HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:22 PM
DENNAB

Anyone else starting to like this building more? Still not in love with it but feeling much better.

I kinda hope it gets built now.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:46 PM

I dunno perhaps if 432 wasn't there. It just in a way looks like it's older more arrogant brother. The facade/shape has to change a little. Not many people like this tower at all. I don't think I've ever seen such hate. Perhaps instead of going straight up it has a few sections out of it or something? Bit like 56 Leonard Street?

I can't imagine it being an icon except for the interior and observation deck. Very tasty. Good luck getting that observation platform up there. HY's was a piece of cake compared to this!!

BTW the images seem to put it where the ESB is. I don't know why? Very strange.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:09 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

What happened to

Sleek
Futuristic
John Portman style

Architecture befitting the century we live in

Another 1500 foot box ?!?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I don't know whether to hate or love this design. It's certainly innovative and would be an icon.
I like it more than I did. I still want that top screened off so the mechanical equipment isn't visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
An arms race between Tower Fifth and Grand Hyatt would be exciting!
Only if Harry improved on this design. But a spire would help at this point. I like the building, but it isn't really what you want on the NY skyline. Still, I like the fresh approach.

The base of the tower will be a light, airy addition to street level. The main shaft of the tower doesn't begin until 390 ft up. You could walk down the street, and not see it at all.

Harry Macklowe built 432 Park Avenue, and many people complained about building luxury homes for billionaires on the skyline, while the public got nothing. In this case, we see the opposite, a giant tower with very generous public space, both above and below.

The deck looks to be quite an experience, not something you go through quickly. The use of stairs rather than escalators help to give it a grand feeling.

I would likely do that slide before I climbed the top of 30 Hudson. But that's a pretty good drop.

The top portion is a design that probably would be getting great reviews if it were at ground level. That restaurant will be great.

That skywalk looks thrilling. The view from there of the building itself should be just as thrilling.

A better approximation of what that view below would be in its correct location...

Don't know if I want to be walking underneath this, but the deck itself has a museum-like quality. Harry should put in some of his art.
https://news.artnet.com/market/mackl...tponed-1808241

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 30, 2020 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:43 AM

A design improvement to be sure but the Jenga looking top should be made to look fore fluid.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:16 AM

So between this and 432 Park, Macklowe really is at the bleeding edge of "garbage-ification of the skyline," isn't he?

And to think Amanda "Nitwit" Burden chopped down Tour Verre only to have Macklowe's exercises in rectangles clot up the skyline...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:36 AM

Yeah still not a fan as a whole, I generally don't like jenga stacking look on towers. But the bulk of the tower not starting until almost 400ft is crazy. If you're wearing a hat, the brim would probably completely block the bulk of the tower.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Unless you're looking up, which most people don't do anyway, you can walk by most towers in New York not realizing how tall they are. Even the taller towers like CPT. It's only from a distance where true scale begins to show. With this design, what would grab your eyes is the airy and open base. Then you would see the giant "stem", and the magically floating tower above.

NOVEMBER 29, 2020

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:04 PM
BANNED

I really don’t see this happening before Harry dies.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I really don’t see this happening before Harry dies.
He's 83, so still potentially has many years. If he did though I wonder if anyone else at Macklowe properties would continue his vision. I hope.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
He's 83, so still potentially has many years. If he did though I wonder if anyone else at Macklowe properties would continue his vision. I hope.
I think that he is Macklowe Properties. He and his son had a falling out, and the latter started his own firm. I could see him leaving everything to his new wife who, in turn, would sell the properties. I’d love to see Michael Stern develop this site.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
How is this picture the 5 East 51st Street location?? ..looks south of Bryant Park.

Details, details! Editorial license? Good catch!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:56 PM
BANNED

Harry owns three, small townhouses. In my opinion, he’s a delusional narcissist.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/gutsy-...1o4Y2dVaTM2blE.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:39 PM

No, just...no. Absolutely awful in every possible way, from the awkward massing, to the bland choice of materials, to the complete lack of street presence or sensitivity to it's surroundings. Someone needs to find Harry Macklowe, cut open his quadricep, and fill it with salt. Fuck him, fuck this building, and fuck everybody involved with it's design and development up to this point. Holy crap, I cannot believe this is a real proposal. I feel like I need a whiskey and a shower after looking it at.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
No, just...no. Absolutely awful in every possible way, from the awkward massing, to the bland choice of materials, to the complete lack of street presence or sensitivity to it's surroundings. Someone needs to find Harry Macklowe, cut open his quadricep, and fill it with salt. Fuck him, fuck this building, and fuck everybody involved with it's design and development up to this point. Holy crap, I cannot believe this is a real proposal. I feel like I need a whiskey and a shower after looking it at.
pull the rittenhouse bottle out of the well and run the water, the buildings on the site are vacated.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Only if Harry improved on this design. But a spire would help at this point. I like the building, but it isn't really what you want on the NY skyline. Still, I like the fresh approach.
Adding a 150 - 200 ft spire would accomplish both without breaking the bank: Tower Fifth would become taller than Grand Hyatt, and the building would no longer have an awkward blocky top.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
pull the rittenhouse bottle out of the well and run the water, the buildings on the site are vacated.
I'm gonna have to lol. I'm half tempted to say I could go for another Great Depression just to stop this building from being built. God, I hate it. It has literally no redeeming qualities other than it's height.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Adding a 150 - 200 ft spire would accomplish both without breaking the bank: Tower Fifth would become taller than Grand Hyatt, and the building would no longer have an awkward blocky top.
Add two or more spires. Come on enough with the solo spire. Lets do this. I hope sooner or later a tower does this either way!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Add two or more spires. Come on enough with the solo spire. Lets do this. I hope sooner or later a tower does this either way!
350 Park Avenue will do that, so Tower Fifth doesn't have to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals