HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:30 PM

Dagwoods is now open in Galway.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 8:37 PM

Any idea what is being built at the beginning of Torbay, just across the road and up a bit from Jack Byrne Arena? There’s a drive thru lane there. My guess would be a Tim’s or a Robin’s.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 5:04 AM

I thought I saw a sign for a Robins there last year. Don’t hold me to that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 View Post
Any idea what is being built at the beginning of Torbay, just across the road and up a bit from Jack Byrne Arena? There’s a drive thru lane there. My guess would be a Tim’s or a Robin’s.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 9:49 PM

Yeah it’s a robins pizza place. There’s also a second building going there eventually as well.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 11:19 PM

Drove by the Duckworth Street Tim Horton's today and noticed it was closed. Not sure if is undergoing a Reno and will reopen, as there was scaffolding in place and the Tim Horton's sign was removed, or if Tim's is gone from that location. There was a sheet of paper posted in the door but I could not read it from the car.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 1:59 PM

I think they are trying to figure out how to put in drive-thru off Prescott St...ha..ha. The Tim's business model doesn't work without a drive-thru!! Not around here anyway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I think they are trying to figure out how to put in drive-thru off Prescott St...ha..ha. The Tim's business model doesn't work without a drive-thru!! Not around here anyway.
Newfoundland has a drive-thru culture. Every chain has downtown locations without drive-thrus in every other major Canadian city. McDonald's wanted to open up in downtown St. John's in the late 90's but wanted a parcel of land that could accommodate 20 idling cars at a time. Many people would rather stay in the drive thru for 20 minutes than park and go inside....even when there's nobody inside.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Newfoundland has a drive-thru culture. Every chain has downtown locations without drive-thrus in every other major Canadian city. McDonald's wanted to open up in downtown St. John's in the late 90's but wanted a parcel of land that could accommodate 20 idling cars at a time. Many people would rather stay in the drive thru for 20 minutes than park and go inside....even when there's nobody inside.
I could never fully understand this concept. At a certain level I can see people with small children in the vehicle would want to order through the drive-thru for convenience sake. However, there's been many times I've parked, taken my kids inside with me and been out all while the drive thru line moved about 4 spaces (In the meantime 6 more cars entered the queue). But hey, that's just me - I'd rather sacrifice convenience for efficiency.

Of course, drive-thrus will take on whole new meaning now during (and post) COVID-19 pandemic. Many businesses are doubling down on them, Tim Hortons being one.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:57 PM

I worked downtown for a few years prior to COVID (now working from home) and would drop into that Tim's almost every day. There was never much seating, only set up for grab and go. The Tim's in Scotia Place seems to be closed as well, at least it looked that way the last time I walked by. With the exodus of office workers from DT perhaps they just aren't viable right now and it is cheaper to shut them down until (IF) things rebound.

As for no McD's (or any other fast food chain) downtown, I would like to see one, if only to provide a lower cost, and speedier) alternative to some of the local offerings.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Its a Robins and 241 Pizza. The building on the other side of the road (corner of Torbay Rd and Pine Line) is Elite Kitchens new building.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I worked downtown for a few years prior to COVID (now working from home) and would drop into that Tim's almost every day. There was never much seating, only set up for grab and go. The Tim's in Scotia Place seems to be closed as well, at least it looked that way the last time I walked by. With the exodus of office workers from DT perhaps they just aren't viable right now and it is cheaper to shut them down until (IF) things rebound.

As for no McD's (or any other fast food chain) downtown, I would like to see one, if only to provide a lower cost, and speedier) alternative to some of the local offerings.
I’ve worked downtown recently and noticed a big difference in the amount of people at the Tim’s on Duckworth. I know in my office, which has probably 30 out of 100 currently working there at the moment, there were many people who went there at least once daily.

The Tim’s in the Scotia building is still open. I was there this past Monday.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:05 PM

Has anyone else heard about the possibility of The Keg and Jack Astor's closing downtown? I've seen it mentioned on Twitter. Really hoping the rumour isn't true.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else heard about the possibility of The Keg and Jack Astor's closing downtown? I've seen it mentioned on Twitter. Really hoping the rumour isn't true.
I haven't heard this until your comment now. I agree with you and hope this is pure rumor and not true. However, there's a part of me that thinks everything's on the table, especially given the tough year hospitality and food services just endured and the majority of this year not likely looking much better. Hopefully they can hold fort for the next 9-12 months and finally catch some wind in their sails.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
The building which houses those restaurants is for sale. It has nothing to do with the tenants (Keg, Jack Astor's). The building has actually changed hands before....in 2019.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
The building which houses those restaurants is for sale. It has nothing to do with the tenants (Keg, Jack Astor's). The building has actually changed hands before....in 2019.
Glad to hear it was just a rumour!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:26 PM

Burger King Expansion Mode

After going from 3 Metro area locations in the 80's, then down to one, Burger King is returning to Kenmount Road with it's 5th Metro area location. They will be in the Avalon Mall parking lot. If your looking for burger options, you'll now have McDonald's, A&W, Wendy's, Five Guys and Burger King within a stones throw of each other. There will also be a Starbucks located next to Burger King in the lot. Interesting enough, Burger King's old Kenmount Road location is currently a Starbucks, along with a Menchie's.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 5:54 PM

Other burger places in the same proximity are Dairy Queen and the Rec Room. So yeah, no shortage of burger choices for sure.

Was kinda hoping the standalone restaurant on the parking lot would be something new that we don’t already have.

Quote:
After going from 3 Metro area locations in the 80's, then down to one, Burger King is returning to Kenmount Road with it's 5th Metro area location. They will be in the Avalon Mall parking lot. If your looking for burger options, you'll now have McDonald's, A&W, Wendy's, Five Guys and Burger King within a stones throw of each other. There will also be a Starbucks located next to Burger King in the lot. Interesting enough, Burger King's old Kenmount Road location is currently a Starbucks, along with a Menchie's.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this was included in the 5 above but Burger King just opened a location in Paradise just before Christmas, I believe. This reminds me of how DQ went from 2 to, like, 8 locations within a two year span. One thing is for sure - fast food establishments really thrive here!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:39 PM

Jack Astor's

Quote:
I got an e-mail from Jack Astor's today confirming they remain open and intend to be in "for the long haul", despite media reports indicating otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:32 PM

New restaurant opening at the Paradise Plaza, Pur & Simple, looks to be a mix of Freshii and Cora.

https://pursimple.com/menus/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's