HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
New Yorker for life

From TyParker

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Yankees Rule

______

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:41 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.1010wins.com/pages/413348...ontentId=51971

First Day at Yankee Stadium

New York Yankee players and fans got their first up close-and-personal view of the new Stadium Thursday.

Derek Jeter stepped out of the dugout and gazed up at those massive grandstands, five booming decks of blue-and-white splendor reaching high into a clear Bronx sky.

Welcome home. This is the new Yankee Stadium.

"It's a lot better than I think anyone even expected,'' Jeter said. "You know, I tried to come here, not ask too many questions about it, just wanted to experience it
for the first time. But this is, it's pretty unbelievable.''

Jeter and his teammates moved into their fancy new digs Thursday, working out at the $1.5 billion ballpark before a dazzled crowd of more than 20,000.

The place is a baseball palace, with luxuries everywhere for players and fans alike.

Photos by Juliet Papa

____

_

_

_

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote from a review in the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/ar...a.html?_r=2&hp

Two New Baseball Palaces, One Stoic, One Scrappy

By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
April 2, 2009

Quote:
American stadium design has been stuck in a nostalgic funk, with sports franchises recycling the same old images year after year.

Still, if you have to go with a retro look, New York City could have done worse than the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.

...There’s history here, too, or at least a facsimile of it. The Yankees have brought back the old manually operated scoreboards in left and right field, a feature that was last used in the 1960s. A replica of the old frieze sits along the top of the upper deck.

Best of all, the slot that separated the scoreboard from the right-field stands in the old stadium has been recreated, so you can still catch glimpses of the subway rumbling by — a reminder that the stadium has been carved out of the heart of a living, thriving city.

All in all, the new Yankee Stadium may be an austere, even intimidating place, but there’s nothing tacky about it. It’s straightforward, paint-by-numbers architecture.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:48 PM

Looks like a million dollars...err...make that a Billion dollars.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 4:42 AM

hmmm
i think it would have been really cool to build the station/railway as part of the stadium structure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 3:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
hmmm
i think it would have been really cool to build the station/railway as part of the stadium structure...
They did allow a cut where you can see the trains pass by, like the old stadium.

JeffreyPutman

verndogs

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 3:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 1:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 12:16 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Talk about a great stadium! The Yanks are certainly getting their money's worth on this investment--it almost looks even better than the real thing!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 12:37 PM
BANNED

new stadium looked really great the other night. (yankees still suck though)

how much bigger is this one than the old one? jesus, that place is HUGE. or am just used to the coziness of wrigley? that stadium seems to be the size of a football stadium. yikes. also, that part of the bronx seems some massive and spread out... yet, i've been there before, and it felt just like chicago to me. is it the pictures? i guess everything in nyc is pumped up and huge, huh?
anyway, it is really impressive how well the soul of old yankee stadium was preserved in this. i might have to check this place out one day.

i'm also really digging those sweet concourses...

is it just as hard to get tickets to yankees/sox there as it is in boston?
what is the SRO situation like there?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
new stadium looked really great the other night. (yankees still suck though)

how much bigger is this one than the old one? jesus, that place is HUGE. or am just used to the coziness of wrigley? that stadium seems to be the size of a football stadium. yikes. also, that part of the bronx seems some massive and spread out... yet, i've been there before, and it felt just like chicago to me. is it the pictures? i guess everything in nyc is pumped up and huge, huh?
anyway, it is really impressive how well the soul of old yankee stadium was preserved in this. i might have to check this place out one day.
I haven't been inside the new stadium yet, but from all of the photos, and what I've seen on television, it IS huge. The stadium itself still seats over 50,000 (unlike most new retro ballparks). In fact, one of the distinctions the Mets like to make of their new ballpark is that it is NOT a stadium, and they won't refer to it as such. But the new Yankee Stadium is much more of a destination in its own right than it was before. There is so much to see or do there now. The Yankees playing there is like a bonus.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:08 PM

Sweet - they left up the old El spur (and repainted it too)!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 5:10 PM

Nice stadium - way too expensive to go.

Last edited by Renton; Apr 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 9:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

the bleachers should have been blue like the old stadium .. with the bleacher seats being gray or stainless steel , it looks unfinished, other then that nothing will ever top this but the new yankee stadium in another 80 yrs or so !!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 2:42 AM

yeah i totally agree about the bleachers. that and the sides of the center field restaurant look incomplete.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...1b88176a_b.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive