HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 11:38 PM

4555 N Sheridan

May 3

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:58 PM

Old Town Park

May 7

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 6:13 PM

The 808 - 808 N Wells

May 7

[/url]

[/url]

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 1:32 AM

Parkline - 50 E Randolph

May 7

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 1:58 AM

The Grand - 360 W Grand

May 7

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 8:21 PM

Construction cranking along in the River North. 5/12/20.

808 N Wells https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/9/24...808-wells-amli
308 W Erie https://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/2036928026
Atrium Village Phase III https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/8/27...rk-phase-three

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 8:32 PM

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
They need to land a major tenant before anything moves forward.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:23 PM
BANNED

2050 N Dominick

^I really like that proposal. Great structural aesthetics at the base. It also goes very well with the Weed Street area residential bldgs nearby.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
May 7

The street already has more depth with this new addition. Look forward to this kind of action spreading along the loop tracks.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:28 PM

Ok so I did some digging on the 2050 N Dominick site at Lincoln Yards.

So they are currently still working on remediation on-site and it's supposed to be completed by late this summer they also mentioned that they still need to remove old foundations from the old buildings which also to be completed late this summer.

In terms of actual construction, the first phase will comprise of two buildings directly next to the C.H Robinson building along with new roads and infrastructure improvements. They said one of the buildings will be built with or without a tenant I assume 2050 is the one, they seem confident that I´ll be completed in 2022, they have a brochure, floor plan, specs, etc. Couldn't find anything on the other building but the design is apparently being used in another site at 1325 W Fulton (https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...on-development).

I would guess maybe an early Fall - Mid Fall 2020 start on phase 1 along with 2050 North Dominick, this just an educated guess so take it with a grain of salt.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:03 PM

1125 W VanBuren

May 13

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:03 AM

Imprint - 717 S Clark

May 13

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Nice photos Harry, but good Lord, Imprint is awful. Developers who are super cheap and don't want to pay a little more for an improved exterior glazing system, and hire architects who seemingly don't give a shit, or who can't design a unique exterior skin (that doesn't need to be expensive) to save their lives are the devil. The end product is a cold, apathetic box with an equally apathetic base. Garbage.
Miesian international style architecture has been milked so much in this City that it's just dust now. It's a product of a different era, but is so overused because so many architects can't take their design blinders off to realize what they're creating is visually putrid.

I've been doing this for 20 years now, and firmly believe that architecture should be responsive to it's environment; but when that environment is flat, lacking texture, industrial, bitterly cold for half the year, the last thing you want to do is mimic that same apathetic environment in the buildings that surround it. The obsession with Mies that Chicago architecture schools push out is obscene (I'm looking in your specific direction, IIT). His designs are specific to a point in history which rejected ornament because it was seen as something unnecessary and ostentatious. But nothing lasts forever, and it saddens me that this type of overly simplistic design is still revered as sacrosanct in Chicago design circles. It has no merit anymore because it's so watered-down to the point of being a visibly cheap copy. I love the Farnsworth House, I love Crown Hall, and I love the Federal Center, but those are from a past era, and should be left there - economies of scale in terms of building design and construction are not the issue, but a lack of creativity due to being conditioned to see things one way only. I truly wish that home-grown architects in Chicago would grow out of their Mies masturbation fantasies and make unique looking buildings again.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I've been doing this for 20 years now, and firmly believe that architecture should be responsive to it's environment; but when that environment is flat, lacking texture, industrial, bitterly cold for half the year, the last thing you want to do is mimic that same apathetic environment in the buildings that surround it. The obsession with Mies that Chicago architecture schools push out is obscene (I'm looking in your specific direction, IIT). His designs are specific to a point in history which rejected ornament because it was seen as something unnecessary and ostentatious. But nothing lasts forever, and it saddens me that this type of overly simplistic design is still revered as sacrosanct in Chicago design circles. It has no merit anymore because it's so watered-down to the point of being a visibly cheap copy. I love the Farnsworth House, I love Crown Hall, and I love the Federal Center, but those are from a past era, and should be left there - economies of scale in terms of building design and construction are not the issue, but a lack of creativity due to being conditioned to see things one way only. I truly wish that home-grown architects in Chicago would grow out of their Mies masturbation fantasies and make unique looking buildings again.
wow I loved reading this. 1000% agree with all points!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:57 PM

^^ That was so well said/written. And I would agree...to a point. I think some of the putrid-ness out there in this all blue-glass era (and this building is putrid and beyond) can also be looked at as a function of expense, or should I say in-expense. A four cornered building covered in glass can be a big payout for the Acme Development company who just wants rentable floor space on the cheap. And any architect needing the work will happily oblige. I'm not sure the architect or developer knows who Mies is. I other words, it wasn't even a point of consideration but more an ugly half coincidence.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:53 PM

The Grand - 369 W Grand

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
^^Nice photos Harry, but good Lord, Imprint is awful. Developers who are super cheap and don't want to pay a little more for an improved exterior glazing system, and hire architects who seemingly don't give a shit, or who can't design a unique exterior skin (that doesn't need to be expensive) to save their lives are the devil. The end product is a cold, apathetic box with an equally apathetic base. Garbage.
Miesian international style architecture has been milked so much in this City that it's just dust now. It's a product of a different era, but is so overused because so many architects can't take their design blinders off to realize what they're creating is visually putrid.

I agree with everything you said as well.

It's sad the exterior doesn't do any justice to the interior spaces. Yo Chicago toured several of the units a few weeks ago and I was blown away by the finished product on the inside. The views, layouts & finishes are all surprisingly stunning.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:15 AM

Quote:

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:30 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
The obsession with Mies that Chicago architecture schools push out is obscene
I'm disappointed with Imprint, too—but I'm utterly baffled by how you can bring Mies's name into this. He didn't invent stingy clients or uncaring architects. And he damn sure never designed anything with a smooth, unrelieved façade.

To lay this at the feet of Mies is the same sort of ignorance that calls anything with a brick panel Post-Modernism.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations