HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Provincial government is more than happy to earn some extra cash.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 5:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 48’s closed at Lakeridge Road due to a head-on collision. Detour via Highway 12.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Highway 48’s closed at Lakeridge Road due to a head-on collision. Detour via Highway 12.
Time to twin and grade separate Highway 48.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Time to twin and grade separate Highway 48.
I was thinking more towards extending 404 to Lindsay Bypass (replacing Highway 7 between 12 and 35) and twinning 12 between Sunderland (while bypassing the town) and Beaverton with interchanges at 404 and at 48.

Opposition from environmentalists will be strong though due to concern of urban sprawl (though the government can just prohibit all-out development).

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:14 AM

Hwy 23 is closed south of Mitchel. I bet this is a fatality as well. I guess we need to twin and grade separate this highway as well.

https://twitter.com/511ONWest/status...46869176291329

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Wow it took a while to figure out your tone (and point).

In all seriousness though, condolences to all families affected.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Hwy 23 is closed south of Mitchel. I bet this is a fatality as well. I guess we need to twin and grade separate this highway as well.

https://twitter.com/511ONWest/status...46869176291329
Oh boy I just checked out OPPCommunicationWR and already saw at least 4 closures due to collision.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Question for Everyone Who Drives

Suppose that you and your friend are cruising in the HOV lane on the 404, 403 or QEW during rush hour, and that there’s nobody in front of you. Note that traffic in all other lanes are slow if not stopped.

Here’s my question for you all: Would you still go full speed (aka the speed limit), or would you just cap your speed at 20 kph over the traffic flow?

In KW, MTO allows Grand River Transit (GRT) to use the right shoulder of Highway 8 and of Highway 401 during rush hours, with the condition that the speed of the bus not exceed 20 kph + traffic flow. Is there a similar rule/law for vehicles legally using the HOV lane?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:00 PM
User Registered

No. That's one of the reasons why there is a buffer zone between the HOV lane and regular lanes. I'd say you could do normal speed on it.

But use your own judgement. Drive safe, according to the conditions and go with the flow. I'd be extra cautious where the buffer brakes for merging in and out of the HOV lane, for instance.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:27 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Amount of Unpaid Speeding Tickets Back in 2010

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

I use the HOV wherever I can when/if I need to be in the vicinity of the GTA...wish they had more of them in other parts of the province, especially Ottawa...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 1:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I use the HOV wherever I can when/if I need to be in the vicinity of the GTA...wish they had more of them in other parts of the province, especially Ottawa...
Yea Cambridge and Milton are getting them. In Ottawa, I think MTO's adding HOV lanes on 417 through the west side of downtown? But yea it will be nice to have them throughout 417.

On RR 174 though, I think the median's reserved for LRT...?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:17 PM

Up to date video of the 427:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:31 PM
ハルウララ

Took 53 seconds for someone to cross two lanes to get late to an exit. Classic.

Thanks for the video!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:34 PM

^ It definitely captured the authentic driving experience.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:37 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Took 53 seconds for someone to cross two lanes to get late to an exit. Classic.

Thanks for the video!
We all want to be patient and wait it out until trucks start splashing water/dirt/rocks at us.

In some cases, that is.

But yea driving on highways in GTA is a painful task unless you’re in the HOV lane. Even then it can still incur headache.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jul 21, 2018 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 4:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also, is there any plan (or at least call) to fully grade-separate Highway 11 between Gravenhurst and North Bay? Some of those at-grade intersections (especially those in Muskoka) seem to start causing slowdown.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 6:07 PM

I assume Highway 6 has been discussed on the Canada forum but I haven't been a member for very long and I thought I'd bring it up here as I recently drove on it a couple of times to go fishing at Valens.

What a joke this stretch of road is. I've driven on 6 maybe seven times in my life. Mostly from 403 up to Puslinch. A couple times from 401 to Guelph. And last year once from Wiarton to Tobermory.

That stretch between 403 and 401 is a disaster. People treat it as if it's a 400 series highway when the speed limit is 80. I refuse to go past 90 and I still feel like I'm going at a snail's pace. Non stop procession of cars passing me. And it's actually kind of scary because when I'm trying to find my destination as someone who is unfamiliar with the area, whether it's RR97 or a gas station, I want to slow down because I know it's coming up soon, but at the same time I don't want to cause traffic chaos.

And as someone in a large but under-powered car, it sure is an adventure when I'm trying to turn onto Hwy. 6 from a stop sign.

So for people who are familiar with this section, why does it seem nothing is being done about it? Where is the enforcement? Do you know if locals generally agree that it's a problem road?

There are so many idiotic drivers here. These people know there are people who have to turn onto the highway from a standing start. They know there are dozens of houses and businesses lining the road. They know people have to slow down and exit the highway. Yet the drivers there have no regard.

This is the closest thing, along with the 35/115, I can think of when comparing to those terrible roads in the US, particularly US Hwy 1. You know, where cars are doing highway speed, but still have to exit or turn into businesses at 90 degree angles and don't have the benefit of off ramps and in some cases, not even right turn only or merge lanes.

Last edited by megadude; Jul 23, 2018 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 6:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Also, is there any plan (or at least call) to fully grade-separate Highway 11 between Gravenhurst and North Bay? Some of those at-grade intersections (especially those in Muskoka) seem to start causing slowdown.
Some of the more southerly roads could probably use grade separation between Gravenhurst and Bracebridge. Volume drops the further north, so I doubt any major changes will happen, especially north of Huntsville.

I'd say that the MTO's focus should remain on the Barrie - Gravenhurst stretch, especially Orillia and southwards.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 6:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I assume Highway 6 has been discussed on the Canada forum but I haven't been a member for very long and I thought I'd bring it up here as I recently drove on it a couple of times to go fishing at Valens.

What a joke this stretch of road is. I've driven it maybe seven times in my life. Mostly from 403 up to Puslinch. A couple times from 401 to Guelph. And last year once from Wiarton to Tobermory.
The stretch from the 403-401 could definitely become a RIRO-style 'freeway'. Eliminating stop lights and left turns could do a bit for safety on that stretch. It would likely involve some expropriation, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario