Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Could be the general state of things though, it's not a time your average American wants to move into the middle of a crowded city and spend tons of money on a condo. Plus maybe they were asking too much and just settled for what buyers offered. I'm not sure but just trying to make myself feel better. I'm worried about other upcoming projects, as most of Chicago's very tall projects in the pipeline are all condos.
not sure "average american" is the target demographic for a $1,000,000 - 800 square foot apartment

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:33 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
not sure "average american" is the target demographic for a $1,000,000 - 800 square foot apartment
To clarify, I meant even among those people.

Quote:
Not to stray off topic here too much ..... when in Chicago, and around Wanda/Vista/Regis I feel much less exposed since 90% or more people are masked, courteous, and consciences. Out in the burbs less so, the hills of WV, not at all.
Masks aside, a lot of people seem to have it in their head that suburbs and rural areas are safer right now (and to a certain extent are right). Just look at the rents in SF and NYC.

Of course people in crowded cities will be more likely to take precautions though.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Masks aside, a lot of people seem to have it in their head that suburbs and rural areas are safer right now (and to a certain extent are right). Just look at the rents in SF and NYC.
Not if that's a product of them feeling "safer" or simply a desire for getting more living space for the same amount of money.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Not if that's a product of them feeling "safer" or simply a desire for getting more living space for the same amount of money.
There is one and only one reason why the rest of the real estate industry is booming even in Chicago, but not downtown condos...ELEVATOR!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 11:33 PM

^ Well, probably not elevators per se, but the fact that condos on higher floors tend to cost more than lower floor ones, per square foot.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:52 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

From Sunday:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 11:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Joshua Mellin

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 2:22 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=chris08876;9141643]
Glorious pic. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 8:25 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
^ Well, probably not elevators per se, but the fact that condos on higher floors tend to cost more than lower floor ones, per square foot.

My read on the comment was simply the highly um elevated risk of covid transmission in very confined indoor public spaces such as elevators. Pretty rational to want to avoid spaces like that in general right now.

More broadly, I think that we've been overdue in general for lower density areas to gain some relative market share in housing preference. This is not the same as saying I think there is going to be a mass exodus from higher density urban housing. But, a relative shift is overdue. Millennials, for example, had been putting off the traditional shift for longer than most anyone thought likely. It was never going to be forestalled forever, though.
The pandemic may have given the final nudge needed.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 5:16 PM

^ Thanks for this interpretation of that comment, which might indeed be what that person meant. But each elevator ride lasts so short that we shouldn't worry about contracting the coronavirus. I do wash my hands ASAP after pressing elevator buttons, but I am not concerned about inhaling virus-laden droplets in an elevator, especially since I wear a face mask, and the last few people in the elevator probably did, too.

On the other hand I am concerned about central air conditioning spreading the virus from one apartment/condo to everyone else living in the same building. Even if this air might contain just a tiny amount of the virus, inhaling it for many hours a day, seven days a week could still be hazardous. In general people don't wear face masks at home, so when they cough or sneeze or even simply talk, their droplets could be distributed by the central A/C system.

Good thing Vista is still fairly empty right now. People haven't started moving in yet, correct?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Good thing Vista is still fairly empty right now. People haven't started moving in yet, correct?
I beleive people have started moving in already. . . I took a walk over there just a few minutes ago to see the Waterside Drive transition roadway and there were people walking into the residence entrance. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 5:52 PM

^Most high rise residential construction in Chicago does not return air from the units. Especially in newer construction, makeup air is pumped into the residential corridors and reheated in each unit through individual fan coil units or heat pumps. Air is rejected through toilet exhaust tied into the light switches so each time someone turns on the bathroom light a damper opens and air from the unit is exhausted. Air is also dumped from the units through operable vents and terrace doors.

Offices and residential amenities/common areas are set up differently... these typically recirculate air through return air ducts or plenum ceilings. So you can be less concerned about transmission in your home and more concerned in your office or common areas.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
^ Thanks for this interpretation of that comment, which might indeed be what that person meant. But each elevator ride lasts so short that we shouldn't worry about contracting the coronavirus. I do wash my hands ASAP after pressing elevator buttons, but I am not concerned about inhaling virus-laden droplets in an elevator, especially since I wear a face mask, and the last few people in the elevator probably did, too.

On the other hand I am concerned about central air conditioning spreading the virus from one apartment/condo to everyone else living in the same building. Even if this air might contain just a tiny amount of the virus, inhaling it for many hours a day, seven days a week could still be hazardous. In general people don't wear face masks at home, so when they cough or sneeze or even simply talk, their droplets could be distributed by the central A/C system.

Do you understand HVAC system highrise mechanics and principles?

Last edited by kolchak; Dec 26, 2020 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Offices and residential amenities/common areas are set up differently... these typically recirculate air through return air ducts or plenum ceilings. So you can be less concerned about transmission in your home and more concerned in your office or common areas.
That's good to know. Yes, I thought that multi-unit residential buildings use the same air handling systems found in commercial buildings, offices and schools. I work in a hospital with hundreds of patients daily, so some of us have been concerned about our HVAC system distributing the coronavirus throughout the building. Leadership has assured us that our building's air system exceeds the institution's standards in terms of filtering and exchanges of air, but when it comes to a novel virus, no one knows for sure whether established standards are good enough, especially in terms of very prolonged exposure to trace amounts of the virus.

However, Vista is both residential and commercial, so it's unclear whether it recirculates air.

Last edited by pianowizard; Dec 26, 2020 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 11:47 PM

^Mixed use properties use the same principles. Air does not recirculate in the residential and hotel dwelling portions. It does in the common areas and restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:42 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwmyjGB...d=gfr2c0am0bbr

Can someone post this on here with this link because I don't know how but the tower looks awesome now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 1:02 AM

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 3:05 AM

Thanks

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:04 PM

A couple from Saturday...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:12 PM

^ Damn sexy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture