HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:22 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Nice (1254 W Fulton). Amazing what can be done without a forced panderbrick base. Also, great to see the very early planning stages of this transition that is forthcoming of Fulton Market to much more residential development. In addition to this being common sense urban planning, it also just happens to align with market forces at the moment: The apartment market is quickly becoming absolutely bonkers. The office market in general is much more uncertain (development will be more individual tenant dependent), and that will continue for a while (not sure how long but not unreasonable to think the next couple years certainly).

Also, should call out the always relevant HPA > P/H.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
So is it safe yet to assume the COVID recession was just a hiccup and this cycle is still going strong? Seems like quite a few high rise proposals in the past few weeks.

Likely gets to my comment on the apartment market (I'm assuming 1254 Fulton is rental and not condo - though could always be wrong there). Its strong and maybe heading into white hot territory. This is a national phenomenon, fyi - not Chicago-specific in the least, but we're along for the ride.

So, I would expect to see lots more apartment proposals pop up remainder of this year and straight into next. In aggregate, these market forces will swamp increased ARO at least on the surface (however that is not to say that we will be getting as many new units proposed as we would without the revised ARO - that is clearly not the case as it still would have some supply constraining effect of course....that's just intro economics (impacting some projects much more than others).....but is to say that we won't be facing some sort of dearth of new proposals due to the revised ARO.......because of these strong supply-demand/pricing dynamics)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:40 PM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
1254 W. Fulton from Sterling Bay and HPA. Seems like it's going to be very cozy with 1215 Fulton.
Source

Goodbye parking lot!!

With the Revel space going as well...that's a full block transformed (knock on wood)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
1254 W. Fulton from Sterling Bay and HPA. Seems like it's going to be very cozy with 1215 Fulton.
Source

How sick would it be for their entire area to be party wall 20 floor midrises anywhere there's no historic buildings?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
How sick would it be for their entire area to be party wall 20 floor midrises anywhere there's no historic buildings?
W. Fulton is shaping up to be a skyscraper canyon like Wells St. Since Fulton is an E-W street, I can imagine it'll be a great location to watch Chicagohenge during the equinox

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 9:41 PM

Nice proposal. (believe its 1245)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 10:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
424 S Wabash is OK but the others are severely mediocre, and the previous design of this Washington St one was better than the current.
424 S Wabash is fascinating. With the building at 410 S Wabash that is U/C, that block will go from 0 to 100, real quick. Now if they could just renovate the Leiter II building after a few decades of Robert Morris College's deferred maintenance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
The mixed bag for the West Loop continues. I have this feeling a major reason folks have the perception that there is some sort of prevailing higher quality of design at work in Fulton/W Loop is that there is so much more construction concentrated here than any other neighborhood - so there's definitely more higher quality design, hands-down. Indeed, there's more of everything. But on a percentage basis? I don't buy that. Not for a second.
No, it's because Fulton Market buildings need to go through Landmarks review. Everything from brick selections to window systems needs to be reviewed and approved by committee, so developers have to bring the A game (although they definitely play to the crowd).

This new building on Washington is outside the landmark district.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 12:13 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
424 S Wabash is fascinating. With the building at 410 S Wabash that is U/C, that block will go from 0 to 100, real quick. Now if they could just renovate the Leiter II building after a few decades of Robert Morris College's deferred maintenance....

No, it's because Fulton Market buildings need to go through Landmarks review. Everything from brick selections to window systems needs to be reviewed and approved by committee, so developers have to bring the A game (although they definitely play to the crowd).

This new building on Washington is outside the landmark district.
Yet they are not brining their A game in many cases (in the landmark district - I fully realize Washington is outside of it, and not sure why you would think otherwise). Frankly, this was acknowledged in last weeks' Plan Commission exchange - and I am very glad to hear that that. While new construction inside of the landmark district does need to go through this process while elsewhere in the greater West Loop does not, it's a mixed bag inside and outside of (not in my view much different from most other neighborhoods, if you were to normalize for vast differences in volume of new construction). And - I'm thrilled to point out when we are in fact getting A game design in the landmark district - as with 1254 Fulton (at least from the vantage point in that rendering - I'd like to make sure we aren't getting a panderbricked-up base in another elevation).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 2:24 AM

We got a tower crane base at 354 N Union

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:18 PM
TL;DR

That angled wall is the mast for a little cable-stayed bridge that will link Halsted with the car dropoff... pretty neat.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
That angled wall is the mast for a little cable-stayed bridge that will link Halsted with the car dropoff... pretty neat.
I was wondering how they were going to tie that into Halsted. Great info and that will definitely be cool.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:07 PM
TL;DR

Yeah I think it will be a true cantilever, like a diving board. The end of that driveway can’t put any load onto the Halsted bridge, and it can’t put any load directly down since that’s the roof of the Kennedy.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think it will be a true cantilever, like a diving board. The end of that driveway can’t put any load onto the Halsted bridge, and it can’t put any load directly down since that’s the roof of the Kennedy.
You can see the masts formed in re-bar at the bottom of the picture. That bridge should be a very cool and unique feature to this project.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 6:33 PM

Making Way - the old ADM silos come down.

July 1

Location - location - locomotion

Not sure if this lot is part of the same project

July 19

July 22

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Not sure if this lot is part of the same project
I believe that's for 1200 W. Carroll (also Sterling Bay)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 12:27 AM

Chicago | 1043 W Fulton

July 1

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 6:25 AM

Great shots Harry. The silo will be missed imo. Those ADM silos are amazing. I was recently in western Kansas and its incredible how many there still are. They are a sight to behold in the plains -

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:12 PM

609 W Randolph

July 19

July 22

New Brick

Neighbors with old brick

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:41 PM

Bentham Condos - 146 W Erie

July 19

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
July 19

I dig this new brickwork, even if it is prefab.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations