HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 12:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
yeah i totally agree about the bleachers. that and the sides of the center field restaurant look incomplete.
I've been listening to the FAN (wfan) off and on the past few days, and I can tell you that Yankee and Mets fans fall into one of two categories: those that love the new stadiums, and those that complain about everything the new stadiums have to offer. Personally, I'm just enjoying the moment, even though I have yet to step foot in either stadium. It's history that we're witnessing, in living color. Many years from now, they will remember when these two stadiums (oh, excuse me Mets fans, ballparks) opened. And they will love every nook and cranny, every flawed detail they have come to know.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 2:08 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

ny guy i think this stadium is the best ever.. i just thought having the bleachers in blue would match the rest of the ballpark. the stainless steel seats make it look incomplete.. and personally i hate hearing about all these jealous yankee haters..i have to deal with all these angel fans out here. anyway come out here in july and i will take you a yankee/angels game out here.. also even though ihate the mets , there new park is great also...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:07 PM

DEER ISLE, Maine (AP) — Fans streaming through the massive gates of the new $1.5 billion Yankee Stadium walk right by Deer Isle granite, quarried by die-hard Red Sox fans.

The Working Waterfront, a publication of the Island Institute, says New England Stone LLC provided 8 million pounds of Deer Isle granite for the new stadium, which opened on April 16.

The granite came from the Crotch Island quarry, Maine's last major island quarrying operation.

Foreman Danny Hypes says Crotch Island produces between 55,000 and 75,000 cubic feet of granite per year

Hypes and his three-man crew are all Red Sox fans, but they didn't realize the destination of the batch that went to Yankee Stadium.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...04753962_x.htm

thats just funny

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 2:53 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I'm already sick of the Red Sox....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
come out here in july and i will take you a yankee/angels game out here..
I have to get to a Yankees game here first... But looking forward to the Yanks beating the Angels..

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

I have to get to a Yankees game here first... But looking forward to the Yanks beating the Angels..
Why I oughta...
But hey, I don't mind the Yankees too much, and besides, I got to see their first win...

Pictures coming up, just as soon as they download

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:32 AM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I've been listening to the FAN (wfan) off and on the past few days, and I can tell you that Yankee and Mets fans fall into one of two categories: those that love the new stadiums, and those that complain about everything the new stadiums have to offer. Personally, I'm just enjoying the moment, even though I have yet to step foot in either stadium. It's history that we're witnessing, in living color. Many years from now, they will remember when these two stadiums (oh, excuse me Mets fans, ballparks) opened. And they will love every nook and cranny, every flawed detail they have come to know.
Your being too narrow minded on this. Allot of fans feel like I do. We don't hate the new Stadiums, but was it worth it since they basically doubled the price of the tickets. I can't afford to go to these games. Allot of fans can't either. To me the new Yankee stadium is a symbol of the excess greed. I mean, come on. 1.5 billion for this? For you users on here still making good money, I guess your out of touch with the old blue collar fans who used to go like myself. Thats why you see those empty seats. And like Joe Buck said last week, these new (corporate fans) are allot less rowdy. Crowds are quieter than ever. The decline in the old time fans going to the stadium started before this new stadium. Now its really escalated. Sorry, Give me the late 70's when you could shout real loud without people telling you to quiet down. Or paying 11 bucks a beer.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Your being too narrow minded on this. Allot of fans feel like I do.
That's exactly what I said, a lot of people have been complaining. Also, a lot of people are already in love with the new stadiums. As the years go on, and people get used to the idea of the stadiums being as they are, and not as the old stadums were, these will be the stadiums that have a place in people's hearts - flaws and all.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
New Yorker for life

JSsocal, those pics are great.

One thing for certain, they can never take Yankee Stadium from the Bronx...

Gary Dunier

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 2:08 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Your being too narrow minded on this. Allot of fans feel like I do. We don't hate the new Stadiums, but was it worth it since they basically doubled the price of the tickets. I can't afford to go to these games. Allot of fans can't either. To me the new Yankee stadium is a symbol of the excess greed. I mean, come on. 1.5 billion for this? For you users on here still making good money, I guess your out of touch with the old blue collar fans who used to go like myself. Thats why you see those empty seats. And like Joe Buck said last week, these new (corporate fans) are allot less rowdy. Crowds are quieter than ever. The decline in the old time fans going to the stadium started before this new stadium. Now its really escalated. Sorry, Give me the late 70's when you could shout real loud without people telling you to quiet down. Or paying 11 bucks a beer.
the yankees realize this , and are thinking about reducing ticket prices. stubhub has already slash prices 50 percent.. remember this the yankees give you a winning product so tickest will be higher then most teams and they built a state of the art facility , just like you pay so much more too fly first class, you have the elite of baseball parks.. you are not in a rat infested fenway park.. anyway i do agree the prices are high and they could drop them big time because they will make so much profit on the additional places to eat ,not to mention the hard rock and the steakhouse

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Hal Steinbrenner has already said that maybe some ticket prices were a little high, due to the economy being bad. But that's not something you can always predict. Lots of people have already bought tickets, so it's doubtful the Yankees will slash prices, if only because its not fare to the people who have bought them at standing prices (the majority of tickets have sold). The Mets have stated that they aren't slashing anything, after is was suggested somewhat by the commisioner.

One thing about it, if Yankee fans want the team to continue to go out and try to put together the best team it can - which they try to do every year - then you can't complain about ticket prices. Either go to the stadium, or don't go, that's the way it is. Eventually, if the Yankees feel they aren't selling enough tickets, prices may drop.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 4:02 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

they still have 40,000 plus sold for the season not to mention the walkups everyday

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
you are not in a rat infested fenway park.
http://www.saugus.net/Photos/images/Kevin_Youkilis.jpg

Damn your right those rats are huge. youd think they would do something about that problem.......

sorry.....i couldnt help myself

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:29 AM
New Yorker for life

BREAKING NEWS.....Hell freezes over.....

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04282009...ces_166648.htm
YANKEES LOWER TICKET PRICES
OFFER INCENTIVES ON EXPENSIVE SEATS

April 28, 2009

Those seats weren't going to stay empty forever.

The Yankees today announced they are lowering ticket prices for seats located in the Legends Suite and a few other of their more expensive locations in Yankee Stadium.

Those who already have purchased season tickets will have a choice between a refund or a credit to make up the difference.

The struggling economy and an outcry from outraged fans likely led to the decision.

COMPLETE NEW TICKET POLICY

"A few weeks ago I indicated that in light of the economy we would review the pricing of a small number of our premium locations at Yankee Stadium; specifically, our Suite Seats," Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement.

"As a result, and for many of our fans who have already purchased full season suite seats in such premium locations, the Yankees are announcing today a program that adjusts certain prices and benefits."

More than 40 percent of front-row seats were reduced by up to 50 percent and many of those who bought tickets closest to the field for $325-$1,250 will be eligible for additional free seats.

Assemblyman Richard Brodsky of Westchester, a frequent and vocal critic of the Yankees, told The Associated Press the reductions weren't enough.

"It's the public that built Yankee Stadium, and even at these prices, the public has been excluded from the very stadium they built," Brodsky said. "It's a continuing disaster."

Steinbrenner said the Yankees had sold 85 percent of their premium seats and 37,000 full-season equivalents, more than 3.4 million tickets in all. But it was apparent most of the unsold seats were closest to the field, creating an unflattering picture during television broadcasts.

In response, the team cut the price of first-row Legends Suite seats in four sections on the outer half of the dugouts and photo cages from $2,500 to $1,250. According to a count by The Associated Press, 48 seats were affected.

In addition, seats in the first row in the final three sections down each foul line were slashed from $1,000 to $650. That affected 68 seats.

In all, the AP count had the Yankees cutting the price of 116 of 258 front-row seats. The team said the reductions will apply to this season only.

Fans who bought $2,500 first-row season tickets in the 11 sections surrounding the plate that weren't reduced (there are 98 seats in that area) will receive an equal number of free first-row tickets for the rest of the season. Those who bought $1,250 first-row seats in the first two sections past each photo cage (48 seats) will receive free seats for 24 games.

Fans who bought $850 Legends Suite season tickets (843 seats located in that category) will get free seats in the same section for eight games and free seats in the $500 section for four games.

Those who bought $600 Legends Suite season tickets (324 seats) will get free seats in the $500 section for 10 games. Those who bought $500 Legends Suite seats (470 seats) will get free seats in that section for eight games.

Among the $325 non-premium seats between the bases, the Yankees said fans who bought two or three season tickets will receive two free tickets for every other game starting with Thursday or Friday. Those who bought four or five season tickets will get two free seats for every game, those who bought six or seven will get three free seats for every game and those who bought season tickets will get four free seats for every game.

Among the top non-premium seats, the Yankees announced a buy-three-get-one-free program for the $325-a-seat season tickets in the 15 sections between the bases.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 11:57 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04302009...box_166919.htm

JETER'S OWN BOX

April 30, 2009

DEREK Jeter has so many friends and family who want to see him and his teammates play, the Yankee captain leased a luxury suite for the season in the new stadium. A team spokesman said the box was big enough for 12, but wouldn't say how much it cost. But he said that Jeter, one of the highest-paid players in the Major Leagues, paid full price for a suite of its size, which range in cost from $600,000-$850,000 -- and he didn't even get an employee discount.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:03 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

The Illadelph has an interesting feature on ballpark beers.
Quote:
Eric Asimov then proclaimed American craft pilsners as the would-be savior of ballpark beer, and then declared Victory's own Prima Pils the best of the bunch. (Again.)

THE new Yankee Stadium has a problem. No, it's not all those home runs, it's the beer.

The stadium pushes the usual mass-market brews, which is to be expected of any big venue. It also has a beers-of-the-world stand that sells brews like Heineken, from the Netherlands; Beck's, from Germany; and Stella Artois, from Belgium — all from nowheresville, if you ask me.

It has a retro-beer stand that sells — give me strength — Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schaefer. If you look really hard, you can find Guinness, which is an acceptable fallback. But with all the great craft beers available nowadays, why aren’t any of them at Yankee Stadium?
[...]
But if I do go to Yankee Stadium, I want some beers worthy of the team. I offer you now my solution to the big beer wasteland in the South Bronx: American pilsners.

While any number of styles would make an enjoyable companion to a good ballgame, none, I think, could do better than a crisp, zesty, refreshing pilsner. It's a style that has long been associated with American sports, though in its bland mass-market form in which the barley-malt core of a great pilsner is diluted with adjuncts like corn or rice. Budweiser may trace its roots to the Czech birthplace of pilsner, but it is no longer a true representative of the style.
[...]
For great American pilsners, though, you have to go to the major leagues of brewing, which to my mind are the small craft breweries that have so thoroughly revitalized beer drinking in America. To inaugurate the new baseball season, the tasting panel recently sampled 18 pilsners from American craft breweries.

So chalk one up for CBP over the new stadiums in NYC. (They may have Morimoto and Shake Shack, we have excellent local beer.)

Then he gets to Prima Pils.

The Victory Prima Pils, which was our No. 1 pilsner four years ago, again came in on top. It seemed to be alive in the glass, with wonderfully refreshing bitterness to balance the floral and citrus aromas.

Good showing all around.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 11:24 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Just what they need more of...

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

I can only imagine what the fights will look like on that screen...

Gary Dunaier

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 1:22 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

One thing I have never understood is why so many pro-teams these days will spend 100's of millions on a new stadium but then seem not go the distance and cover up the underside of the concrete stands.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 2:15 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

THIS stadium is unbelievable inside i only wish they would have had the bleacher seats in blue, look at the model of the new ballpark there is some shots of the blrachers in blue, also look at the pic of the two stadiums side by side from the air courtesy of NY GUY you will see the bleacher seats in blue at the old park in blue and the new seats in stainless steel.. it just looks unfinished......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive