HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post

The firehouse is on the Philadelphia list of historic properties, and thus protected. I helped contribute to some of the research on the building when it was listed.
Very nice! Good to know.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:58 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
After Almost 30 Years the UA Riverview Movie Theater on Delaware Ave. Has Closed For Good!

I really hope the firehouse on the northwest corner is not torn down too.

The proposal rendering from last year showed the firehouse still there, but also the theater so the plans have probably changed pretty significantly since then.
Sad about the theater closing, and it was ready for a large (overdue) renovation. I really hope this isn't replaced with more boring townhouses.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:59 PM
Chris

Thoughts on this? Another political move by Darrell Clarke. (exclusionary zoning).

Click on the text tab to read the details.

https://phila.legistar.com/Legislati...kAR-FmqMpwK1kI

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 8:27 PM

Probably going to be an unpopular opinion, I think it's appropriate for the area and would guide development away from a homogenous fishtown look, but it will probably make the neighborhood more expensive in the end. Porches are a really great part of North Philly urban living for people who are unfamiliar. Lots of socializing, partying, barbecuing etc takes place on porches and I'd like to see a modern take if they're required. It would also encourage historic preservation since they'd have to follow this set of rules. It's kind of a historic district lite, and I'm not sure it could support high density anyway.

Generally I'm more okay with an overlay like this when it's this far from Center City. It's not as bad as when they made moves in Francisville which is right by the subway and CC.

Edit: nothing is downzoned in the bill either, just height limited, which could reduce the number of units possible but isnt eliminating multifamily zoning. It also only applies to exclusively residential development so mixed use lots don't apply.

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Nov 14, 2020 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 9:02 PM

It appears to me that some of the proposed Strawberry Mansion guidelines, regarding fencing, landscaping, surface materials, etc. are fine. But the height limitations are too strict. They specify, for example, 35-feet limitations on streets that are more than 50 feet in width. However, in Queen Village, for example, the maximum height is 38 feet (and even that is tight, in my opinion). And I can see on Google Street View that some Victorian buildings in Strawberry Mansion appear to exceed 35 feet. That would mean that any new buildings constructed to fill in those blocks would need to be lower than what is already there.

Also, the proposed regulations call for porches on all new construction. But what about on the many blocks where now there are no porches? Constructing a new porch would then intrude into the sidewalk. And why proscribe roof decks and pilot houses entirely instead of merely asking for setbacks?

I think that a real Historic District designation should be considered for Strawberry Mansion. In that way, what is left of the fine old architecture could be preserved, while new construction would need to make use of materials (i.e., masonry and wood) that are compatible with the old. Such items as continuous cornice lines could also be specified, as well as the construction of porches on blocks that already have them.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 9:54 PM

2100 Hamilton:

2200 block of Spring Garden Street:
-You all might remember news a few years ago about building a small boutique hotel at this spot, well it looks like it happened.

South Broad Street:

-sad news about Boot and Saddle closing, RIP. (Arthaus rising in the background).

Broad and Spring Garden:
-Wasn't able to take a pic, but this project is really moving, it looks like it is already 50 ft below grade, crews were working today (I guess going 6 days a week).

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Nov 14, 2020 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post

Broad and Spring Garden:
-Wasn't able to take a pic, but this project is really moving, it looks like it is already 50 ft below grade, crews were working today (I guess going 6 days a week).
Why can’t this just stall as a hole in the ground while 702 Samson gets built, and not the other way around?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:34 PM

In regards to 2100 Hamilton, what was the consensus on the tunnel being filled in underneath it? Is there still a pathway for a train if that ever comes along? I will never give up on the no brainer idea of light rail running throughout this tunnel with stations at Broad and Callowhill, CCP, Free Library, Art Museum and up Pennsylvania Ave to 30th and Girard. It would be a game changer and is more realistic than all other dream rail ideas.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
In regards to 2100 Hamilton, what was the consensus on the tunnel being filled in underneath it? Is there still a pathway for a train if that ever comes along? I will never give up on the no brainer idea of light rail running throughout this tunnel with stations at Broad and Callowhill, CCP, Free Library, Art Museum and up Pennsylvania Ave to 30th and Girard. It would be a game changer and is more realistic than all other dream rail ideas.
I'm pretty sure they filled it, but I am not 100% on that one.

Light rail could be cool, but I've always thought the way to go would be a subway down the Parkway (you could cut and cover the middle section and keep outer lanes open during construction), and then have it cut north to Pennsylvania at the Art Museum (northwest of this site). It would then use part of the former City Branch to get up to 25th, and then continue on its way up to Northwest.

But I'll be happy as long as the ROW gets used for rail transit, no matter what mode.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:38 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Nice. Always love to see new Penn research buildings. This will be very prominent from 76 and the Schuylkill Banks. Announcement says March 2022 start date so don't be surprised when this doesn't immediately move forward.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:39 PM

PREIT in deal to sell Center City space, possibly for new Giant supermarket

Quote:
A company linked to developer Alterra Property Group is negotiating a deal to buy part of the historic Strawbridge’s department store building, possibly for lease to a grocery store, according to papers filed in bankruptcy court by the Center City property’s current owner, retail landlord PREIT.

Under the deal, Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, as PREIT is formally known, would sell a lower section of the former department store building for $3 million during the first three months of 2021, according to the documents filed last week.

The buyer is identified as 801 Market Partners LLC, a company formed in July by Alterra partner and general counsel Jeffrey J. Pustizzi, state records show. The bankruptcy documents refer to the property as the “Heirloom Unit,” signalling that a grocery store under Giant Co.'s Heirloom brand of smaller-format shops may be lined up as a tenant on some part of the building’s first two floors.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/pr...-20201117.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:04 PM

Penn Trustees approve design for the Vagelos Laboratory for Energy Science and Technology

New design

Old design

Quote:
The Vagelos Laboratory for Energy Science and Technology has received design approval from the University of Pennsylvania Board of Trustees. The new $173 million facility at 3200 Walnut Street will consolidate existing and emerging energy research programs by providing 110,000 square feet of state-of-the-art laboratory space. The building is a key element of the School of Arts & Sciences’ strategic plan and the University’s commitment to advancing research in energy and sustainability.
Read more here:
https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/pen...gwUf7Bu4xJqAHw

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:07 PM

Will Market House Appear Soon on Washington Avenue?

Current site

Renderings

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...hington-avenue

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:11 PM

ANOTHER North Broad development coming

32-Unit Building Coming To 836 North Broad Street In Francisville, North Philadelphia

Current Site

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a new five-story multi-family structure at 836 North Broad Street in Francisville, a neighborhood located in North Philadelphia. Rising from a 10,576-square-foot lot, the building will yield 39,325 square feet and 32 apartments. The cost of construction is estimated at $2 million.
No renderings yet. Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/mult...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

And ANOTHER potential North Broad development coming

Development Opportunity: 67 Units + Retail at Broad and Ridge

Current site for sale:

Location of site:

Quote:
Right across Broad Street from the new Aldi, another development opportunity just became available. The 8,247 square foot, CMX-4 zoned corner parcel at 676-680 N. Broad St. currently holds two low-rise buildings and a surface parking lot and sits within the Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ).

A feasibility study was completed for the property that shows an 11-story, 57,729 square foot building with 67 residential units plus retail and 12 parking spaces being allowed by-right. This plan achieves a 200% FAR bonus.

A second feasibility study shows that a 6-story, 41,235 square foot building with 44 residential units, commercial space and 8 car parking spots would be allowed by-right with no bonus.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/develop...oad-and-ridge/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:26 PM

49-Unit Residential Building Proposed For 909-19 North 26th Street In Brewerytown

Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/49-u...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
49-Unit Residential Building Proposed For 909-19 North 26th Street In Brewerytown

Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/49-u...ladelphia.html
Superb design. Far better than that ugly POS built at the corner of 26th and Powelton.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
32-Unit Building Coming To 836 North Broad Street In Francisville, North Philadelphia

Current Site

No renderings yet. Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/mult...ladelphia.html

I've been watching this one rise since late August/early September. This building is now framed out. I'm excited to see what will eventually happen with 842 N Broad, which constitutes the majority of the lot in the picture!

Quote:
Development Opportunity: 67 Units + Retail at Broad and Ridge

Current site for sale:

Location of site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/develop...oad-and-ridge/
I posted about this one a few weeks back, when I first noticed it for sale. I'm SUPER excited about the possibilities for this lot! An 11 story building would be perfect in that spot.

Though Francisville is entering the final stages of revitalization, there's still sooooo much going on around here! Projects are in various stages of construction along Ridge Avenue, there's a modular building currently rising on N 19th Street, large lots along Broad are seeing interest, and there's a huge project planned at 17th and Girard. Additionally, a few new businesses have began to open shop along Ridge Avenue! The action in adjacent neighborhoods is also great--I'm pumped that I'll be able to take a 10 minute walk to an Aldi larger than the one on 31st and Girard.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Francisville is fully built out, similar to Fairmount. Personally, I think that the portion of Templetown/Cecil B. Moore bounded by Broad, Ridge, Girard, and Master is going to fill up with people who are looking to purchase homes, yet are priced out of the neighborhoods to the south. It could also increase the intensity of development in Brewerytown, as well as the parcels in Sharswood that the PHA didn't take a few years ago.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:24 PM

What's this project at 17th and Girard?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development