HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:10 PM

Winnipeg | Pump House | 24 Floors | Cancelled

Proposed 24 Floor, 220-unit Apartment/Commercial/Retail Tower.

Located at 109 James Ave in Winnipeg's East Exchange district.
  • Developer: Peter Anadranistakis
  • Initial Proposed/Design by: Sotirios Kotoulas
  • Estimated Cost: $70 Million
  • Projected Start Date: March/April 2014

The Tower is to be built over the historic James Avenue Pump Station.Constructed in the early 20th century (1906), to provide water pressure to fight fires. The pump station pressurized Red River water to 300 psi to reach fires at higher elevations. The James Ave Pump Station defended the tower and allowed the city to grow vertically.

The Facade of the building and the pumps/machinery still present, will be preserved and integrated into the structure while creating an indoor winter garden inside.Foundation will include 18 caissons drilled inside pumping station not disturbing the pump engines.

Other Proposed features of structure
  • 9,000 sq. ft. grocery store
  • Cafe / Restaurant
  • 6-7 Storey Parkade, (540 to 630 stalls adjacent to the structure), potentially joining with nearby structures via tunnel and ringed with retail and commercial shops along James Avenue.
  • Elevators and mechanical equipment constructed on exterior walls.

Artists Rendering of Proposal:

JamieDavidExchange

Large image: Click

Headhorse

Pump House Today

Sources:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...?device=mobile

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...238940721.html

http://sotirioscorp.com/projects/jam...e-pump-station

http://winnipegsun.com

**** Note: Please note that this information is only preliminary. The height variance change in the Exchange area to build this structure, was recently approved. Their are several other conditions that must be approved for construction to begin. The parkade information was provided by the developer and the actual structures construction is an integral part of this development and needed to proceed. No decisions have been finalized reg: It's construction.

THE downtown development committee approved a variance order with five conditions:

The building's final design must be approved by the historical building committee. *
The project must be completed within two years.
All existing pumps within the original building must be incorporated into the project.
All mechanical pumps must be accessible to visitors.
All final designs must be approved by the downtown development committee. *

Please let me know if any corrections/changes are needed, and any new or detailed information becomes available. Let's hope this one get's on track soon.

Last edited by Cyro; Jan 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM. Reason: Sound Advice

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 10:17 PM

All previous info on this proposed developement:

Winnipeg's Exchange District | East/West | Development

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:11 PM

Interior/Exterior of Pump House Machinery and architecture.

Interior of the High Pressure Pumping Station during construction, ca 1906.

Interior of the High Pressure Pumping Station, ca 1980.

Exterior:Before it was decommissioned in 1986, ca 1980.

(Images Courtesy of the City of Winnipeg, Planning Department)

After 27 years of vacancy, the Pump House will have new life once again.

Source

The Vision. Render of the project with the Red River in the foreground along
Winnipeg's growing Waterfront Dr. in the Exchange District.

Source

Last edited by Cyro; Jan 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: circa date

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:20 PM

Great thread Cyro. Looking forward to seeing this one go through! Looks nice and clean in the circa 1906!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Great thread Cyro. Looking forward to seeing this one go through! Looks nice and clean in the circa 1906!
Thx BJ...it did look pretty nice in 1906....maybe we should leave it as is??

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Are you sure? I don't think flourescent tube lighting existed like that in 1906. Also, the filename of the image is 'JAinterior1980.jpg'.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Are you sure? I don't think flourescent tube lighting existed like that in 1906. Also, the filename of the image is 'JAinterior1980.jpg'.

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/Heritage/Jame...ngStation.html

Wrong caption for the photo provided, photo below it on the site was the right one needed. Happens.

Interior of the High Pressure Pumping Station, ca 1980.

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/Heritage/Jame...ngStation.html

Thx for noticing it. Better? images/JAinterior1906.jpg?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:18 AM

would be great to have this height in that area, but this thing looks really, really ugly in those renders.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 6:16 AM

Front page Pumphouse controversy...

@WinnipegNews: Here's your first look at Friday's @WinnipegNews: http://t.co/dNNg5MmDuI

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 9:34 AM

Winnipeg is sure getting some very nice-looking tower-type proposals as-of-late. I'm impressed!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 1:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wtf.........

the city has been working with them and did even bother to check if anything this show a large amount of incompitance at city hall

Last edited by 1ajs; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wtf.........

the city has been working with them and did even bother to check if anything this show a large amount of incompitance at city hall
Why? No permits have been applied for and no construction documents have been made yet. The City has already said that you don't need to be an Architect to apply for a variance. When (and if) the time comes for them to apply for a building permit, the drawings will have to be stamped by a Architect registered with the Province of Manitoba. I would bet they are currently working with a local Architecture firm. So it is really a story about nothing.

It is wrong to claim to be an Architect if you are not but other than that, I believe that anyone can DESIGN anything. It just cant get built without a registered Architect and Engineer stamp.

If I recall, the Architect designing the Inuit Art Gallery addition is not registered in Manitoba. That is why they are working with a local firm - Cibinel. This is likely what is happening here.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:35 PM

Pump house designer a fraud. Incompetence by city embarrassing.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...?device=mobile

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:01 PM
the first stamp is free

(what I posted in the Construction thread about this...)

Quote:
^ meh. Kind of a non story. Stamped plans aren't required, so that isn't even a concern at this point, and no "rules" have been broken.

The fact he suggested he is a professor at the UofM is a little concerning, but then again, we was at one point, so a bit misleading, but whatever.

The story should have little ramification to the project.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Why? No permits have been applied for and no construction documents have been made yet. The City has already said that you don't need to be an Architect to apply for a variance. When (and if) the time comes for them to apply for a building permit, the drawings will have to be stamped by a Architect registered with the Province of Manitoba. I would bet they are currently working with a local Architecture firm. So it is really a story about nothing.

It is wrong to claim to be an Architect if you are not but other than that, I believe that anyone can DESIGN anything. It just cant get built without a registered Architect and Engineer stamp.

If I recall, the Architect designing the Inuit Art Gallery addition is not registered in Manitoba. That is why they are working with a local firm - Cibinel. This is likely what is happening here.
its not quite what is happening here...he's not registered anywhere....but no rules have been broken....it is surprising that a building as complex as this would not have someone with more experience behind it...if I was the financing group putting my $70m on the line I would want someone with experience...but its their choice.

at least he's a Winnipegger and isn't stamping drawings done in China...that is a way bigger issue if you ask me.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:28 PM
the first stamp is free

At the end of the day, I think the way this is playing out all but confirms the building, if completed, will look very little like the renderings.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
its not quite what is happening here...he's not registered anywhere....but no rules have been broken....it is surprising that a building as complex as this would not have someone with more experience behind it...if I was the financing group putting my $70m on the line I would want someone with experience...but its their choice.

at least he's a Winnipegger and isn't stamping drawings done in China...that is a way bigger issue if you ask me.
Sounds to me like a local architect opposed to the project called the Free Press with some sour grapes trying to make something about nothing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
At the end of the day, I think the way this is playing out all but confirms the building, if completed, will look very little like the renderings.
The renderings did seem a little too good to be true. I have to admit I'll be less enthusiastic about this project if it turns out to be a stucco slab covered in punched windows.

That said, even if the finished product doesn't turn out to be a Pritzker Prize winner, I'd still be happy to see more density in that area.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The renderings did seem a little too good to be true.
Too good to be true? I'm all for the density, and I don't mind mind the height in theory, but I think the design for this tower is quite poor. The forms seem completely incongruous with the base (the original pumphouse), and for a mostly glass building it sure is clunky and heavy. What a stinker.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 5:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
Too good to be true? I'm all for the density, and I don't mind mind the height in theory, but I think the design for this tower is quite poor. The forms seem completely incongruous with the base (the original pumphouse), and for a mostly glass building it sure is clunky and heavy. What a stinker.
I am not a fan either.

The beige/gold glazing looked horribly 1980s and the bulky columns on the north side looked terrible.

Hopefully someone a bit more skilled will be involved in this project if it even gets that far. Unfortunately I have a feeling they will be looking for the cheapest architect they can find... not the best.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan