HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Adding a stop at Northland seems like an easy win, always figured it would happen in line with the NW transit study / OMGondola!! idea..

I'd much rather see Northland be the start of a SW LRT line, that would cross over to S Sarcee over Edworthy park, and continue on to signal hill, Tsuu T'ina developments and MRU

As for the infill stations on the south leg, I figure the placements are right, but the timing would have to be after a s-bahn style express train was running to offload crosstown traffic before more local stations could be added.

Lots of great infill potential in there though.. but before things progress to far, can't help wondering if it would be good to plan for a freeflow MacLeod right up to Glenmore?

The unintuitive jog over to 14 st in the SW ring road B-plan always bugged me, and the NIMBYS over there are quite the PITA.. on the other hand, all the service roads and parking lots along that stretch of MacLeod should make a free flow expansion a much easier win

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:00 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
Adding a stop at Northland seems like an easy win, always figured it would happen in line with the NW transit study / OMGondola!! idea..

I'd much rather see Northland be the start of a SW LRT line, that would cross over to S Sarcee over Edworthy park, and continue on to signal hill, Tsuu T'ina developments and MRU

As for the infill stations on the south leg, I figure the placements are right, but the timing would have to be after a s-bahn style express train was running to offload crosstown traffic before more local stations could be added.

Lots of great infill potential in there though.. but before things progress to far, can't help wondering if it would be good to plan for a freeflow MacLeod right up to Glenmore?

The unintuitive jog over to 14 st in the SW ring road B-plan always bugged me, and the NIMBYS over there are quite the PITA.. on the other hand, all the service roads and parking lots along that stretch of MacLeod should make a free flow expansion a much easier win
I am still surprised that after all these years they've NEVER seriously considered adding in the Northland Village station design it's obviousness. That used to piss me off as a teenager taking the C-Train around town and never being able to just hop off the train to see a movie at the Northland Village 5 Cineplex where I used to see many a show including Chain Reaction with Keanu Reeves as a nuclear research scientist... So you know, complete plausibility... like Denise Richards as Christmas Jones in that lesser Bond film...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:02 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I am still surprised that after all these years they've NEVER seriously considered adding in the Northland Village station design it's obviousness. That used to piss me off as a teenager taking the C-Train around town and never being able to just hop off the train to see a movie at the Northland Village 5 Cineplex where I used to see many a show including Chain Reaction with Keanu Reeves as a nuclear research scientist... So you know, complete plausibility... like Denise Richards as Christmas Jones in that lesser Bond film...
Red Line was not extended past Brentwood until 2003. When I moved to Calgary in 1997 I don't recall movie theatres at Northland Village?

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Red Line was not extended past Brentwood until 2003. When I moved to Calgary in 1997 I don't recall movie theatres at Northland Village?
Me neither. Is this a moment in the past, as there aren't anymore theatres in Northland Village? Even if there was, where was it? I just feel like Northland has become a dead mall of Calgary's shopping centre frenzy past...

It would be great if there was a Northland station, since I commute to that area everyday for school. That way I wouldn't have to change so many buses to get there.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Both Northland and Brentwood Malls had theatres.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
That used to piss me off as a teenager taking the C-Train around town and never being able to just hop off the train to see a movie at the Northland Village 5 Cineplex where I used to see many a show including Chain Reaction with Keanu Reeves as a nuclear research scientist... So you know, complete plausibility... like Denise Richards as Christmas Jones in that lesser Bond film...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Both Northland and Brentwood Malls had theatres.
I checked with my 44 year old Wife who grew up in Dalhousie and had misspent youth skipping classes from Churchill across the street from Northland Village. She does not remember any movie theatres at Northland Village or Brentwood malls.

Perhaps you are thinking of Crowfoot, which does have a Cineplex.

On the subject of putting a station at Northland Village, HELL NO!!! Peak period trains are all ready packed to/from Dalhousie station. I don’t know where the extra pax will fit on the train.

Another point not considered, the additional pax using Northland station might push some upstream pax to find alternative transportation options as the experience is degraded below minimum standard.

Last edited by Cage; Aug 27, 2018 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 12:27 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I checked with my 44 year old Wife who grew up in Dalhousie and had misspent youth skipping classes from Churchill across the street from Northland Village. She does not remember any movie theatres at Northland Village or Brentwood malls.

On the subject of putting a station at Northland Village, HELL NO!!! Peak period trains are all ready packed to/from Dalhousie station. I don’t know where the extra pax will fit on the train.

Another point not considered, the additional pax using Northland station might push some upstream pax to find alternative transportation options as the experience is degraded below minimum standard.
She doesn't remember very well for whatever reason(s) as there used to be five theatres at Northland, link. Opened in 1988, closed in 2002.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post

I distinctly remember seeing the movje "Stakeout" at Brentwood, that would have been the Thanksgiving long weekend 1987 as I walked to a house party in Charleswood afterwards. I saw "Born in the Fourth of July" at Northland between Christmas and New Years of 1989 and an extremely cold night and went to a Flames game afterwards. The Brentwood theatre closed about late 80's. Northland not long after Crowfoot opened.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure