Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
What’s the giant skeleton?
it was added by the photographer, not a real structure

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:03 AM

Well, that’s not what i wanted to hear.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:13 AM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:12 PM

You can see the problem with these suburban skylines: lack of office towers. Building tall office buildings close together just not economical due to the high demand for parking. Like how a lot of historic city centres in the US have been ravaged by surface parking lots, there's just not enough people using alternative modes of transport, especially public transit. If we can't even stop the suburbanization of our existing downtowns, of course building new downtowns is going to be even more difficult. A commitment to transit is the key.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:47 PM
Never Dell

Sure office towers work. But as you say transit is important, as is walkability. The result can be parking ratios similar to traditional urban cores, omitting NYC and a few others.

Bellevue's first 600'-tall office tower started during Covid, leased to Amazon. It's 980,000 sf of offices for probably 6,000 workers, and will have 1,016 parking spaces. Amazon also plans 1,600,000 sf in two towers across the street, with a little over 1,600 parking spaces. Skanska plans a tower of 540,000 sf and 878 stalls nearby, which might be more typical for Bellevue, but is still a fraction of what you'd see in a suburban-type city. All of these are below-grade, which has been standard in Bellevue since the mid-80s.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:51 PM

more a secondary skyline than suburban but here is Yonge and Eglinton in Toronto

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...anada.2287886/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
You can see the problem with these suburban skylines: lack of office towers. Building tall office buildings close together just not economical due to the high demand for parking. Like how a lot of historic city centres in the US have been ravaged by surface parking lots, there's just not enough people using alternative modes of transport, especially public transit. If we can't even stop the suburbanization of our existing downtowns, of course building new downtowns is going to be even more difficult. A commitment to transit is the key.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Suburban centres in Vancouver have managed to build quite a bit of office space near skytrain stations in recent years. Usually it comes in the form of building podiums or stubby towers though but there are some exceptions.

Metrotowers Burnaby

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4720...by-BC/4377004/

Solo District Burnaby

https://realestatecoalharbour.com/solo-district/

Anvil Centre New West

Central City Surrey
Balcony view, Surrey Central station, Whalley/Surrey, BC by Gail Stephan, on Flickr

Aberdeen Square Richmond

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:17 PM

Vancouver's Brentwood and Metrotown in the distance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
My photos from Feb 13:[/url]
IMG_4539 by 604 City, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 8:20 PM

Does Canada have the ability to build anything other than generic condos with balconies?

It looks extremely ugly and is exactly the same as the stuff built in the 90's and 2000's. Move on already.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Does Canada have the ability to build anything other than generic condos with balconies?

It looks extremely ugly and is exactly the same as the stuff built in the 90's and 2000's. Move on already.
Canada is multi cultural and has to appeal to everyone. Their solution is to build generic buildings that they know will sell to be safe.

That's Canada for you. Safety is always the number one priority.

At least they distract from the hideous SF stock we have.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
Canada is multi cultural and has to appeal to everyone. Their solution is to build generic buildings that they know will sell to be safe.

That's Canada for you. Safety is always the number one priority.

At least they distract from the hideous SF stock we have.
It's just disappointing that this is Canada's era of growth and this has become such a prominent development form in the country for decades now, they're essentially suburbs in the sky, how is all this gonna age? They had a chance to develop more like say, Japan, but didn't.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
It's just disappointing that this is Canada's era of growth and this has become such a prominent development form in the country for decades now, they're essentially suburbs in the sky, how is all this gonna age? They had a chance to develop more like say, Japan, but didn't.
Well Canada is very comfortable being in between the States and Europe on every issue, including architecture. Although we are much more like the States in that regard. Excluding NY of course.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:

to each their own, but i think calling it ugly is pretty insulting... not all towers can be trophies and these are both inoffensive and varied enough for urban infill. even if they fit the same mold of glass + balconies they have different shapes and sizes and colors.

Quote:

interesting. if anything i'd say these are better than many of the background highrises in (for instance) tokyo, where a lot of housing is in older modernist concrete blocks.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 12:43 AM

I'm not saying towers have to be trophies, every city needs filler. In my opinion condo high-rises on large block podiums are the worst way to build density. Especially if it's on the side of a major road and still hostile to pedestrians like a Mississauga. They're Cul-de-sacs in the form of towers.

Canada went wild with this and you'd think they'd do better after witnessing all the mistakes in the US. The style isn't as important as the built form. There was an opportunity to do better here and Canada mostly failed, it also doesn't help that it looks aesthetically awful.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying towers have to be trophies, every city needs filler. In my opinion condo high-rises on large block podiums are the worst way to build density. Especially if it's on the side of a major road and still hostile to pedestrians like a Mississauga. They're Cul-de-sacs in the form of towers.

Canada went wild with this and you'd think they'd do better after witnessing all the mistakes in the US. The style isn't as important as the built form. There was an opportunity to do better here and Canada mostly failed, it also doesn't help that it looks aesthetically awful.
Witnessing the mistakes made in the U.S.? Canadians don't view them as mistakes in general. That's the problem.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:42 AM
Never Dell

I love the Canadian condo aesthetic. As a resident I'd cut the window square footage, and they're often too skinny to be economical, but I like how they look from the outside.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:21 AM

Quote:
I feel it odd you complain about modern Canadian architecture and yet compliment Japan, which just build square concrete block after square concrete block.
Japan is the last country I want architectural inspiration from.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:30 AM

Quote:

What exactly is the US doing to stop urban sprawl and how is Canada copying them because i am not aware of any US region which has policies to stop sprawl?
stopping sprawl is the goal ie land use policy for both Toronto and Vancouver, two of the fastest growing cities in North America.

You shit on Mississauga but most of it's new highrises have retail at grade and its building an LRT to service its high transit usage.
What US suburb is Mississauga copying?

https://goo.gl/maps/fU2Eeonw69JLHvqv9

Last edited by Nite; Feb 17, 2021 at 9:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I love the Canadian condo aesthetic. As a resident I'd cut the window square footage, and they're often too skinny to be economical, but I like how they look from the outside.
The Canadian condo aesthetic triggers my trypophobia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions