HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 9:02 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Thank goodness. I was getting concerned that the Council might embarrass the city and vote it down. For the life in me I just didn't get the concerns over the flea market. It was pretty clear that the new plan increases space for the flea market. I guess some folks just want everything to stay the same. Including the old, outdated and raggedy fairgrounds. C'mon people... elevate from Country Bumpkins to Cosmopolitan Bumpkins... LOL!!!
Yeah, very glad they pulled through and came to their senses, because it definitely was touch and go there for a little while. It may sound overly simplistic, but I think certain people just fear change, full stop. They may have said their concerns were fairground related, and perhaps for some they were. But I think for many the fairgrounds was just a convenient cover for their real reasons, which they invented in their minds as a result of an avalanche of baseless worry and paranoia about what might happen when things change. I mean, honestly, as you alluded to, if it was really all about the well-being of the fairgrounds, then who wouldn't support them essentially getting completely renovated at no cost to them? There was something else going on there.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
First, obviously, they have publicly mentioned a 1Q 2019 start, but other signs include their web page which 'anticipates' a 2021 completion which would indicate an impending start. And an acquaintance mentioned that a mockup of a Four Seasons Hotel room is being prepared and hinted it was indeed intended for the 151 First Avenue development.

Nothing is official until it's official, I know, but I think this one is good to go.
AECOM confirms 151 First Ave as a Four Seasons:

https://www.aecom.com/aecom-capital/...te-residences/

Quote:
The Congress Group and AECOM Capital formed a JV to develop the Four Seasons Nashville, a hotel and residential development with retail and parking in the heart of Downtown Nashville.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:18 AM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I was in Nashville over the Labor Day weekend visiting family and I love all the development that I saw. Some of the vistas of the Nashville skyline from various points are just amazing. And, there is such a buzz and vibrancy in the city.

But if Nashville doesn't do something quick to relieve traffic congestion the city will be at full gridlock in the not too distant future. One thing that I've noticed is that traffic is much heavier on all major thoroughfares throughout Davidson County. ……….
And, I won't begin to discuss all the arteries leading into downtown like Main Street, West End/Broadway, Charlotte Pike. Oh, and Green Hills is a disaster in terms of traffic. ……..
One thing that I wish Nashville would consider doing is adding signage along the interstates on the approach into Nashville that announces the city.
Traffic! Yeah, I know.

The only remedies impending that I know of are plans to add lanes to I-440 in spots to make it a continuous six-lane highway (three in each direction) and a longer term project to widen Charlotte Pike to five lanes with sidewalks etc. from White Bridge Road to Old Hickory Blvd (not sure which OHB though).

Downtown, SoBro and the Gulch will always be a cluster foul up with tourists on bikes, foot, scooters, pedal taverns, tour buses, and the ubiquitous construction trucks and lane closures.

They are working to route Interstate 40 traffic on I-840. I think they should charge tolls to trucks that travel through Nashville when they could use 840 to go across the state. Truck traffic is maybe the worst impact on traffic as I once learned Tennessee had four of the five most heavily truck traveled cities in America.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:02 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Truck traffic is maybe the worst impact on traffic as I once learned Tennessee had four of the five most heavily truck traveled cities in America.
No doubt, traffic is bad and getting worse. But, I'm interested in where you saw that stat. Almost everything I have seen with regard to heaviest trucking corridors does not list a single Tennessee freeway segment in their Top 10-20 lists for the U.S. The most commonly ranked freeway segments are in LA, NYC, Chicago, Austin, Pittsburgh and Baton Rouge.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
No doubt, traffic is bad and getting worse. But, I'm interested in where you saw that stat. Almost everything I have seen with regard to heaviest trucking corridors does not list a single Tennessee freeway segment in their Top 10-20 lists for the U.S. The most commonly ranked freeway segments are in LA, NYC, Chicago, Austin, Pittsburgh and Baton Rouge.
I don't have a link. I worked for TDOT a while back and I remember seeing reports and charts regarding the extraordinary impact of truck traffic in Tennessee and I remember seeing that particular stat at one time. I-40 is a very popular cross country corridor for trucks and travels through Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis.

They may be other measures that involve shorter segments, but I suspect the broader impact of truck traffic across all of Tennessee is at or near the top of the national rankings.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:15 AM

Yet another new tower planned for Midtown, on West End Avenue between 20th Ave N. and 21st Ave N., across from The Cathedral. No name announced for this one which will rise adjacent to the west of the Graduate Hotel, under construction. With Broadwest, Graduate, Vanderbilt's ongoing campus expansion, much infill and now this tower, West End if finally getting the density that major thoroughfare has needed for a long time.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...-25story-tower

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:02 AM

Nashville's Midtown is red hot right now. Here is a mashup of all the 10 story plus high rises built in the last decade, under construction and proposed up to 35 stories. It is loosely to scale, but close enough to have an appreciation for what's going up. Nor is it with this density, although, the area is very urbanized with a great deal of infill.

The area in this picture will be filling up with buildings and there will be several just outside the picture.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
Yet another new tower planned for Midtown, on West End Avenue between 20th Ave N. and 21st Ave N., across from The Cathedral. No name announced for this one which will rise adjacent to the west of the Graduate Hotel, under construction. With Broadwest, Graduate, Vanderbilt's ongoing campus expansion, much infill and now this tower, West End if finally getting the density that major thoroughfare has needed for a long time.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...-25story-tower

Should be a nice addition to West End. I always liked driving from the West End/Broadway split westward to I-440 because of varying size buildings in that area. The drive eastward from I-440 is equally as nice because of downtown in the distance. With the Broad West project and now this project, it'll make the ride even better visually.

Beaman please sell....

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 2:28 PM

It's good to see more height on West End coming. I always thought the one story development next to this new tower was extremely foolish and wasteful even 10 years or so ago. Obviously it didn't work for TGI Fridays. Their parking solution is dreadful. There are other sites nearby which I feel were underutilized like the AT&T center. A single commercial occupancy such as that probably would be as well served in a first floor retail in taller structures. I hope that better usage of West End frontage will be forthcoming. The one story strip at 23rd (with the Pinnacle bank branch) could go away.
One building I would like to see remain is the old stone house that was converted to an engineering office, the one with the great magnolias next to the AT&T. I hope that it will remain as is for a long time. Too many of the fine old residences have been demolished for eech buildings. Years ago a superb ex-governor's mansion in excellent condition was demolished for a crappy Minnie Pearl's chicken outlet. Fortunately this was subsequently torn down for the Caterpiller building. At any rate, I am happy that new development on West End is more of a more sophisticated design and appropriate to the hospital and educational centers in that area.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:10 AM

After some research on the Nashville City Tracker and an on-site visit, it looks like the 12 story Graduate Hotel contractor is staging construction equipment on the residential tower site, thus preventing any start on the 25 story tower until the lot is cleared. Likely late summer of 2019.. The Graduate is scheduled for a Fall of 2019 opening per it's website.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:12 PM

Both buildings will really help transform that portion of West End. Aren't there mid-rise buildings in the works on Hayes Street in that same general area? Looks like the density in the area is about to shift from one story buildings to 5-25 stories.

I wouldn't surprised to see boutique condo buildings pop up in that area as well. I have a close friend here in the DC area that owns a property management company. His client base is primarily boutique and mid-sized condo buildings. He said the boutique condo development is still growing quite a bit in the DC because developers are buying small lots and getting approval to build 5-10 story buildings on them. I've noticed the same thing happening in certain NYC neighborhoods as well.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:19 AM

A Brian Paul Hotel is slated for one of the most unusual developments going up in Nashville. It will be on a hilltop at I-65 and Old Hickory Blvd near Brentwood, but just within the Metro Nashville limits.

It will feature bavarian (?) style of architecture and have a 600 seat, indoor music venue. The hotel will have 171 rooms. There will be bungalows scattered around the property to allow songwriting collaboration if desired.

The left and lower right renderings are video screen caps from a March, 2018 article in the TENNESSEAN and the other is from a recent Nashville Post article.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Sep 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Nashville not Brentwood

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:52 AM

Ring it up.

Yet another resort.

This is only one of the reasons why since the 00's and especially the 10's, the only southeast city people rave about is Nashville.

Nashville

Is box office.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:33 PM

These people didn't waste any time. They revealed renderings a little more than a month ago, said they would begin in September and sure enough, they are core drilling already.

I'm calling it preliminary construction. West End and Midtown are hot, hot, hot!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:56 AM

Tennessee State University is proposing a large development on a large segment of their agricultural campus that would create a mixed use area suitable for hosting and supporting a lot of community outside involvement.

From the TENNESSEAN...

Quote:
Dubbed Cumberland City at TSU, the project is envisioned to include a hotel and conference center, a residential community and business incubation facility, along with innovation and research centers on the northwest side of campus. Plans for the site off Dr. Walter S. Davis Boulevard also call for a library and community resource center, a business partnership complex, restaurants and retail at the state's largest historically black university.

TSU has stated they have some funding, but intend to seek private partners for some of the development.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:09 PM

There were a few workers & survey crew at the W Hotel site yesterday in the Gulch, but no real sign of imminent ground breaking yet. The Union site at the Deja Vu location already has a fair sized hole excavated......about 15-20 feet deep. Probably excavation will be finished by November at this rate. I don't know how deep the parking garage will be though. The rock they have exposed is rather peaky and the clay could go down much deeper than what shows now. I suppose the foundations will go to solid bedrock given the height of the building, so how deep will tell. This kind of rock can often fool the borings unless they are very close together.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
There were a few workers & survey crew at the W Hotel site yesterday in the Gulch, but no real sign of imminent ground breaking yet. The Union site at the Deja Vu location already has a fair sized hole excavated......about 15-20 feet deep. Probably excavation will be finished by November at this rate. I don't know how deep the parking garage will be though. The rock they have exposed is rather peaky and the clay could go down much deeper than what shows now. I suppose the foundations will go to solid bedrock given the height of the building, so how deep will tell. This kind of rock can often fool the borings unless they are very close together.
Great info, Baronakim. I would hope these issues are solvable without additional costs. The Capstar, just across the street at 15 stories, seemed to go up just fine. I didn't hear of any foundation problems there.

The Endeavor Company out of Austin seem to have deep pockets and a lengthy history of development. And the fact they are willing to build a 21 story spec office building with no tenants announced is encouraging.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:43 PM

Looks like I was wrong in estimating completion of excavation at the Gulch Union Deja Vu site. They are blazing through dirt! There was a queue stacked up this morning of 10 huge dump trucks waiting to be filled. The hole has doubled in two days. They should be at grade in a couple of weeks. Likewise, I passed the erstwhile Lake Palmer hole and it is crawling with drills and trucks. I suppose they are going to finish taking down the remainder of the site to the bottom of the Hayes Street hole. 2,500 cars will require a big volume. It's good to see lots of activity there at last!

Last edited by Baronakim; Oct 5, 2018 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 7:57 PM

Yet another building for Nashville's unique district known as the 'Gulch'.

The Nashville Business Journal is reporting that NY based, Flank, Inc. will build a 15 story, 192 room luxury hotel at 1101 Grundy in the 'middle' Gulch.

The recently opened a similar sized, Marriott luxury brand hotel in Savannah, GA called the Perry Lane Hotel. The developers have a contract to buy the site and are seeking exemptions to design requirements. No start date was announced.

A massing diagram was submitted. The shading of the building in the diagram was done by me to enhance the massing.

This will be the 14th building under construction or proposed for the low lying, geographical area known as the Gulch. It lies between I-40 and the railroad yard and is becoming a trendy tourist hot spot with its growing restaurant inventory, fine hotels, office, residential and retail options. It will have a Whole Foods and a Publix store.

If it had a hospital, you could move there and never have to leave.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:23 PM

Smile

Thoughts on all the new hotels, if the economy turns down? Paradigm might be, cheap hotels bring people with a budget...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations