Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 8:24 PM

Behind the Accidentally Resilient Design of Athens Apartments

Behind the Accidentally Resilient Design of Athens Apartments

July 15, 2020

By Feargus O'Sullivan

Read More: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...nic-apartments

Quote:
On first glance, a typical Athens polikatoikia doesn’t necessarily look like the answer to a host of urban issues. Built quickly and on the cheap — mainly from the 1950s to the 1980s — these modernist apartment buildings (pronounced “Pol-i-kat-i-KEE-A”) line street after street in the Greek capital, their repeated concrete facings and endless lines of unfurled balcony awnings giving the city an appearance of remarkable consistency. They may lack the elegance of Athens’ earlier neo-classical housing, but they have helped to create a city that is vibrant, socially integrated and (until recently) affordable, in which most residents’ housing offers broadly good living conditions.

- Greeks created their own funding system called antiparochi, in which developers saved themselves the cost of buying land by giving landowners a share of the constructed units when they were completed. “The best translation of the term is probably ‘flats for land,’ or as some people say, ‘quid pro quo,’” says Panos Dragonas, an architect and professor at Greece’s University of Patras. “The system saw landowners hand over their property, and in return get, say, two to five apartments back in the completed building to live in, or rent or sell. It was a bottom-up system of housing development not created by any law change by the government, though the state did offer motives for construction by granting tax breaks.” --- To keep costs down, developers adopted a modernist construction model — the Le Corbusier-developed Dom-Ino system, in which reinforced concrete pillars freed a building of the need for load-bearing interior walls.

- Despite the fast construction — usually to a civil engineer’s design rather than an architect’s — the generally family-sized apartments (i.e. 2-3 bedrooms) were often pleasant places to live. With deep, often wrap-around balconies that were frequently large enough to fit a full-sized dinner table and a wall of plants, the apartments had communal central heating (still a novelty across Europe in the 1950s), spacious common areas and surprisingly solid construction. --- The state contributed little or no cash to these buildings, but it did place limits on some aspects of their design. It ensured, for example, that any polikatoikia rising above six floors was set back in tiers from that floor upwards. This created a characteristic Athenian roof-scape, in which little ziggurats of penthouse-style flats, with broad wrap-around terraces, could be found topping many buildings, even in less wealthy areas.

- The resulting variety of apartments within the same building ensured a good deal of social mixing. “There were wealthier people on the upper floors,” says Dragonas, “people who had just arrived from the countryside further down and poor students in the basement. That sort of vertical stratification inside a five-story building helped Athens to avoid horizontal stratification — there weren’t really neighborhoods that were only rich or only poor. And the polikatoikias in the richest and the poorest areas were more or less the same building.” --- Not that these buildings were exclusively residential. The municipality of Athens only practiced zoning for heavy industry, leaving people free to set up shop in a polikatoikia. Even today, these buildings are often hives of activity, mixing offices, medical practices and even the odd workshop among homes.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 8:30 PM

Very interesting article. From the pics, Athens doesn't look like a beautiful city. On the other hand, their building arrangement certainly grants a great urban living for its citizens.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 8:36 PM

Athens is a truly ugly city, IMO. But it's extremely dense and urban, and sounds like its housing market works quite well.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 8:55 PM

I wouldn't call Athens ugly, but it's no Paris for sure. The city is not very photogenic other than the remnant structures from ancient Greece. But it feels very functional.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 9:58 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

This is pretty reminscent of the modern post war residential building all over Italy and Spain.
(A bit less so in France because we moved toward a more individual housing model for middle class but you can still find many similar buildings in southern cities like Nice).

Naples

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
This is pretty reminscent of the modern post war residential building all over Italy and Spain.
(A bit less so in France because we moved toward a more individual housing model for middle class but you can still find many similar buildings in southern cities like Nice).

Naples
I've never been in Naples or Athens, but I imagine the former had a much bigger historic/touristic core, right?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 10:34 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Naples has a much bigger old core.
Naples was a much bigger city from the Middle Age to the start of the Industrial era. It was the heart of a powerful kingdom.
Athens was just a small provincial town. It became a big city very recently in late 19th, early 20th century.

I don't know if there is really anything that would qualifiy as an historic core in Athens, pretty much everything is from the 20th century. The city has been destroyed several times.
The Acropolis doesn't count. It has never been an inhabited part of the city.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Naples has a much bigger old core.
Naples was a much bigger city from the Middle Age to the start of the Industrial era. It was the heart of a powerful kingdom.
Athens was just a small provincial town. It became a big city very recently in late 19th, early 20th century.

I don't know if there is really anything that would qualifiy as an historic core in Athens, pretty much everything is from the 20th century. The city has been destroyed several times.
The Acropolis doesn't count. It has never been an inhabited part of the city.
Naples might be the city with the most untapped potential in the whole world. They have everything to be the next Berlin or Barcelona, but the state of the world economy makes everything hard.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:33 PM

Athens has are some beautiful coastal suburbs. It's in a great location.

https://goo.gl/maps/3SYFcgWvBQ4qi3mW9
https://goo.gl/maps/BwFSSTA8yx9dpoJq9
https://goo.gl/maps/sag91RnB9ifCLoc78

But the city itself? Yep, it's definitely an ugly city. Atrociously ugly and dilapidated. I'm getting third world vibes. Truly a city of very ugly individual buildings, there's not a looker among them as far as you can see.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 1:37 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Athens isn't a pretty, manicured, historic city, but I wouldn't call it ugly.

The typical building stock is handsome enough, if not a bit nondescript & utilitarian. But the uniform mid-century apartment blocks create a consistent streetwall, with balconies providing life & greenery above street level. Streets are well-scaled and lined with trees and shops.

It ain't going to win any beauty contests, but it's good urban form and it still looks better than most of the world's cities, if we're being honest.

https://goo.gl/maps/uvyLTs6anmEe6RPG8

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Athens has are some beautiful coastal suburbs. It's in a great location.

https://goo.gl/maps/3SYFcgWvBQ4qi3mW9
https://goo.gl/maps/BwFSSTA8yx9dpoJq9
https://goo.gl/maps/sag91RnB9ifCLoc78

But the city itself? Yep, it's definitely an ugly city. Atrociously ugly and dilapidated. I'm getting third world vibes. Truly a city of very ugly individual buildings, there's not a looker among them as far as you can see.
Looks pretty similar to the Central-Southern California coast!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:27 PM
你的媽媽

Some of my photos of Athens showcasing the polikatoikia.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:06 PM

I like those aerial pics of Athens. It seems the city is endless.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:10 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Looks pretty similar to the Central-Southern California coast!
Similar Mediterranean climates.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:50 PM

Some of you need to get a grip, the development in Athens is certainly bland and monotonous but it's not some kind of hideous horror. I don't see how it's any worse than say Rio's post-war development.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Athens isn't a pretty, manicured, historic city, but I wouldn't call it ugly.
Agreed. Nothing everything has to be Paris to be visually appealing.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:59 PM

I stayed in one of those as an airbnb in Athens. I found them very comfortable and functional.

The large terraces most units have are amazing. Its like everyone's outdoor living/dining room and adds to alot of street presence.

The other thing is that many have street level businesses. So you dont need to travel far for many daily items.

Athens is not as pretty compared to its peers, but is definitely interesting, vibrant and fun.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:55 PM

Probably works better where there’s no winters unless there’s a cover for the balconies.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:59 PM

I think Athens is pretty. Better than NYC in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Some of you need to get a grip, the development in Athens is certainly bland and monotonous but it's not some kind of hideous horror. I don't see how it's any worse than say Rio's post-war development.
Rio de Janeiro is very similar to Athens in this regard. Extremely walkable, narrow tree-lined streets, high densities:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.985...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.984...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.976...7i16384!8i8192

It's the kind of urban pattern praised by 10 out 10 urbanists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions