HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 7:28 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Apparently Toronto building lots of towers isn't a statement of fact... it's 'faux Canadian exceptionalism'. Greater Canadian interest in urban living? Canada with more equitable wealth distribution (lower GINI coefficient)? Apparently those aren't facts either but 'faux Canadian exceptionalism'. As of today the Toronto tally on the SSP database is as follows:

'Faux Canadian Exceptionalism' Count

150m+ Built: 77
150m+ U/C: 40
150m+ Proposed: 123
The number of tall towers being built isn't in question. You also can't quantify urban living through the number of 150 metre towers. The tallest skylines on earth are usually pretty hostile and the planning direction in Toronto, greater emphasis on heights than densities, is not how you build balanced environments. Our sense of Manhattan is ass backwards.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Well, that's it. Canada's mega metropolis.
Thanks for the toast.

If you add in all the projects not seen in the render, plus the additional 15km (9 miles) of clusters (built, u/c & proposed) that pop up now and then north of this render (left side of the render is north)... might one day be just a "mega metropolis" without the Canada caveat .

eg. Yonge & Eglinton cluster has a bunch of built/u/c/approved/proposed towers.

2221 Yonge, a Pei-designed tower u/c - shot by someMidTowner at UrbanToronto.

90 Eglinton East - render from UrbanToronto

Hopefully, post-pandemic, a healthy chunk of the proposals move forward.

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 27, 2020 at 9:53 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 9:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I like the old(er) 12-13 story building with the peaked roof in the first pic above. Seems more scalable than the new stuff sprouting up around it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 10:02 PM

There goes your skyscraperpage moderator pension... ;-)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 12:46 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

reminds me of panama city or miami, nice, but condo-heavy.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:47 AM

If you were referring to the photo above I would agree it's destined to be a great wall 'o condos.

If you are referring to my render a page ago, I would have to point out there are eight or so built (and two more u/c) bank tower$ on the right.

I personally owe most of them a lot of money. ;-)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:16 AM

Toronto can build all the towers it wants but it will be a very long time before the city gets a skyline like either NY or Chicago. There is way more to a great skyline than just number of buildings.

Canadian cities will always have far more highrises that similar sized US ones and that will continue. Certainly some of it is due to more stringent urban sprawl planning but most of it is cultural. Canadians are simply more accepting of higher density living than Americans which is also reflected in transit usage. Americans are far more individualistic than Canadians and value their freedom and space more and things like high density living and taking public transit are the antithesis of such values.

To many Americans living in a condo/apt except in a few cities and student ghettos means you haven't "made it". This certainly isn't helped by the fact that apt living after 1910 in urban areas began to be the domain of poor urban blacks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:30 AM
The Vomit Bag.

What is the deal with all the Jacksonville skyline shots over the past few days?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:46 AM

Can Toronto STOP building towers with balconies? It looks ugly as hell. Can you guys get city council to ban it?

Like what is that shit in the background?? It looks like giant parking garages, honestly.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

What had happened was that someone on the city council for Toronto is actually an SSP member, and one day, spotted a thread mentioning that Toronto is the Miami of the North, and ... AND... he took it to heart. So balconies aren't going away anytime soon.

On a serious note, folks like balconies. I mean if one is paying $600k+ CAD for a shoe box sized condo with a view, a balcony is a huge plus. Put a nice chair out there, light a cigar, and watch the cranes in the distance.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:53 AM

I agree that most buildings look better without the balconies but first and foremost these are places to live. Living in a condo/apt can be quite confining and isolating and even a small balcony big enough for a little table and a couple chairs can do wonders to make an apartment feel open and less sterile and utilitarian.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:25 AM

If anything, the design of towers is based way too much on looks already. E.g. too much glass, not enough insulation.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Sometimes folks don't care about the building design. Folks look at location, price, and in some cases, views, but mostly location/price and any services offered by "X" condo/rental tower.

Not 100% sure about Toronto, but in some cities, having a laundry room inside of the unit can make all the different when it comes to buyers. Some must have a washer/drier.

Going back to location and price, its the same reason why ugly towers sell out. To us urban and architectural crack heads, its not kosher, but to somebody looking for transit routes, possibly nearby services or better schools... they will go for the unit even if the building has a 300' brown blank wall or the view is a brick wall.

A developer could build a turd tower in Manhattan or a desirable section of Toronto or Chicago or Miami or "X" city, and it will sell out if the demand and desirability is there. Location is paramount.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:45 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Canada/America similarities. The one major thing I immediately think of being not American when I visit Canada would have to be the low crime rate, and lack of areas of destitution and desolation. The ability to travel freely in nearly the entire city, and see thriving life and access to amenities everywhere you go, is something I'm jealous of, whilst the opposite is typical of every single major metropolitan area in the USA. Maybe because I've lived in, worked in, and frequently visit desolate areas with lots of crime, it has become hard-wired into my mind. The ability to drop my guard and relax in the city is something so simple, so yet so valuable.

Aspects of Canadian life, such as recent immigrants living on top of each other in high rises near good transit connections would be more remarkable and noticeable if we didn't have 1 - New York City, 2 - scattered developments of the same type in other major urban centers.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
Canada/America similarities. The one major thing I immediately think of being not American when I visit Canada would have to be the low crime rate, and lack of areas of destitution and desolation. .
Yes very true..And less areas of gated Macmansion communities.Less extremes. Canada has poor, but not "dirt poor"..It also has very wealthy, but not as much "filthy rich"..The middle/working class are basically the same I think. Although I think that American working class may have slightly more disposable income just because goods are cheaper.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I agree that most buildings look better without the balconies but first and foremost these are places to live. Living in a condo/apt can be quite confining and isolating and even a small balcony big enough for a little table and a couple chairs can do wonders to make an apartment feel open and less sterile and utilitarian.
There are plenty of residential towers built without balconies though. And can you even utilize a balcony as well that high up? The winds must be insane.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:32 PM

If the winds are extreme than you can just shut the door...........an option you don't have without a balcony. Those supposed winds also offer something that no balcony apts don't........fresh air. You actually get a breeze with non-sterilized and recirculated air. People don't say "a breath of fresh air" for nothing.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:10 PM

On a side note, the E condo's are two of the nicest towers built recently. definitely the best in mid-town Toronto (Yonge and Eglinton)

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/e-condos

I don't get the hate for balconies some have as I feel they add to a building instead of subtracting.
I feel they work well in Vancouver and Toronto , especially as more builders are using them as design elements

This picture of Vancouver illustrates why i think Balconies can improve a highrise design.

Vancouver

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sworldguy/50135614622/

Last edited by Nite; Jul 28, 2020 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
If the winds are extreme than you can just shut the door...........an option you don't have without a balcony. Those supposed winds also offer something that no balcony apts don't........fresh air. You actually get a breeze with non-sterilized and recirculated air. People don't say "a breath of fresh air" for nothing.
Wait, you need to have a balcony to have fresh air? You have a windowless apartment?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 12:04 AM

Reviving this old thread with updated Toronto counts based on SSP database.

The Chicago SSP under construction data is clearly out of date and incomplete; there are at least half a dozen additional towers over 100m under construction. I'm hoping someone might update it.

Toronto (municipality) 150m+ count:
82 complete (was 67 in chart on post #1, Jan 2020)
38 under construction (was 31 in chart)
---
120, (was 102 in chart)

Vaughan (northern GTA suburb):
3 complete
6 under construction

Mississauga (western GTA suburb):
4 complete
8 to 9 under construction (1 is roughly 150m but listed without a specific height)
---
141 to 142

There are numerous proposals (~200) but it's unlikely more than 15 of these will begin construction within 2 years as new condo sales have dropped by 80%. There are 3 buildings (299m, 290m, and 263m) currently in site-prep/demolition and gearing up for construction though, so that'll be nice to watch during the 2023 slowdown in construction starts.

Last edited by rbt; Dec 14, 2022 at 1:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions