HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
"tAll bUiLDInG bAD!!1!" probably.
When they see the cantilevers, they will explode.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:08 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I wouldn't rule out Macklowe trying something (anything) to top the planned tower at the Grand Hyatt site. But he has his hands full, and will have to undergo his own approval. I can only imagine what people will say.

Fingers crossed. They are already introducing some diagonal elements at the crown so maybe the Citicorp idea isn't so farfetched!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Fingers crossed. They are already introducing some diagonal elements at the crown so maybe the Citicorp idea isn't so farfetched!
I don't know how that would look with everything else going on up there. But the biggest problem this tower has is that it does the opposite of what a skyscraper should do on the skyline, get smaller at the top.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:49 PM
New Yorker for life

The observation deck looks like a deck everyone should be wearing all white on. That would give a "heavenly" feel to being above the clouds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3p2g-xn2tS/

Quote:
The outrigger trusses at 510 Madison not only eliminate almost all interior columns but add an unexpected sculptural element to the sixth floor Garden Terrace. Eliminating interior columns is a design challenge that Harry Macklowe has embraced throughout his 60 year career.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:49 PM

"Events level and Harry's Room". I've only just noticed this space on the top habitable floor. That sounds good. The city needs an exclusive member's only club again, if that's what this is. Mine isn't a popular opinion nor is it intended to be. As the city increasingly becomes a playground for the 1%, it should finally throw off the shackles of political correctness and embrace the glitz of a bygone age.

It's gonna happen anyway, why not make it interesting. Or it might be something else. Maybe old man Macklowe will sleep up there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 10:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
"Events level and Harry's Room". I've only just noticed this space on the top habitable floor. That sounds good. The city needs an exclusive member's only club again, if that's what this is. Mine isn't a popular opinion nor is it intended to be. As the city increasingly becomes a playground for the 1%, it should finally throw off the shackles of political correctness and embrace the glitz of a bygone age.

It's gonna happen anyway, why not make it interesting. Or it might be something else. Maybe old man Macklowe will sleep up there.

I think that it'll probably be just that, events space. The Harry's Room may be a private club. (Or it may just be a room for Harry and his wife, lol). Silverstein was planning events space at the top of 2 WTC. 30 Hudson has events space. Vanderbilt was supposed to have it as well. It looks like access to the slide tubes would be from the level, or the next (which looks like the roof). But the observation deck is generous enough that even if that level were private only, it wouldn't matter. There was a private club also planned for the top of 30 Hudson, but that was scrapped. It was at the time going to be the highest occupied space in the city.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 10:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Comparing that cutout to the old 30 Hudson plan...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:17 AM

All it's missing is a rooftop helipad. Shame the rules are set in stone. Sao Paulo has choppers flitting to & fro 24/7 ferrying the elite to penthouse nightclubs, and other places. When I peruse Google maps the acres of empty rooftops in New York are crying out for the same.

And that's a bummer about 30 Hudson's pinnacle space it would have made for some cool movie scenes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:19 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
All it's missing is a rooftop helipad. Shame the rules are set in stone. Sao Paulo has choppers flitting to & fro 24/7 ferrying the elite to penthouse nightclubs, and other places. When I peruse Google maps the acres of empty rooftops in New York are crying out for the same.

And that's a bummer about 30 Hudson's pinnacle space it would have made for some cool movie scenes.
New York is still wary of helicopter transit after the various accidents of New York Airways (The world's first urban helicopter airline) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...ways#Accidents

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

The proportions are wrong, but some nicely done work...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIin_VasOL8/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I mean its not totally bad. I'd probally need to see renderings of it from many different angles and from a distance. My biggest thing will be how it will impact the overall skyline aesthetics, and from different angles. One say viewed from DoBro or Jersey or via LIC. Now if this tower was placed in Lower Manhattan, that could be devastating for the overall aesthetics. Midtown might be able to absorb this where it doesn't punish the overall balance too much, even at 1,556'.

This might be one of those, say it does rise, that might... just might grow on us.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
New York is still wary of helicopter transit after the various accidents of New York Airways (The world's first urban helicopter airline) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...ways#Accidents
Does NYC have a rooftop helipad ban? That's a shame. I guess it figures, I haven't seen a movie since the late '70s showing NYC rooftop helipads being used. I'm guessing only hospital helipads are allowed now?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:04 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Does NYC have a rooftop helipad ban? That's a shame. I guess it figures, I haven't seen a movie since the late '70s showing NYC rooftop helipads being used. I'm guessing only hospital helipads are allowed now?
Yes they do, ever since the New York Airways PanAm building incident in 1977. I think the FAA grants some exceptions to this ban but only with very special permission. The sorts of helicopters that would ever be open to the general public are simply not allowed to land on manhattan island, period. The only reason any public helicopter tourism companies can remain in business is via a loophole in the regulation: Their helipads are –technically speaking– not actually on manhattan, but in the rivers

Edit:

It is unfortunate, but helicopters are actually fairly dangerous.. on a purely #of vehicles/#of crashes basis, they crash well over 100x more often than planes. This is likely because of their unholy combination of inability to generate unpowered lift and literally dozens of possible single points of failure. (Theoretically, until you get up to 4 separate rotors, multiplying the number of rotors does not give you any redundancy, it simply doubles or triples the number of possible single points of failure)

Flying cars (which will probably have 4+ rotors) are likely to change all of this, but for now, we are stuck.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Dec 10, 2020 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:48 PM

If 30 Hudson were built in Dubai the observation platform would be a helipad.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It would also be a 7 star hotel too.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:39 AM

And it would be mostly empty

What would they have done if 2 WTC were still standing with its 1370'+ open deck? Would they have made 30 Hudson much taller to try and take the record? I don't think they would.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 12:57 AM

Wait- so 30 Hudson doesn't have that special observation deck at the tip as shown in the renders? Man. That is lame. More value engineering?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Wait- so 30 Hudson doesn't have that special observation deck at the tip as shown in the renders? Man. That is lame. More value engineering?

They do have that deck, but it's a tourist attraction now, where you'll be able to lean over (open air) and look below...

Maybe Harry will add some bunjee jumping to his deck to go with the slide, lol. It's all about the thrills now.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:36 PM

Looking at the old render, the private club was actually directly below the new upper viewing platform. They could probably have had both.

I wonder what the cost will be. If a queue skip is included at street level too...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I can imagine future window washing for this tower will be a challenge, especially the upper portion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals