HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 7:44 AM
Yank in Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I can imagine future window washing for this tower will be a challenge, especially the upper portion.
I mean, I'm personally holding out for a window-washing technology that won't require a lurching, hulking wretch to creep out and perch on top of perfectly nice buildings every few weeks or so. Can we leap ahead to window washing by drone already?!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 7:59 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I mean, I'm personally holding out for a window-washing technology that won't require a lurching, hulking wretch to creep out and perch on top of perfectly nice buildings every few weeks or so. Can we leap ahead to window washing by drone already?!
RIGHT! ive always thought there should just be little inconspicuous tracks on the sides of buildings so that small, maybe even sleek-looking robots can crawl down every once in a while and spray the windows...

Even better would be to have small sprayers permanently hidden above (or beside, or below) every window; it would be a system with no moving parts at all (excluding valves)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 8:13 PM
Leftist Correctist

I'm pro-union as a principle and am strongly left-leaning.

I would bet my leftist legs inventors and architects have explored such a thing but most window washers are unionized and that has a strong influence on preventing such technology from being proposed. Few companies would want the controversy, even if seemingly minor, and the negative press that it would ensue. Also few large tower developers/bankrollers want to be the first to test an unproven technology on such a large scale. If you built a 60 story, half-billion dollar office tower and your new fancy robotic window washing contraption failed spectacularly?... well that would be seriously embarrassing... and likely wildly expensive to rectify... the ultimate worst case scenario being the abandonment of the multi-million dollar automatic system and construction after the fact of a human lift system. I can imagine such a mistake and solution costing upwards od 30..40..50 million. Who wants to take that risk?

Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 13, 2020 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 9:27 PM
Crane Goddess

^Even at the WTC, which used a window washing machine, they still had human window washers do the windows of the observatory and restaurant, because human window washers do a better job than the machine. For office floors, that's not as much of an issue. But in places where people are paying for the view, it might well be.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:50 AM

Until the issue is resolved you won't get private roof decks on top of residential skyscrapers. Nobody wants to pay nine figures to have a bunch of dudes clambering about in your private space.

There's a tower in LA with a private roof pool. I forgot its name. It's quite old. I wonder how they solved the issue there.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 9:05 PM

1451ft observation deck it will be awesome it will be at the same roof height of willis tower .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals