HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 8:43 PM

That video had a lot of Canada in it I wouldn't read into it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
To be fair, they added quite a bit of shots Canada-wide, such as the Halifax harbor. It would be cool but I'd prefer to keep our European service and not have those flights lose passengers to Qatar.
I was very hesitant to allow more landing rights for the ME3 pre-covid, and if you would have asked me two years ago I would have agreed with you.

However, when push came to shove, Qatar was one of the few airlines in the world willing to fly stranded Canadians back to their country in April/May of 2020. Yes, there was a financial incentive for them but it was early days in the pandemic and we still weren't sure of all the health risks associated with the disease. A similar story unfolded with repatriation flights for Australians.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I would like to see 1 of the ME3 get daily landing rights at YYC. If this means we don't have multiple carriers to FRA (AC and LH/DE) or LON (AC/BA/WS) so be it. QR has strong connectivity in the Middle/Far East, India/Pakistan and even to some further points in Asia. All future growth areas. And there is still the whole connecting of two oil regions thing (regardless of where you stand on that industry).

YYC has been European centric for a long time, I think it's time to look beyond that continent and see if we wouldn't be better served connecting to one of the Gulf mega-hubs.

Unrelated note, but KLM also deserves a special appreciation for maintaining their flight throughout almost the entire pandemic. I doubt they made money every month but still stuck through the hard times and maintained a European link, more than can be said about AC or WS.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post

This may be an unpopular opinion but I would like to see 1 of the ME3 get daily landing rights at YYC.
None of the ME3 even have daily flights to YYZ, much less YYC. You can add TK to that list as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure