HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 12:55 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Start a petition with some world-renowned architects and have the demand for it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 5:15 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ Start a petition with some world-renowned architects and have the demand for it.
I don't think a no-fly zone is possible in downtown Miami because of the way the airport is situated. I think if that were the case, they would have already done it. Having the 1,010 feet tall height restriction per the 2005 agreement with the FAA that had it raised at least 200 feet is not so bad considering Singapore has one of the best skylines in the world with a 919 feet height limit. At least we can just barely have supertalls in downtown Miami.

Then, of course, as I've mentioned before, we could always develop another business district outside of MIA flight paths. That would be a lot easier than moving the airport as things currently stand.
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 5:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I Just did and it's on these two websities at

https://www.change.org/organizations...downtown_miami

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-...zones-in-miami

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 5:40 PM

We're mad as hell and we aren't going to take it anymore!!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
We're mad as hell and we aren't going to take it anymore!!!
I Know that's right.

We need miami to be the city that it was, we need the miami heat to win game 7, we need a no fly zone to downtown miami.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:10 AM

at the above person, good luck with that.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:50 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I don't think a no-fly zone is possible in downtown Miami because of the way the airport is situated. I think if that were the case, they would have already done it. Having the 1,010 feet tall height restriction per the 2005 agreement with the FAA that had it raised at least 200 feet is not so bad considering Singapore has one of the best skylines in the world with a 919 feet height limit. At least we can just barely have supertalls in downtown Miami.

Then, of course, as I've mentioned before, we could always develop another business district outside of MIA flight paths. That would be a lot easier than moving the airport as things currently stand.
Certain areas in downtown could be set aside for buildings that could go up to the height restrictions of the rest of the nation. Those areas can also be the places where Miami's signature supertalls could be. All the condos going up right now are merely just infill that the rest of the city needs, especially in the ghettos and neighbors just north of Midtown and Downtown. But if nothing can be done about MIA's flight paths, the skyline and city as a whole can continue to be as dense as Miami Beach. South Florida has all the environmental factors and continued growth to someday be as dense as other metros like NY,LA, Chicago, SF, etc.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:28 AM

During critical mass this past Friday, the thought crossed my mind on how awesome the rides will be once all the construction is completed. I've considered going to downtown, and taking photos of some of these sites. But seeing all these photos from above ground level have made that point useless.

Ido enjoy all these great photos and renderings you guys have contributed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 8:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes View Post
During critical mass this past Friday, the thought crossed my mind on how awesome the rides will be once all the construction is completed. I've considered going to downtown, and taking photos of some of these sites. But seeing all these photos from above ground level have made that point useless.

Ido enjoy all these great photos and renderings you guys have contributed.
Thank you, and you are welcome.

Quote:
Certain areas in downtown could be set aside for buildings that could go up to the height restrictions of the rest of the nation. Those areas can also be the places where Miami's signature supertalls could be.
Have you seen this map before? This is the result of the 2005 agreement with the FAA, the City of Miami, MIA, and developers interested. Supertalls can be no taller than 1,010 feet in downtown Miami and that is in the areas specified.

65404045xl8 by QuantumX, on Flickr
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:02 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ That almost matches with my idea. At least with the two lower districts, the FAA could allow towers in a few places to exceed 1,010 ft. I have a feeling that not all flight paths go right over Downtown Miami.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
at the above person, good luck with that.
Because it's the truth, I'm sick of the FAA period

No Fly Zones in downtown miami, we need to be bigger than that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
Because it's the truth, I'm sick of the FAA period

No Fly Zones in downtown miami, we need to be bigger than that.
Just ignore FAA. I'm being too tired of them about the FAA. Just stay away from FAA. Ignore them! FAA is a smart mouth.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Good god...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Just ignore FAA. I'm being too tired of them about the FAA. Just stay away from FAA. Ignore them! FAA is a smart mouth.
How about abolish the FAA completely.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:40 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Didnt' Reagan try this in the 1980s?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:08 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
If it's possible, just ask the FAA to rearrange the flight paths for MIA so that east-west paths don't go over Downtown. I had another idea (that will probably never happen) that call for raising the height limit for any part of the city east of I-95.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:34 AM

Quote:
I think it is very good idea. Abolished the FAA! FAA is a smartass.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Good god...
What the rest of us were thinking. More like the Picard face palm though.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:37 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
If it's possible, just ask the FAA to rearrange the flight paths for MIA so that east-west paths don't go over Downtown.
If it were that simple, it would have been done already.

Quote:
I had another idea (that will probably never happen) that call for raising the height limit for any part of the city east of I-95.
That is what the 2005 agreement was all about and what you see in the map above is the result.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:51 PM

More real world news:

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/130606/story1.shtml

Quote:
6,200 condos on tap for Miami's core

By Marilyn Bowden
Inventory in the Brickell and central business district condo market continues its rapid decline, resulting in price increases and proposals for development of more than 6,200 new units in 18 projects.
According to Miami's Downtown Development Authority, fewer than 500 units of the 23,000-plus constructed during the last development cycle remain on the market. As a result, "we're seeing a conscientious price increase," said authority Board Member Alicia Cervera Lamadrid, managing partner of Cervera Real Estate. "They are rising slowly and in response to demand as inventory dwindles."
"The market has eaten up all that inventory," said Miguel Correa, district sales manager in The Keyes Co.'s Brickell office. "Most of those buildings came due at the bottom of the crisis, so prices were cut in half, and that brought traffic. Now traffic is building price."
In April 2011, he said, the average sales price of a condo in Brickell was $240,000; in April of this year, it was $330,000. Over the same two-year period, the number of properties sold per month increased 16%, the number under contract shot up 57% and inventory shrank 36%.
"That tells us there is real demand," Mr. Correa said. "CityCentre is a game changer. With restaurants, bars, nightlife, high-end shopping, theaters and parking, residents will have everything."
Some brokers say they're seeing more sales to end users rather than investors, many of whom rent their units out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations