HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:31 PM
dream fast

7-27

Apple Store North/ Halsted & Clybourn

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 9:01 PM
Urbane observer

Department of Bizarre Chinatown Hotel Proposals:

Bing Maps

Commission on Chicago Landmarks
Permit Review Committee
Agenda for August 5, 2010

465 W. Cermak (Cermak Road Bridge District)
Applicant: Ray Chin, Coru 465, LLC – owner
Rolando Acosta - attorney
Fujikawa Johnson Gobel Architects, Inc.
Proposal: Proposed adaptive reuse of 5-story, masonry, industrial loft building for ground- and basement-level retail, three floors of hotel with 200 rooms, and a large restaurant including ballroom space on the top (fifth) floor. Exterior work includes a proposed roof-top addition to accommodate an increased ceiling height for the ballroom, masonry repair, window and storefront replacement, removal of fire escapes, a new skylight, and a new curb-cut for hotel drop-off along Grove Street.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 9:41 PM

^Wow, that came out of nowhere.

The building has been for sale for a long time. Props to them for the adaptive reuse proposal, I hope they can make it work. I presume they will carve a light court into the center of the building.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

Im pretty amazed a hotel is going in there, its pretty far away from anything, I guess its sorta close to McCormick Place, but its in a pretty run down area with a ton of vacant lots. I just dont think most people looking for a hotel in Chicago would ever stay there.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 6:31 AM
Urbane observer

^Nothing about it makes any sense. Hotels need a good windowline to floorplate ratio, unless you're building a John Portman Hyatt with a big honking atrium that becomes an attraction in its own right. If you chop a big atrium out of the middle of this building, how do you cost-effectively support the ballroom spanning the top floor? Hotels are usually placed where there are nearby attractions such as retail and restaurants, or at least office parks or convention centers—not stranded in a Protected Manufacturing District between a ready-mix operation and a boatyard.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 7:14 AM

But think of the big honking riverfront restaurant possibilities.

Including the menu item of one delicacy caught right out of the window - Asian carp.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 1:08 PM

I love the idea of stretching Chinatown a little to the left. Actually it is right near Lawrence Fisheries. Perhaps this project has vision for the area. One day 25 years in the future we will look back and call this a defining moment in the creation of the Chinatown riverside entertainment district.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:21 PM

When I worked with Redmoon Theater they briefly rented the top floor of the warehouse you see in the lower right corner.

I thought the area had great potential (for lofts). There are already artist studios here and there in places you never imagined. The warehouse intended for Mr. Chin's hotel seems to be the most architecturally significant (in my opinion).

So I think jpIllInoiI has a point. Perhaps this will be a catalyst for future development (one can only hope).
Or maybe Mr. Chin has some 'connections' and knows something the rest of us don't.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 3:16 PM
Urbane observer

^But remember that the whole area is a PMD: retail and residential uses are forbidden here.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 9:22 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
465 W. Cermak
This is the one with over 100k sf of retail, right? Good luck trying to lease even a fraction of that amount, especially with that huge proposed Eastern Tower mall nearby.

Still, it would be nice to see some development here like the Renaissance Village proposal on 21st.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 9:43 PM
TL;DR

I walked around this area just yesterday. It's fantastic. If they put up something as obnoxiously bland as that Renaissance Village, I'm gonna hurl.

The Mayor is trying to build a "creative arts district" there - if they build ugly brick and glass condos across the street, no artist will go there, since the neighborhood will have lost all of its grunge appeal. Economic forces of increased demand for Chinatown and Pilsen housing may dictate the need for housing there, but the city is shooting itself in the foot... It's trying to bring artists in on one hand, and on the other hand helping to sanitize the neighborhood by eliminating what might attract artists in the first place.

If the vacant land needs to be utilized, then they should bring in people with fresh ideas, instead of Fujikawa Johnson Gobel, who somehow manage to cling to Mies' legacy yet utterly reject his bold ideas of transforming cities. We need to do a poor man's version of the Meatpacking District/Chelsea/High Line area in NY, where gritty older buildings are mixed in with slick creative fresh ones.

The planning of this whole area is idiotic and wasteful (I know, welcome to Chicago, right? we succeed despite our government...)

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 12:44 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This is the one with over 100k sf of retail, right?
No, that's down on Archer, I think.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 3:59 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Greenway Garage 7/31

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 4:29 AM

^ I saw those very recently and they weren't turning at all. Do they require really strong wind - or are they just still incomplete?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I walked around this area just yesterday. It's fantastic. If they put up something as obnoxiously bland as that Renaissance Village, I'm gonna hurl.

The Mayor is trying to build a "creative arts district" there - if they build ugly brick and glass condos across the street, no artist will go there, since the neighborhood will have lost all of its grunge appeal.
I don't understand how one can legislate a creative arts district - it has to take root naturally. The city can nurture it somewhat, but the arts zeitgeist needs to be largely organic. I would think it would take root more easily in colorful places like Pilsen or Chinatown or Boystown (a bit pricey), or places that are affordable with cafes and eateries like Bucktown or Uk Village or their fringes.

What is anticipated for the Cortland Finkl steel mill once they relocate to the South Side? Imagine big-ass sheds with hoists, winches, molten steel, etc., being divided up into sculptor studios? It's at least bicycling distance from Bucktown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
What is anticipated for the Cortland Finkl steel mill once they relocate to the South Side? Imagine big-ass sheds with hoists, winches, molten steel, etc., being divided up into sculptor studios? It's at least bicycling distance from Bucktown.
Wasn't there a rumor circulating that this is where DePaul would build it's basketball stadium?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I don't understand how one can legislate a creative arts district - it has to take root naturally. The city can nurture it somewhat, but the arts zeitgeist needs to be largely organic. I would think it would take root more easily in colorful places like Pilsen or Chinatown or Boystown (a bit pricey), or places that are affordable with cafes and eateries like Bucktown or Uk Village or their fringes.
The next arts district is Bridgeport hands down. All the hipsters are fleeing the inflated cost of living of Wicker Park and moving there. Its just like Wicker Park a few years ago: cheap, gritty, close to downtown, close to transit, and has an irregular street grid...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
The next arts district is Bridgeport hands down. All the hipsters are fleeing the inflated cost of living of Wicker Park and moving there. Its just like Wicker Park a few years ago: cheap, gritty, close to downtown, close to transit, and has an irregular street grid...
I think you're referring to Pilsen. Wicker Park hasn't been an arts district for a decade now.

Bridgeport is too expensive and too residential. There is a well established Irish community that's been there for sometime. Also, Chinatown is bursting at the seams, and many of the residents are choosing to reside in Bridgeport.

If and when Pilsen becomes too expensive, Deering can absorb some of the galleries as they move south along Halsted.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 10:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Mckinley Park? Brighton Park?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 12:35 AM

Here is a rather impressive view of 465 W. Cermak (The Hoyt Building 1909).

Jyoti Srivastava

...and some of the neighboring warehouses on the opposite (west) side of the river.
(The Wendnagal & Co. Warehouse 1901 on the left...the Thomson & Taylor Spice Warehouse 1911 on the right)

Jyoti Srivastava

below:
This building (The Western Shade Cloth Building-1924) is located slightly to the north and between the two buildings in the preceding photo.
(just following the railroad tracks in the above photo)

Jyoti Srivastava

http://chicago-architecture-jyoti.bl...-district.html

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development