HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainable View Post
A couple of big things should be formally announced soon. Looks like within the next 30 days the new grocery store at Summit and Monroe will be announced. Looks like it will be about 15,000 square feet which would be on the large side of most trader joes, but that certainly seems most likely at this point. Additionally, all indications are that the new convention center hotel will be a four star Marriott. That should be a great brand for downtown. Obviously a Westin would be even better but who are we kidding?
Living in Kendall Yards, we heard a rumor that the grocery store would be run by Rocket Market and that the location is Summit Parkway and Nettleton in the residential area, across the street from a park that is being built

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:11 AM

Here is the aerial looking at the convention center hotel. Definitely think it would be a shame if the whole block on Main is a parking garage. And brick was better:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:35 AM

Trebor, I hadn't heard that about the rocket market by the new park, but that makes sense for the location near the park. They have approval on the master plan for some retail in that section of the plat and the rocket market is local and seems like a good vibe near Olmsted green. I am about 95 percent sure that will be in addition to the grocery store at summit and Monroe, but I could be wrong. Looks like we should find out soon.

Regarding the pfd hotel, I definitely agree that brick was nicer, I am concerned that the white facade will be prestressed concrete. That would be very disappointing.

Regarding main avenue parking garage at the hotel - it will have street level windows that will look into convention space, kitchens, as well as as a major entrance to the hotel. Additionally the convention space on main is supposed to become retail at some point in the future, presumably when they add more convention space on the second floor. That is what I heard a few months ago and so not sure about the current possible conversion, but I know there will be a lot of first floor windows to make main active, really vibrant.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:39 PM

I knew he would screw up his new hotel. I knew it. The brick rendering was too good to be true. He's building another Davenport Tower. Concrete panels here we come! What a fool! I'd rather see a parking lot then another concrete disaster. Oh, did I mention that I love the warm feeling of staying in a Soviet style housing block? At least they have color.

Last edited by FireFighter74; Nov 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Trebor, I hadn't heard that about the rocket market by the new park, but that makes sense for the location near the park. They have approval on the master plan for some retail in that section of the plat and the rocket market is local and seems like a good vibe near Olmsted green. I am about 95 percent sure that will be in addition to the grocery store at summit and Monroe, but I could be wrong. Looks like we should find out soon.

Regarding the pfd hotel, I definitely agree that brick was nicer, I am concerned that the white facade will be prestressed concrete. That would be very disappointing.

Regarding main avenue parking garage at the hotel - it will have street level windows that will look into convention space, kitchens, as well as as a major entrance to the hotel. Additionally the convention space on main is supposed to become retail at some point in the future, presumably when they add more convention space on the second floor. That is what I heard a few months ago and so not sure about the current possible conversion, but I know there will be a lot of first floor windows to make main active, really vibrant.
Sustainable we're you saying the grocery store at Monroe and summit is a Trader Joes or is trader joes size like?

The rumor we heard here in Kendall Yards was that the 15,000 sq ft grocery store was rocket market and was at summit and Nettleton. I can't see 2 15000 sq ft stores in Kendall Yards.

I have also heard that a Northside trader joes was coming but further up north.

All rumors that I have heard from other people though.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:11 PM

I'd like to see a Whole Foods at Monroe and Summit and maybe a Rocket Bakery by the park.

https://www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketSpokane

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:14 AM
Posh

Ugh. This must be the official Spokane highrise color, or something.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor of Spokane View Post
Sustainable we're you saying the grocery store at Monroe and summit is a Trader Joes or is trader joes size like?

The rumor we heard here in Kendall Yards was that the 15,000 sq ft grocery store was rocket market and was at summit and Nettleton. I can't see 2 15000 sq ft stores in Kendall Yards.

I have also heard that a Northside trader joes was coming but further up north.

All rumors that I have heard from other people though.
Trebor, I have not heard that the grocery store was actually a trader joe's, only that the size is 15,000 feet which would be on the large side for tj's but still very likely trader joe's. I doubt the rocket market is going to be the main kendall yardsgrocery store as they a)have no experience at being a full scale grocer and b) the park does not have the traffic counts to work for a grocery store. Additionally there is not enough parking by the park for a true grocery store. The grocery store will be on monroe with some small café by the park is my gjess.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:51 PM

I've been told that NorthPointe Plaza will be the next location for a Trader Joe's followed by CDA.

Last edited by FireFighter74; Nov 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:51 PM

Fire fighter - northpointe and CDA would be two logical next steps for tj's. We will know in about a month. I don't know where te trader Joes up north would go, northpointe is unlikely because the trader Joes business model normally moves to older strip malls that have lower rents. Incidentally, most strip malls would only allow for one grocery store based upon their tenants exclusivity agreements which means Safeway wouldn't want a competitor. A likely alternative would be the Starbucks building at the y.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:

Sustainable, good to hear that the street level view on Main avenue won't be just concrete and headlights and has the potential for retail in the future. Despite the outside of Worthy's other hotel tower, the interior lobby areas are pretty nice. So hopefully it will be a good pedestrian view looking in this new hotel as well. Hopefully the retail pans out in the future.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Ugh. This must be the official Spokane highrise color, or something.

Pure speculation here, but it seems that 90% of all Marriot or Hilton hotels white or gray (I made 90% up but it seems like a high percentage are). I would presume that those chains would be candidates for a 4 star hotel in Spokane. Makes me wonder if the hotel chains are influencing the appearance.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 3:02 AM

Saw a billboard for this today.

http://www.inlandrail.org/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefoo1 View Post
Pure speculation here, but it seems that 90% of all Marriot or Hilton hotels white or gray (I made 90% up but it seems like a high percentage are). I would presume that those chains would be candidates for a 4 star hotel in Spokane. Makes me wonder if the hotel chains are influencing the appearance.
I think that you are right on this SeaFoot - an architect friend of mine that is not from Spokane looked at the brick facade and then the new facade and thought that the new one actually looks much better for what it's worth. Additionally - it wouldn't be surprising to me if it was the hotel chain that helped drive the design. The new facade has a much cleaner looking exterior. Not especially interesting, but cleaner. I think that a lot will be determined by the first two stories of this building and how it relates to the street. My guess will be that the first two stories will be done well.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Trebor, I have not heard that the grocery store was actually a trader joe's, only that the size is 15,000 feet which would be on the large side for tj's but still very likely trader joe's. I doubt the rocket market is going to be the main kendall yardsgrocery store as they a)have no experience at being a full scale grocer and b) the park does not have the traffic counts to work for a grocery store. Additionally there is not enough parking by the park for a true grocery store. The grocery store will be on monroe with some small café by the park is my gjess.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/102122644@N05/11055533933/

Picture off of Nystrom + Olson website. Wondering if the building on right side at Bridge and Oak might be the grocery store in Kendall Yards? Not sure if that building looks 15,000 sq ft.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor of Spokane View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/102122644@N05/11055533933/

Picture off of Nystrom + Olson website. Wondering if the building on right side at Bridge and Oak might be the grocery store in Kendall Yards? Not sure if that building looks 15,000 sq ft.
Good question Trebor, I wonder the same thing. The more interesting question has to do with the Bennett Block that nystrom Olson is showing on their site. They show rocky rococcos replaced with a coffee shop. I wonder if that is actually going to happen...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 6:23 PM
Hub for an Empire

Nice to hear about a possible North Trader's Joe outlet. I would like to see at least one Whole Food Store in or near downtown. From a CNBC interview with the CEO, he would like to expand the store throughout the United States (He mentioned even having an outlet in South Dakota).

It is disappointing about the new hotel. The Brick façade of the first announcement looked liked Spokane and was very appealing. I hope he doesn't do pre-cast concrete panels again! If it has to be a lighter color, due to the hotel chain, I hope it's a high grade material to provide long range appeal to this massive project! The photo of downtown, shows what a major project this is going to be! It would be nice to see Condo and apartments buildings on the south side of Spokane Falls Blvd. just like the planners wanted before Expo.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:21 AM
Cascadia Rising

Anyone know if conversion of the Ridpath to apartment units is still in the works?? I think that's such a great idea. Having 300 or so more residents downtown is definitely a positive.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 5:03 AM

District Bridge Project

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
Anyone know if conversion of the Ridpath to apartment units is still in the works?? I think that's such a great idea. Having 300 or so more residents downtown is definitely a positive.
Last I heard...this is happening and they will start remodel in couple months with first tenets moving in by mid summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West