.

YIMBY: How has the approval process gone, and have you had to incorporate any modifications post-Sandy?

MORALI: Well the process has evolved somewhat, but the chief concern is the new flood regulations from the federal government – but there have been no major changes since we last spoke. The Seaport is vulnerable to flooding but 80 South Street has been designed in a way to mitigate this, both at the base and through other means – the tower incorporates several levels that could potentially serve as elevated connections to other buildings in the neighborhood.

YIMBY: We touched on that idea last time, and it seems that several projects in the city – like 432 Park Avenue – offer similar ideas in their incorporations of ‘cut-outs’ between occupied sections of the tower. Do you see this is a future component of all new construction in the city?

MORALI: 80 South Street is unique in that it’s forward-thinking and extremely environmentally friendly; it’s forward thinking in that the levels incorporate greenery, and the dividers truly can be used to link the tower to nearby buildings with elevated walkways if the need arises. And that’s the thing; we need to be proactive with new development, and think of the future. Remedial design is just that, but 80 South Street is something different; unlike other developers we’re acknowledging the building’s location, which is prone to flooding in extreme situations, and we’re taking measures that will totally mitigate any impacts from future events. The different levels a gesture to the city’s future, and the fact that we shouldn’t think of New York as existing on a single plane; the future of the city will be built on different horizontal levels, and this is a facet 80 South Street incorporates. So whether others follow remains to be seen, but I see the city becoming a series of planes rather than what it is now, which is only one street level – and 80 South Street incorporates this potential into its design.

YIMBY: You also mentioned green features and environmental friendliness; can you explain further?

MORALI: Beyond the levels, the terraces – inside the ‘gaps’ between each of the building’s apartments – will have greenery, and flowing pools. The roof is going to be green. What we’re seeing now is more green roofs that actually incorporate vegetation and that’s something we plan on doing at 80 South Street. Instead of a simple white roof, which aids the albedo effect, a green roof with plants will actually absorb both carbon and water runoff. We’re seeing problems resulting from the city’s reliance on asphalt and concrete and the sewer systems can’t cope with all the rain during heavy events; vegetation on a building’s roof absorbs part of the excess run-off and also helps cool the city. It’s a win-win and a feature we’ll be incorporating that goes above and beyond current mandates. The building also has a driverless parking system; computer automation has come a long ways, and we can pack the cars in via sensors at this point. It won’t be major, but it’ll be a nice addition as the tower will be luxury.

YIMBY: And the permitting process; where are you now? What happens next?

MORALI: Landmark permits will be certified next week. Financing is in the works; the company is going to leave a defining mark on the Downtown skyline. The market is definitely there and I think 80 South Street offers a unique location away from other competing developments, so it has a definite niche. You have towers like 56 Leonard and 30 Park Place – and then the 57th Street supertalls – but 80 South Street really offers something unique, in a neighborhood that’s very high-end yet lacks significant luxury development. 80 South Street is well situated to take advantage of its location and position and it will; Cord Meyer is confident enough to proceed.

Great job Nikolai!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like he's still on the job, but where are the renders?

Quote:
Landmark permits will be certified next week. Financing is in the works; the company is going to leave a defining mark on the Downtown skyline.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 5:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Looks like he's still on the job, but where are the renders?
Maybe Morali will release them once he's got the approval from LPC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals