HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 1:19 AM
Moran supreme

So McMahon, what to do?

So with CalgaryNext looking to be no more and a possibility of a new arena at Stampede Park, where does that leave the Stampeders? CSEC does not own McMahon and most likely are not interested in throwing a bunch of money into McMahon to upgrade it.

As such, is there an appetite out there for a new CFL stadium in Calgary? Does the public care, does CSEC care?

If there is, then where?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 2:03 AM

Seeing what they have in Regina I would love to get to go to Stamps games at a stadium like that and would even think of buying my own seasons tickets.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:58 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Me too.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
So with CalgaryNext looking to be no more and a possibility of a new arena at Stampede Park, where does that leave the Stampeders? CSEC does not own McMahon and most likely are not interested in throwing a bunch of money into McMahon to upgrade it.

As such, is there an appetite out there for a new CFL stadium in Calgary? Does the public care, does CSEC care?

If there is, then where?
Blow it up.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 12:26 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Blow it up.
That's the UofC's call, not CSEC's.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
That's the UofC's call, not CSEC's.

...and that's why nothing will happen to it. There is no need for the University to do anything. The only way the Stamps get a new barn is if it is built elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:26 PM

As a long time Stamps fan and STH, it makes me sad how they are treated like 3rd class citizens in all of this. McMahon desperately needs to be replaced, the Stamps simply won't be able to draw new fans and compete for high end players with what is basically a Texas high school stadium. And renovations aren't going to do it.

I'm afraid the Flames will just give up on the Stamps and sell them and then we'll be back to the old days of flipping owners while the team goes down the drain. And I'm getting the sense that more and more people in this town won't even really care if that happens.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:35 PM

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
As a long time Stamps fan and STH, it makes me sad how they are treated like 3rd class citizens in all of this. McMahon desperately needs to be replaced, the Stamps simply won't be able to draw new fans and compete for high end players with what is basically a Texas high school stadium. And renovations aren't going to do it.

I'm afraid the Flames will just give up on the Stamps and sell them and then we'll be back to the old days of flipping owners while the team goes down the drain. And I'm getting the sense that more and more people in this town won't even really care if that happens.
You can't force people to care about the Stamps or the CFL though. It's a limited market, and a new stadium isn't going to change that. I have zero interest in ever going though I wouldn't be against say, $50 million going to a modest stadium. The owners and whoever else can figure out the rest of the economics to make it work.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:01 PM

There is tons of room on the current site to build a Stadium / Fieldhouse and have some development all around once McMahon is demolished.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:25 PM

Just throwing this thought out there - I don't know enough about either to say that it would absolutely work...
But what about a new Grandstand / Football stadium combo? It seems that either only get used for a handful of weeks a year (for their primary purposes). Could a football field fit within or overlapping the track and have retractable seats to fill in the gaps?
That'll bring the stadium down to Stampede Park, and could build the new arena just north of the park.

(just an idea anyways, seems like putting those out here can get you crucified lately lol)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You can't force people to care about the Stamps or the CFL though. It's a limited market, and a new stadium isn't going to change that. I have zero interest in ever going though I wouldn't be against say, $50 million going to a modest stadium. The owners and whoever else can figure out the rest of the economics to make it work.
You're talking about a team that has consistently drawn about 30 to 35 thousand fans a game for the last 20 years... surely there is some kind of broad level of interest, and moving out of an outdated facility into a modern one would probably entice a good number of people who are on the fence into getting season tickets.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:50 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by googspecial View Post
Just throwing this thought out there - I don't know enough about either to say that it would absolutely work...
But what about a new Grandstand / Football stadium combo? It seems that either only get used for a handful of weeks a year (for their primary purposes). Could a football field fit within or overlapping the track and have retractable seats to fill in the gaps?
That'll bring the stadium down to Stampede Park, and could build the new arena just north of the park.

(just an idea anyways, seems like putting those out here can get you crucified lately lol)
I've had this same thought as well and for the reasons you mention.
I think at the end if the day however the facility would not serve it's intended uses very well, particularly as a football stadium. Just too many conflicts and differences between the uses. I think it would be great to get the stadium close to the arena and Stampede so when an entertainment district is built up it could benefit all facilities.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not saying you can force people to care about the Stamps or the CFL. Like Esquire said, a new stadium like what they have in Regina would entice new fans and keep the current ones (not to mention the free agents you can attract). Also - I'm not sure what you mean by "limited market". How is Calgary more limited than say Regina or Winnipeg?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 8:53 PM

Limited in the number of people who watch CFL. Could they grow it? Maybe, but if they haven't been able to do it up to this point I don't see a new stadium changing it.

I think they need to figure out what is affordable for them to build and finance themselves, add on a $50 million public ask, and build whatever that total is. I don't think that would be too hard a sell for them to make to council or the public. Beyond that, I think they will hit justifiable resistance.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 9:02 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
There is tons of room on the current site to build a Stadium / Fieldhouse and have some development all around once McMahon is demolished.
But this all.comes back to the UofC - McMahon more than fits their needs so why would they bother with demolishing McMahon. If McMahon and the lands it sits on weren't owned by the UofC, then the process of demolishing a McMahon would be quote a bit easier but this just isn't the case. CSEC won't be throwing any major monies at McMahon and most likely are not interested in a new facility there either.

So another stadium.but where? Firepark? Gotta have room for tailgating .

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
But this all.comes back to the UofC - McMahon more than fits their needs so why would they bother with demolishing McMahon. If McMahon and the lands it sits on weren't owned by the UofC, then the process of demolishing a McMahon would be quote a bit easier but this just isn't the case. CSEC won't be throwing any major monies at McMahon and most likely are not interested in a new facility there either.

So another stadium.but where? Firepark? Gotta have room for tailgating .
I'm sure the city and Uni could come up with some sort of arrangement similar to what they already have. What was the plan for who would own what in the massive redevelopment of the McMahon site from several years back?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Seeing what they have in Regina I would love to get to go to Stamps games at a stadium like that and would even think of buying my own seasons tickets.
Seeing as City of Regina owns the stadium I would have no problem with the city owning it for the Stamps or Flames.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwocents View Post
Seeing as City of Regina owns the stadium I would have no problem with the city owning it for the Stamps or Flames.
Which is exactly what was proposed with CalgaryNext

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
...and that's why nothing will happen to it. There is no need for the University to do anything. The only way the Stamps get a new barn is if it is built elsewhere.
The Bombers were able to strike a deal with the U of Manitoba for IGF. Is something similar really unbelievable in Calgary?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates