HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 8:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

AFAIK, they intend to divide Highway 11 to a point just south of the Cocagne River. The rest of the project (to the Little Bouctouche River) has been canned.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
AFAIK, they intend to divide Highway 11 to a point just south of the Cocagne River. The rest of the project (to the Little Bouctouche River) has been canned.
I was under the impression that the Cocagne River bride twinning was cancelled but that twinning of the highway north of the river up to Little Bouctouche, which was already underway, was going to proceed.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I was under the impression that the Cocagne River bride twinning was cancelled but that twinning of the highway north of the river up to Little Bouctouche, which was already underway, was going to proceed.
The twinning of the two sections will go ahead the section from Right after the cocagne exit to the ward road and from cocagne to Grande Digue. 8 have a feeling once the bridge is completed in grande digue they will focus in cocagne.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 2:02 AM

I've made a fantasy ring road around HRM that runs from Herring Cove to Porters lake, I'm still working on it but feel free to check it out! This is complete fantasy and I can never see this happening, but I think the most likely section to actually be built is Middle Sackville to Aerotech, considering the Wellington connector is nearing completion. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...m7&usp=sharing

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 2:08 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam.Carroll View Post
I've made a fantasy ring road around HRM that runs from Herring Cove to Porters lake, I'm still working on it but feel free to check it out! This is complete fantasy and I can never see this happening, but I think the most likely section to actually be built is Middle Sackville to Aerotech, considering the Wellington connector is nearing completion. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...m7&usp=sharing
It looks pretty ambitious to me. I’ll leave it to people from there to critique it though.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 3:52 AM

Quote:
There was a beaver bank expressway planned back in the 1990’s but they abandoned it. It pretty much follows your route and I believe that HRM still anticipates this road to be built. Having it swing over to Wellington is not completely out of the question in my opinion.

If you’re still working on it, what do you think about it going all the way out to Eastern Passage? Or having the other end not end at Herring Cove but looped back in towards spryfield before crossing the North West Arm.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 9:54 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also Liam do you know how to read the terrain contours if you turn on the terrain mode? On the east side, some parts seem like a steep incline/drop (i.e. > 5%).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 8:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll adjust the route accordingly, this was just a for fun project. I can definitely see Spryfeild being more feasible than Herring Cove. Does anyone have updates about the Burnside expressway?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 8:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Burnside Connector’s still happening. It’s got its own thread under the Halifax subsection. Someone shared photos of “recent” work being done there.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, I'll adjust the route accordingly, this was just a for fun project. I can definitely see Spryfeild being more feasible than Herring Cove. Does anyone have updates about the Burnside expressway?
I love doing projects like this just for fun. I used to do ones in PEI all the time cause their roads suck!! They have 4 overpasses in the whole province.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 10:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I love doing projects like this just for fun. I used to do ones in PEI all the time cause their roads suck!! They have 4 overpasses in the whole province.
And I did one for TCH in Ontario as shown in my signature.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:53 PM

Instead of focusing on new highways, here's an article focusing on the other end of highway life; the decomissioned stage.

The CBC just had an article on the old Jemseg bridge. There are no plans to tear it down any time soon (and with COVID costs, there's likely no money to do it any time soon). There are some great pictures of the bridge's current/recent status in the article too.

I do like the suggestion in the comments to have the engineers in CFB:Gagetown to come in and do training by blowing it up. Remove the falling risk, clear the water routes, and let the rest decay naturally.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I may as well share this here:
https://journallesoir.ca/2020/12/27/...YI1vVpz-A1jTKM
Despite the spring shutdown this year (Quebec suspended all constructions at the height of the first wave), MTQ’s still going to open A85 piece by piece.
Once people flood N.B.-17 to go to places between Matapédia and Gaspé, it may for real be time to turn it into a super-2. It’ll be interesting to see how to tie that in with TCH at St Léonard.
I still dream of a 4-lane divided N.B.-17, N.B.-11, N.B.-8 then N.B.-11 again so as to have an alternative freeway route through N.B. and to see other parts of the province too.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 10:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Once people flood N.B.-17 to go to places between Matapédia and Gaspé, it may for real be time to turn it into a super-2. It’ll be interesting to see how )
Not sure about the need for NB-17 as a super-2.

Probably 80% of it is already as good as a super-2 due to low traffic, few road crossings and no towns.

Ideally you'd construct bypasses around the St-Léonard end and the northern part as you approach Campbellton. And also around St-Quentin right in the middle.

Though in my experience at both ends it's not really traffic that slows you down as much as the low speed limits as you go through the edges of the towns.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:38 PM

Nova Scotia TIR released its 2021-22 Five Year Highway Construction Plan today. Most of the major construction projects are widely known and underway. The Aerotech Connector Road (Highway 102 Exit 5A) will start construction this summer. The Bridgewater Interchange (Highway 103 Exit 12A) will start construction this spring. The Port Hastings rotary will be upgraded to a modern roundabout (Highways 104 & 105). New passing lanes will be installed on Highway 103 between Exit 9 (Trunk 12 Chester Basin) and Exit 10 (Mahone Bay). On Highway 107 a new wildlife underpass and fencing will be installed between Exit 17 (East Preston) and Exit 18 (Mineville). IIRC this will be Nova Scotia's third wildlife underpass.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Aerotech Connector Road (Highway 102 Exit 5A) will start construction this summer.
It's a shame this looks like it terminates in Wellington. It looks like there's enough land to continue the extension to connect to HWY 101 near Lewis Lake, and then further onwards to 103. Create a big ring around Lower Sackville and Hammonds Plains.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:43 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Curious: Why does N.L.-1 seem to have so many undivided 4-lane sections, particularly in the western part of the island?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

What is the purpose of the Aerotech Connector Road? Looking at the map, it seems to me to be only an arterial to allow exurban commuters from the Wellington area another point of access to the 102.

There is nothing wrong with this of course, but it is not as if this is designed to provide improved airport access, or to create a new exurban ring road in the HRM. In essence, this is a modest proposal with modest goals...........

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Curious: Why does N.L.-1 seem to have so many undivided 4-lane sections, particularly in the western part of the island?
I always assumed it was because of the long distances between population centres. That being said, it would totally be doable to twin the highway between Grand Falls-Windsor and Gander or finish twinning it between Corner Brook and Deer Lake. Even if there was more sections, like they twin the highway passing Clarenville, or from Bay Roberts to Carbonear.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Actually, there are some extensive undivided 4 lanes from Deer Lake to the northern end of that divided section. To me, that part makes sense traffic-wise because you have 2 "major" centers.
The other ones are simply (pleasantly) random. IIRC, there's one that lasts for 5 km near Port-aux-Basques. Normally, undivided 4 lanes result from collated passing lanes, but in those cases the 4-lane sections don't last long (i.e. at most 1 km). When you have an undivided 4-lane section that lasts for 5 km, that must have been done on purpose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces