Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Today's shot from my friend who lives in Millennium

Might be a silly question but whats down bellow is that a road on top of a road on top of a road?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
Might be a silly question but whats down bellow is that a road on top of a road on top of a road?
You mean on the left? That's the Transbay bus terminal which is currently under construction.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 1:08 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
That is the Transbay Transit Center. Two levels up is the bus deck, with a direct, dedicated connection to the Bay Bridge; ground level is the main lobby and ticketing level; one level underground is the lower concourse connecting the ground level with the rail platforms below; the rail platforms are two levels underground and will serve Caltrain commuter rail and California High Speed Rail trains.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:13 AM
She needs her space

Big pour today/yesterday, finally. Looks like the matte pour is done!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Big pour today/yesterday, finally. Looks like the matte pour is done!
I don't think we're there yet simms. That looks like another prep pour. They still have a lot of rebar to put in the middle hole. When that is filled with concrete then we're good. I would imagine at least two or more pumps will be on site to get that done.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:40 AM

The tower is looking great. Anyone would have an updated version of a render of the master plan for SoMa area? I want to see how the tower will interact with the terminal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I don't think there's anything newer than this rendering that's been posted before:

Or this video from the Transbay Transit Center site:
https://vimeo.com/73323056

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:22 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegondiim View Post
The tower is looking great. Anyone would have an updated version of a render of the master plan for SoMa area? I want to see how the tower will interact with the terminal.
The best way to learn more is to go to the website itself. There are many photos, videos, and webcams that add a lot of context. http://transbaycenter.org/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegondiim View Post

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 11:50 PM

^ My only beef with the above rendering is that it is not accurate, That cluster of Transbay (SalesForce), 181 Fremont, and Millennium will not be that dense, as Transbay Tower is actually on the western far edge of the lot, and this rendering has it up against the eastern edge closer to Millennium and 181 Fremont (You can see how much further it is away from the pink building across from it on Misison St. compared to Millennium, it should be the other way around). I think in reality it will look much better than this as it will not be so darn crowded.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:34 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
... this rendering that's been posted before:

has anyone noticed what looks like a car ramp to an underground parking garage or tunnel just below the main support pillar for the bus bridge cables, in the greenspace? that's always bugged me, since I don't know of anything it would correspond to in the plans. have I missed something, or is that just sheer invention?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I think it's part of the plan. I've seen references to ground and lower level bus/paratransit access. In fact, I think you can see that ingress/egress under construction in this photo (lower right, under the falsework):

Source: Flickr user Lars Plougmann

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 3:20 AM

The USGS Liquefaction Susceptibility Map for the San Francisco peninsula may provide a more complete understanding why the foundation for Salesforce Tower is taking so long to build.

To paraphrase from the USGS website, liquefaction is loose sand and silt that is saturated with water, which may behave like a liquid when shaken by an earthquake. Much of the urban development in the Bay Area is on flatlands around the Bay margins, where liquefaction is most likely. Especially vulnerable are areas that were filled with pumped or dredged material many decades ago to create "made" land. All areas in the Bay Area have the potential to be shaken hard enough for susceptible sediment to liquefy.

USGS Liquefaction Susceptibility Map/San Francisco peninsula
Credit: United States Geological Survey
http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/sfgeo/liq.../aboutliq.html

Map Legend
Source: USGS

As Salesforce Tower is located in an area with a "very high" susceptibility for liquefaction, it should be no surprise great care is being taken with the foundation.

Last edited by ITB495; Oct 23, 2015 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 11:47 AM

Looks great

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:50 AM

I have mixed feelings about this tower. I work with Salesforce 8 hours a day and like it but feel like they're over-glorified. They are literally taking over the country. Sure I'm fine with them having their own skyscraper but nothing more...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Well, they already have three of them at this intersection alone: 50 Fremont, 350 Mission and this tower (though only this one is actually named after them). They also almost got naming rights for 110 Bishopsgate in London, but apparently that deal fell through.

They actually own 50 Fremont; the rest are leased.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 9:56 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Is that rebar (darker gray area on the lower right), or am I just seeing what I want to see?

I've been watching the construction cam pretty closely since last week and it sure looks like they've been moving rebar down into the hole. But I can't be sure.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapeskyer View Post
I have mixed feelings about this tower. I work with Salesforce 8 hours a day and like it but feel like they're over-glorified. They are literally taking over the country. Sure I'm fine with them having their own skyscraper but nothing more...
Buddy, enjoy SF is getting this very cool supertall. You want taking over the country ... look at Philadelphia and Comcast. Not only will Comcast have the tallest 2 buildings in this city (at 975ft and 1,121ft), they just slapped their logo atop 30 Rock in NYC! Now that is taking over.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Is that rebar (darker gray area on the lower right), or am I just seeing what I want to see?

I've been watching the construction cam pretty closely since last week and it sure looks like they've been moving rebar down into the hole. But I can't be sure.
It's too bad the sun is so low in the sky right now, it makes it hard to see. But I'm pretty sure that you are right. If you compare the pics over the last few days, it certainly looks like the hole is filling in with rebar.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Buddy, enjoy SF is getting this very cool supertall. You want taking over the country ... look at Philadelphia and Comcast. Not only will Comcast have the tallest 2 buildings in this city (at 975ft and 1,121ft), they just slapped their logo atop 30 Rock in NYC! Now that is taking over.
Looking on the bright side of the militant NIMBYism of SF, corporate logos are not allowed to littler the skyline atop the buildings. So I will give them credit for that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture