HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
What is a championship rally? Is it a substitute for a parade and party? If that's the case, wow, MLSE is cheapening out.
It's still a party, just no parade. I went to the last two. One was just at Nathan Philips Square and the other was a parade up Bay that ended at NPS if I remember correctly.

The Argos aren't as big as the other teams in TO and they win frequently enough for it to not be that special so I can why they wouldn't want to shut down parts of the city for a parade.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
A good write up of the relative success the CFL has in 2022.

CFL proving naysayers wrong with attendance uptick in 2022

https://dailyhive.com/edmonton/cfl-p...ce-uptick-2022
I've got no dog in this fight, but are we really talking attendance or "tickets distributed"? Because I see Edmonton's listed as averaging 23k+ for their home games, and there's no way that's butts in the seats. I highly doubt they even have 15K in the seats.

Many leagues are starting to use tickets distributed to mask attendance woes.

Just realized this is a stadium thread. Might be better to move the conversation over to the attendance/ratings thread for cleanliness.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:52 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
It's still a party, just no parade. I went to the last two. One was just at Nathan Philips Square and the other was a parade up Bay that ended at NPS if I remember correctly.

The Argos aren't as big as the other teams in TO and they win frequently enough for it to not be that special so I can why they wouldn't want to shut down parts of the city for a parade.
I can't remember the year. I bunch of us went on break to watch the parade down Bay Street. It was freezing cold. There couldn't have been more than a couple hundred people. Yeah, a parade may be overkill. Maple Leaf Square is a small narrow area between towers. It's probably enough space but, not hosting it in Nathan Phillips Square ... even a half empty NPS ... is accepting the irrelevancy of the team.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
What is a championship rally? Is it a substitute for a parade and party? If that's the case, wow, MLSE is cheapening out.
IIRC the Argos held a rally at City Hall for their last championship, too. I suppose it makes sense, can't shut down downtown for a parade if there's going to be relatively few people there.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

A shot from our 'seats' aka Pil Zone from the other day (pre-game). What an awesome stadium!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:04 PM

Rumors floating Macbeth might retire as Argos QB as he really misses his family in us half the year he might go to xfl. Good opportunity for Kelly to become Argos starter.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I've got no dog in this fight, but are we really talking attendance or "tickets distributed"? Because I see Edmonton's listed as averaging 23k+ for their home games, and there's no way that's butts in the seats. I highly doubt they even have 15K in the seats.

Just realized this is a stadium thread. Might be better to move the conversation over to the attendance/ratings thread for cleanliness.
In Edmontons case their in game attendance is directly correlated to their piss poor performance not just as a team, but more so their lack of ability to even get a win at home for over 3 years. When they put good teams on the field they get some of the best support in the league. Same can almost be said about the Riders, but at least they can get some wins on their home field… this is something that exists in all leagues.

Likewise, BC’s uptick in attendance is directly correlated to their performance on the field, the star quarterback they have, and new ownership who cares.

Stamps decline in attendance is in my opinion that CSEC is taking on the MLSE playbook, where they really just don’t care. Also McMahon is way long past overdue.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 8:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Bingo, shiny objects attract small minds.

No one has ever objected to the CFL game play or majority of the rules. Even the players from the US coming into it enjoy the free flow of the game. I can quote tons and tons of examples on that. As Doug Flutie said, the NFL is a copycat league, they are overly cautious to do anything new until it is tested elsewhere (and that was usually the CFL)
Both codes have dumb rules if people want to focus on that.

CFL haters dump on the single point ("rewarding failure") on a missed field goal but the fair catch rule in American football is one of the dumbest rules in sports IMO, and provides the ridiculous spectacle of guys from the kicking team standing around, waiting for the ball to stop rolling.

The NFL should most definitely adopt some type of "no yards" rule.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Both codes have dumb rules if people want to focus on that.
One rule change I like is the change in the convert rule. No longer is the PAT "automatic" as it once was.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 9:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
One rule change I like is the change in the convert rule. No longer is the PAT "automatic" as it once was.
EDIT: I mean, it's been changed to what?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
EDIT: I mean, it's been changed to what?
Kicking the ball from the 25 instead of the 10, not a recent rule change.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 11:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Kicking the ball from the 25 instead of the 10, not a recent rule change.
Thanks. I never noticed.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 11:35 PM

Here's some pics I took from 2012 and 2017. Only 2012 had the parade. Judging by the size of the crowd at NPS, then having this at Maple Leaf Square is fine.

Since I've gone to two in the last 10 years, I wouldn't go out of my way to attend this year. If I happened to be going to the office Thursday then I would. I'd probably even have my youngest come with me rocking the gear because why not. And I've have another reason to throw on my jersey. Would just have to decide what hat to wear.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post

"official attendance" has been "tickets distributed" whether people show up or not for awhile now in most, if not all leagues now, for at least a decade and probably longer. Yeah, it's no secret in Edmonton many of those crowds of 20,000 or so thousand people are more like 10-12,000 during the 2022-23 season. I read this from some folks who attend the games in Edmonton on the Hfboards. Same thing is happening in Calgary for many games - they will announce crowds of 22,000 or so but according to pics (during the middle of the game) and accounts from some Stamps fans there is usually only around 10-15,000 in attendance for most games.

But in fairness, this kind of thing (announced attendance vs. actual butts in seats attendance) gets fudged quite a bit with teams in the other big-4 leagues as well.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
In Edmontons case their in game attendance is directly correlated to their piss poor performance not just as a team, but more so their lack of ability to even get a win at home for over 3 years. When they put good teams on the field they get some of the best support in the league. Same can almost be said about the Riders, but at least they can get some wins on their home field… this is something that exists in all leagues.

Likewise, BC’s uptick in attendance is directly correlated to their performance on the field, the star quarterback they have, and new ownership who cares.

Stamps decline in attendance is in my opinion that CSEC is taking on the MLSE playbook, where they really just don’t care. Also McMahon is way long past overdue.
CSEC definitely went through the motions with the Stamps with regards to any stadium renos and marketing. They were just hoping for massive taxpayer subsidies for their ill-fated CalgaryNext project. Once that proposal was kiboshed, they stopped caring.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:42 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 11:06 PM

Argos grey cup party at maple leaf square today and the raptors game with drake last night celebrating the Argos grey cup victory was nice. Mlse really should make Pinball the Argos president he attracts people like no other Bill Manning should just stick with tfc as obviously he has Argos as an afterthought.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada