HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:38 AM

from 57th street looking west

designation of floors just below concrete cap. The level 3 of top penthouse is at 345m and the top mechanical floor above windbreak is at 383m

view from its street level entrance.
by me

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:40 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 16, 2019 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 12:13 PM

i was in the area yesterday and i bring you new pictures because i noticed that the cocoon kinda jumped, then i zoomed in and i saw new steelwork on top of the concrete body. if you see NYGUY first and second pictures you may also notice the steel crown is underway

the steelwork is evident behind the cocoon ( using a truss system for that lower segment)

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:00 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:08 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

^ You can see the crown up there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophpl View Post

the steelwork is evident behind the cocoon ( using a truss system for that lower segment)

Yes, this is the crown that this tower deserves.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxkS6DeFczP/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 17, 2019 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; May 19, 2019 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:58 AM

top of the Rock

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it looks like the next level, with just the two girders up so far, is not a setback.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 8:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; May 21, 2019 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:00 PM

I love how the east facing facade is glittering in the sun.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:30 AM
Astorian

May 22nd, 2019

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:21 PM

This tower appears in my latest video from Top of Rock yesterday, By me QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFB5McNX9Tw

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:18 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.mansionglobal.com/amp/ar...al-woes-126940

A Billionaire’s Row Building Notches Penthouse Sale Despite Legal Woes
A unit at 111 West 57th Street, which plays a role in two high profile lawsuits, sells for ‘close to’ its $58 million asking price.

BY KATHERINE CLARKE
MAY 23, 2019

Quote:
A penthouse apartment at 111 West 57th Street, a new luxury development on New York’s Billionaire’s Row that has been at the center of two high profile legal battles, is in contract to sell for "close to" its asking price of $58 million, according to the developer.

The home—a 7,175-square-foot duplex with three bedrooms—is the one of the two most expensive listings to go into contract in New York so far this year, according to research by Manhattan real-estate firm Olshan Realty. A penthouse at 212 Fifth Avenue, which was also asking $58 million, recently entered contract as well, according to listings website StreetEasy.
Quote:
The project is locally known as the Steinway Building, as it incorporates the historic former Steinway & Sons piano store building into its design. The 1920s-era rotunda-style building served as home to Steinway for about 90 years, and had a performance space where pianists like Sergei Rachmaninoff were known to have practiced. The project will comprise about 14 apartments inside the Steinway building and 46 full-floor and duplex units in the connected tower.

The lower floors of the original Steinway building will serve as the lobby according to interior designer Bill Sofield, whose clients have included companies like Tom Ford, Harry Winston and Ralph Lauren, according to his website.
Quote:
Mr. Sofield said the updated design of the rotunda was inspired by photos of the original 1925 design, which features a latticework dome wrapped in velvet. The blackened steel latticework was re-created using 3-D printing technology. The facade of the limestone building was resurfaced, and damaged stone was replaced with pieces from the original quarry in Indiana used during construction in the 1920s. The original piano loading dock was turned into a porte cochere.

"That was one of the great rooms of New York," Mr. Sofield said of the ground-floor showroom, noting that the glass display window was specially designed to eliminate glare, making the pianos look close enough to touch.
Quote:
The in-contract penthouse, seen in a rendering above, has a formal great room with ceilings of more than 26 feet and smoke gray oak floors. It spans the full width of the tower with unobstructed views of Central Park through floor-to-ceiling windows framed in bronze.

The master suite, located on the upper floor of the duplex, has its own sitting room, a wet bar and two dressing rooms. The building’s amenities include an 82-foot indoor swimming pool, a fitness center and a private dining room.

Mr. Stern said he expects construction on the Steinway portion of the building to be completed by the end of the year. The tower portion of the project is slated to be finished early next year, he said. At 1,428 feet, it will be among the tallest buildings in New York.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
This tower appears in my latest video from Top of Rock yesterday, By me QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFB5McNX9Tw
Simply fantastic!!!!

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 5:27 PM

Those tubs look uncomfortable.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Those tubs look uncomfortable.

Not everyone feels the same...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxyNm3Alv5r/

Quote:
I’m not entirely certain I’d ever leave if this was my bath tub. The Steinway is truly a modern day masterpiece.
Quote:
Gorgeous! I'd leave only to get more wine!
Quote:
You would have to drag me out of this tub...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxBZpjnJI-5/

https://www.archdaily.com/915742/sho...ral-park-photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive