HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Interestingly, old photos from the NS Archives (I think they've been posted earlier on this thread) showed that this building was once clad in brick. I always assumed that brick was still there underneath the siding.
It may be that it at one time had false-brick shingle, like another nearby building that was discussed in these threads.

In the demo photos, it appeared to have incredibly thin exterior walls overall. Maybe no more so than other old wooden buildings(?) - but seeing it so starkly was sort of fascinating to me.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 4:30 AM

hi all,

i used to live in this building as a student in the early '90s, and found this thread while randomly googling the address. i always remembered this apartment very fondly, and i was kind of gutted to see the picture of the flattened building. what a shame. amazing that it resisted developers all this time. i would have expected a company to renovate the flats into high-priced condo "lofts" as they tend to do here in montreal, which, while it is damaging to the rental market, seems a less tragic fate than flattening a heritage building and putting up a generic, cheaply made box.

my roommates and i lived on the third floor, which was the top -- the landlord at the time told us that at some point the building had a fourth floor which blew off in a storm? there was in fact a stairway leading up to nowhere in the kitchen. there was an antique stove and radiators and beautiful old decorative elements in the apartment and the public spaces. probably one of the nicest apartments i've ever lived in, in many ways.

i have lots of photos, which i'll have to dig up now, and i'll post any that might be of interest to the community here.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinaryhand View Post
hi all,

i used to live in this building as a student in the early '90s, and found this thread while randomly googling the address. i always remembered this apartment very fondly, and i was kind of gutted to see the picture of the flattened building. what a shame. amazing that it resisted developers all this time. i would have expected a company to renovate the flats into high-priced condo "lofts" as they tend to do here in montreal, which, while it is damaging to the rental market, seems a less tragic fate than flattening a heritage building and putting up a generic, cheaply made box.
Restoring old buildings and turning them into upscale condos, complete with heritage cachet, is by far the most common means of developing properties like this across Canada. Except here. Many if not most of the big Halifax developers (Westwood, Dexel, et. al.) are entirely clueless about this kind of re-use. A lot of our developers locally don't know what the hell to do with any site that isn't a total clean late.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Restoring old buildings and turning them into upscale condos, complete with heritage cachet, is by far the most common means of developing properties like this across Canada. Except here. Many if not most of the big Halifax developers (Westwood, Dexel, et. al.) are entirely clueless about this kind of re-use. A lot of our developers locally don't know what the hell to do with any site that isn't a total clean late.
Correct, and there's no political will to protect properties like this or to create means by which to make it more attractive to developers to consider this option.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Indeed, I hear yuppies will pay big money for a 3rd-floor walk-up with beige vinyl siding and a stairway to nowhere.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Indeed, I hear yuppies will pay big money for a 3rd-floor walk-up with beige vinyl siding and a stairway to nowhere.
Replace the siding with something more attractive/historically accurate, and they will.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:11 PM

Sign boards have been put up on the fence around the site and it looks like a second entrance to the underground parking has been put in for the building next door.

20170330_125305 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:02 PM

This project gets underway as of August 22nd and will take 16 to 18 months to complete!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
This project gets underway as of August 22nd and will take 16 to 18 months to complete!
Excited for this one! Can only imagine how Bishop St. is going to be while both the Alexander and this one are underway

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:11 PM

Excavation has started.
20170829_170914 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Excited for this one! Can only imagine how Bishop St. is going to be while both the Alexander and this one are underway
Glad to see Lawen is back after a short break from St. Joseph's Sq.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 11:59 PM
we built this city

This and the other one to be built behind the Alexander will really bulk this area out.

That area is certainly improving. Hopefully it can increase density and keep some of the heritage character.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 2:38 AM

There is actually 3 buildings. An 8 storie 3rd phase of the alexander project, the dexel project and the building behind the existing building next to keith house...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
There is actually 3 buildings. An 8 storie 3rd phase of the alexander project, the dexel project and the building behind the existing building next to keith house...
Are you talking about Govenors Plaza?, or the Benjamen Weir Addition? Either way, lots of nice developments going up in this area.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:55 PM

This one is called Flynn Flats now:

Source: Flynn Flats

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:05 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:50 PM

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 4:55 PM

Crane base in.

20171228_125425 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171228_125458 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:06 PM

From the Pier 21 NS Webcams, it looks like this crane might be going up. I think I would have waited until after tomorrow's storm. No mast is visible above the neighboring building yet, so maybe they will just partially assemble it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth