HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:33 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
Ya. When they were talking about it on CBC radio one of the commentators mentioned that the City was able to defer/avoid upgrades to the roads in this area on account of the RR going through. Apparently, the Provence has made some kind of noise like they will help the city 'integrate' the SWRR with the current road network -whatever that means.

Still, I think you're dead-on. Glenmore, Crowchild and Sarcee are going to be parking lots once the SW leg is complete.
Are going to be? They already are as it is.
This announcement really sucks. The one piece of the RR that will really benefit me in everyday life and it get's deferred. In all likelihood I will never see it completed in my working lifetime now.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
I'm not sure how much sense this does make. If they're going ahead with the RR -and they seem determined to make it happen- why not just get it done?

I get that it makes the budget look a little better this year but how much money will it save in the long run? I ask this question for a couple reasons:

First, because interest rates right now are about as low as they will ever go. Borrowing money will never be cheaper. When they do want to start construction on the west leg, who knows what the picture will look like. I would wager there's a strong chance interest rates are higher.

Next, wages are on the way down and unemployment is on the way up in Alberta. The government has a prime job creation infrastructure project nearly shovel ready. The government is setting themselves up to actually start this project at a time when oil may have rebounded and labour is in short supply and higher cost again.

Third, the Provence is already starting to take hits (legitimate in my opinion) over lack of funding in infrastructure for cities. Granted that a road is not transit, which is the most needed area in the major centers but it would still give them some cover to say that they're investing in Alberta when it needs it the most.
Some good points here^.

While I'm not happy about the delay on the West leg, I'm pleased they are proceeding with the SW so the agreement with the Tsuu T'ina isn't for not.
If we get some upgrades to Sarcee Tr. In the meantime - all the better.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:21 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Construction on the Bowfort interchange will start soon.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...terchange.aspx
This is great - been waiting on this one for a very long while.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
This is part of the proposal for Sarcee Trail in association with the Paskapoo Slopes development near the Trans Canada:

(Credit: Twitter @SaveTheSlopes)

Not sure what kind of timing they are talking about for that.

It will be interesting to see what is in store for Richmond Road and Bow Trail.
Too bad there's no inclusion of better west 16 Ave <--> south Sarcee Trail improvements. It would be nice to see a 2 lane NB Sarcee Tr --> WB 16 Ave flyover and a 2 lane EB 16 Ave --> Sarcee Tr ramp.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
This is part of the proposal for Sarcee Trail in association with the Paskapoo Slopes development near the Trans Canada:

Not sure what kind of timing they are talking about for that.
One would assume it's coincident with the Trinity development. It also appears that Trinity will pay for it - "Trinity will build the Sarcee Trail interchange access/egress."

This PDF has a better quality version:
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:39 PM

They should incorporate a NB Sarcee to WB Trans-Canada high-speed flyover. The loop and or turn will be overwhelmed very quickly especially if Sarcee becomes free-flow and the West Segment of the Ring Road is delayed. (As is likely)

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Apr 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:02 AM
Near Generational

No dice, that would be horribly expensive for something that is guaranteed to be obsolete.

It wouldn't even improve traffic flow in the interim as Bowfort won't be done for a few years yet.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:48 AM

I disagree. The traffic going down that hill slows down just after Bow Trail in the right lane during afternoon rush hour. Most people are turning right onto 16th Ave East or West. If the westbound cars could use the left lane via a flyover onto 16th Ave West that would balance it out a bit and increase the speed of the cars vs the crawl it is today. Also, I don't think Stoney being built will have much effect on reducing these cars or the need for this, at least by the time it's actually built.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
I disagree. The traffic going down that hill slows down just after Bow Trail in the right lane during afternoon rush hour. Most people are turning right onto 16th Ave East or West. If the westbound cars could use the left lane via a flyover onto 16th Ave West that would balance it out a bit and increase the speed of the cars vs the crawl it is today. Also, I don't think Stoney being built will have much effect on reducing these cars or the need for this, at least by the time it's actually built.
You should look closely at the new design, because they are making significant changes to the lane arrangements. They are physically separating westbound and northbound traffic before the bridge. Traffic continuing north will have to exit Sarcee early and go through the new roundabout. Eastbound traffic will exit right as they do today. After that eastbound exit, the only choice will be to go west. The two lanes will merge and then go directly around the loop.

This largely accomplishes what you want. Eastbound traffic must use the right lane but westbound traffic is fine in either.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:36 PM

Looking at it again. I don't think the people using the Traffic Circle can access the WB loop. They would have to go to the "Westbound Connector" as I think that there will be a physical barrier between the two streams. THIS would be better. But I guess we shall see when it is built.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:08 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Anyone get to the Bowfort Rd. Interchange open house tonight?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:33 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^very interesting - love reading (& seeing) the history on this.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 10:06 PM

Wildrose leader Brian Jean promises to finish Calgary ring road by 2021

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...g-road-by-2021

Jean said the Wildrose would use existing funds from the Municipal Sustainability Initiative as well as allocating the party’s proposed 10/10 MSI plan, which sees municipalities receive 10 per cent of provincial tax revenue and 10 per cent of budget surpluses, to kick-start construction of the long-delayed southwest portion of the road.

“Financing for this project is estimated at approximately at $1.5 billion,” he said. “(Funding) would predominately come from the Regional Infrastructure Fund featured in our 10/10 MSI plan for supporting our cities.”

That translates to about $2 billion annually with $1.6 billion from the Municipal Sustainability Initiative fund, $110 million in water and wastewater funding and $300 million from a new regional infrastructure fund that would receive 15 per cent of all future surpluses, Jean said.

“Because it is based on a fixed portion it is predictable, it is stable, it is not subject to oil prices and it is not subject to broken promises of PC politicians,” he said.

Quote:
Last month’s provincial budget saw the Prentice Tories announce the west leg of the ring road — stretching from 16th Ave. N.W. to Glenmore Trail — would not see construction begin until 2021 due to plummeting oil prices. But the Tories maintain the longer southwest portion running through Tsuu T’ina Nation land would start shortly.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 10:39 PM

Is he basically taking municipal designated money to pay for a provincial responsibility? Or am I reading that wrong?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is he basically taking municipal designated money to pay for a provincial responsibility? Or am I reading that wrong?
That's kind of what I got.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:39 AM

Would have to find their 10/10 announcement to tell for sure. When I looked earlier it didn't show itself readily.

In any case, I don't reall yunderstand how the Wildrose is going to build more, fund more to the cities, and cut the total dollar amount but I guess that is just details.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Would have to find their 10/10 announcement to tell for sure. When I looked earlier it didn't show itself readily.

In any case, I don't reall yunderstand how the Wildrose is going to build more, fund more to the cities, and cut the total dollar amount but I guess that is just details.
Didn't you hear it in the debate? He's going to do it by NOT RAISING TAXES. He was very on message. Maybe math isn't his strong suit.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't you hear it in the debate? He's going to do it by NOT RAISING TAXES. He was very on message. Maybe math isn't his strong suit.
Reading the original press release it appears that they are taking funds from the bonus MSI funding rather than the existing MSI funding. The promise is pretty hollow considering its contingent on there being surpluses in 2016 that fund the bonus MSI... Math.

Quote:

CALGARY, AB (April 29, 2015): Today, Wildrose announced a commitment to complete Alberta’s major ring road projects and reverse the Prentice PCs delay of the final critical leg of the Calgary ring road, Wildrose Leader Brian Jean said today.

“Drivers in our cities are looking for relief, and they’re looking for leadership that stands up for their interests. In Calgary, we know drivers can’t wait another decade to get this last section of ring road built,” Jean said. “Cities like Calgary and Edmonton are vibrant and alive, and deserve a commitment from their leaders to keep our cities strong. Wildrose will make this project a top priority on our public infrastructure list, and do it without raising taxes.”

The Prentice PC Plan quietly announced in Budget 2015 that they would not complete the ring road for another decade.

Wildrose pledged to use the Regional Infrastructure Fund component of the Wildrose 10/10 MSI plan to start construction on the critical west leg of the Calgary Ring Road by or before the planned 2017 start date.

The Regional Infrastructure Fund receives $300-400 million from the 10-10 MSI envelope and 15 per cent of all government surpluses under the Wildrose savings plan. Boosted through anticipated surplus by 2017, this fund would be used for projects of regional importance that support our municipalities, such as ring road and LRT projects.

“Dead-ending the ring road into Sarcee and Glenmore Trail makes no sense. This project is a priority for Calgary, it’s a priority for Albertans who live south and west of Calgary, and it’s a priority for us,” Jean said. “This would be the first priority for us out of our Regional Infrastructure Fund so the funding is already there. We need to keep Calgary moving and get the ring road built, and a Wildrose government would do just that.”
Source

Last edited by andasen; Apr 30, 2015 at 3:49 AM. Reason: Added the source

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:18 PM

Politicians long ago realized that saying you're going to do something is 90% as good as actually doing it. They also learned that if you repeat the same mantra enough people will believe it regardless of its relationship to reality. People

But to keep this thread on track, I don't believe any party will stop the SWRR now. It's on a timeline and the cost of failure is too high.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:28 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
On the topic of the Ring Road and the provincial election does anyone know where the NDP stands on finishing the SW portion in Calgary?

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure