HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 2:25 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yes. I went on a tour of Caltech in my junior year of high school since I was considering it as one of my colleges. Our tour guide was obviously a genius, nerdy, and probably a little on the autism spectrum, or maybe just a bit of asbergers. But clearly a genius. Mismatched socks, and yes, I swear, as he talks he fondled a magnet. Probably two magnets. Since he was a physics student, the magnetic forces probably appealed to him. He probably dreamed Faraday lines and Maxwell equations.

Caltech I would wager is the highest IQ school in the U.S., maybe even edging out MIT. I think the students at Caltech embrace their nerdiness as a badge of honor, and did so decades before it became fashionable to be a nerd or least pretend to be one, even before the terms "nerd" and "geek" were invented. If you remember the film "War Games", the two nerdy/geeky geniuses that the Broderick character gets computer advice from, probably C.T. grads. Like I said earlier, they didn't set "Big Bang Theory" at Caltech and nearby JPL (that started as a Caltech facility where rockets could be safely tested away from campus) for nothing. The polar opposite of a "football school", although some of the students play a form of football, badly. Why Stanford prides itself on sometimes having good football teams puzzled me, until I realized that Stanford is secure in its elite reputation so they can afford to. Plus football is important to some of the alums. But the band is a joke, so it shows where their heart is, with the nerds.

Most colleges, including the best and smartest, proclaim to adhere to the ancient Greek (or at least Ionnian/Athenian) ideal of balance (the Dorians/Spartans mostly viered to the militaristic pole although some of their colonies did not). The ideal person (if their ability and social position allowed) should be a scholar, cultured, socially adept, politically involved, athletic, and a warrior if necessary. Only a relative few achieved this balance, but some did. Socrates was a genius philosopher, man about town at all the best parties, and a skilled warrier in the Pelo. War, although it didn't end up well for him when a conservative faction took over after the defeat to Sparta and put him to death.

Of course some colleges lean to one pole or the other, the "Spartan" football schools, where football is an important revenue source and gives pride to alums and students, and the "Athenian" academic excellence/balanced schools. Some schools (UCLA, Washington, Michigan, Texas, Stanford etc.) do it all well, academics & athletics. Schools like MIT and Caltech have put in mandatory humanities courses for undergrads, and encourage them to take up sports, or at least keep fit in a striving for balance, not just hard science excellence. While many of our billionaires were nerds, the nerdy/geeky aspects have become somewhat worn down, not entirely. A certain mega billionaire who I will not name still rocks back and forth in his chair, and for all I know, might be rolling magnets in his hand to this day. And honestly, being a nerd became cool when it was observed how rich they often became. The jocks, in most cases, sold shoes or changed tires. The luckier jocks became well off selling cars, or real estate. Very few became pro sports millionaires.

MIT famously has a swimming requirement for undergrads, for historical reasons.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
None of the top ranked U.S. universities have huge undergraduate enrollments. No school in the top 15 has even 10,000 undergraduate students. But all have at least 4,000 undergrads, excepting CalTech, which is tiny.
Johns Hopkins, #10 on this list, had well less than 2000 undergrads when I went there. Their web site says in 2018 they awarded 1500 bachelors' degrees. So 4000??? If you count all the grad programs maybe.

Meanwhile, I'd put the Hopkins Applied Physics Lab up against JPL (but as the following indicates, sometimes they work together). APL gets more government research money and the rovers currently stalking around on Mars are from APL.

Quote:
The Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory

We solve complex research, engineering, and analytical problems that present critical challenges to our nation. APL—the nation’s largest university affiliated research center—provides U.S. government agencies with deep expertise in specialized fields to support national priorities and technology development programs. We also serve as independent trusted technical agents to the government, providing continuity for highly complex, multigenerational technology development systems.
Current projects besides the Mars Rovers:

- "Just two days after leaving Johns Hopkins APL in a specialized container, NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) spacecraft arrived at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California, where it is scheduled to launch in late November. . . . Shortly after it arrived at Johns Hopkins APL, the Italian Space Agency’s first-ever deep-space miniaturized satellite, called LICIACube, was installed on DART. The CubeSat will snap images of DART as it performs its final maneuver: a deliberate crash into an asteroid."

- "Just a year after a team from Johns Hopkins APL and Durham University showed for the first time that spacecraft could help end a decades-long stalemate on how long a neutron can last outside an atom’s nucleus, the team has done it again. In a new study using lunar data, the team made a tenfold improvement on their last estimate, drawing closer to answering a question that will improve our understanding of the early universe."

- "APL has been working with the U.S. Army to develop an experimental prototype for the Multi-Domain Task Force for situational awareness, targeting and intelligence preparation of the operational environment at the security level of the unit."

- "APL scientists have made significant progress toward creating the first worldwide, near-real-time inventory of road transportation emissions, contributing a major piece to a larger effort to monitor greenhouse gas emissions on a global scale, known as Climate TRACE."

- "After five years of developing and testing a complex particle detection instrument for NASA’s Psyche mission, the world’s first mission to study a potentially metal-rich asteroid, the Psyche team at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, Maryland, can finally take a breather. The team’s instrument — a gamma-ray and neutron spectrometer, or GRNS — safely arrived at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, on Aug. 2. There, it will be integrated with the Psyche spacecraft and prepped for launch next year."

- "NASA has given Princeton University, the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) and their many partner institutions the go-ahead to begin implementing the Interstellar Mapping and Acceleration Probe (IMAP) — a mission to sample, analyze and map particles streaming to Earth from the edges of interstellar space. Set to launch in February 2025, IMAP will investigate two critical issues in space physics: the acceleration of energetic particles from the Sun and the interaction of these particles — known as the solar wind — with the interstellar medium."
https://www.jhuapl.edu

Last edited by Pedestrian; Oct 24, 2021 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:09 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Johns Hopkins, #10 on this list, had well less than 2000 undergrads when I went there. Their web site says in 2018 they awarded 1500 bachelors' degrees. So 4000??? If you count all the grad programs maybe.
Assuming a 4-year graduation timeline, 1500 bachelor's degrees implies 6000 undergrads, inline with its peers.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Assuming a 4-year graduation timeline, 1500 bachelor's degrees implies 6000 undergrads, inline with its peers.
Not necessarily. That would include nursing and other degrees on different campuses (including in Bologna, Italy and in Singapore) and even some non-full time programs. But they probably do have more students now than when I was there: They are now co-ed and they've put up a lot of new buildings. Seems to me there were about 1600 total students in "arts and sciences" in the 1960s.

Addendum: So you got me to check and they are saying 1300 students are currently at the main arts and sciences campus for in-person instruction ( https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/01/19/stude...n-spring-2021/ ). Seems like that's consistent with a few hundred choosing to continue learning online right now so maybe the enrollment isn't much bigger.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 6:11 AM

Quote:
And honestly, being a nerd became cool when it was observed how rich they often became. The jocks, in most cases, sold shoes or changed tires. The luckier jocks became well off selling cars, or real estate. Very few became pro sports millionaires.
You know in real life, the jocks probably ended up perfectly fine in life right?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
You know in real life, the jocks probably ended up perfectly fine in life right?
I'm sure most do quite well in whatever profession they choose. Athletics, especially team sports, does have value in preparing one for life. Some no doubt became doctors, lawyers, engineers, bank presidents, teachers, successful businessmen, even scientists. A lucky few may make a good living in professional sports or broadcasting. And not all "nerds", perhaps even the majority, are successful if being a "nerd" includes being socially awkward, which is a handicap in life. On balance, the "jocks" may have the better track record in life. Stereotypes are often wrong.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 24, 2021 at 7:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 3:01 PM

NCAA athletes have a higher average GPA than the NCAA general student population.

20% of Princeton's undergraduate population consists of recruited athletes. For small, elite colleges, like Amherst and Williams, it's more like 30%.

Also, certain professions, such as sales and trading, have a huge share of former athletes. So most of the jock stereotypes are silly.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 3:07 PM

But most of the nerd stereotypes are 100% accurate. Being a computer nerd is still completely uncool.

Don’t give me “I work in tech” and expect me to be impressed. Quite the opposite, I will seek out others who engage in interesting lines of work, and/or who are actually fun to be around.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
MIT famously has a swimming requirement for undergrads, for historical reasons.
I thought sports/PE requirements were pretty common.

Cornell had a swimming requirement, and required at least two intramural sports. I was in the pool taking the test about 30 minutes after getting dropped off by my parents.

Columbia appears to have the same. Swim test and two intramurals. MIT appears to require four intramurals. There must be some kind of waiver for disabled students or whatever, but these requirements aren't unusual, I don't think.

I thought the required sports were actually great for making friends, as almost everyone did them during first year. And a lot of the sports were appealing even to non-athletes. Ballroom dancing, fishing, dogsledding, meditation, massage and the like.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Although I'm intrigued by OinkMoo Tea Bar. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the area.
We went to OinkMoo last night for the very first time; it's only been open for 2 years, I think.

The Ti Kwan Yin Milk Tea I had was pretty good (Pics will be in the What Are You Eating? thread, hehe).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:

Cornell had a swimming requirement, and required at least two intramural sports. I was in the pool taking the test about 30 minutes after getting dropped off by my parents.

Columbia appears to have the same. Swim test and two intramurals. MIT appears to require four intramurals. There must be some kind of waiver for disabled students or whatever, but these requirements aren't unusual, I don't think.

I thought the required sports were actually great for making friends, as almost everyone did them during first year. And a lot of the sports were appealing even to non-athletes. Ballroom dancing, fishing, dogsledding, meditation, massage and the like.
I think we had to take PE as freshmen as I recall. Must have or I would never have seen the inside of the athletic center. But the faculty knew we were all nerds so they didn't push it like in high school where the PE teacher wanted to make us all jocks. It just meant having to waste a couple of hours a week and sweating.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:26 PM
E pluribus unum

CalTech reminds me of the movie "Real Genius" which apparently wasn't too far off the mark in depicting campus life?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 10:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

I think most colleges have dropped such requirements recently, except for a few Ivies + MIT. UChicago dropped swim test + PE requirements in 2012. Stanford, if it ever had them, dropped them before I enrolled in 2005...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 10:43 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
CalTech reminds me of the movie "Real Genius" which apparently wasn't too far off the mark in depicting campus life?
Yeah, it's quite believable based on the CalTech alums I know...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:

Columbia appears to have the same. Swim test and two intramurals. MIT appears to require four intramurals. There must be some kind of waiver for disabled students or whatever, but these requirements aren't unusual, I don't think. Fishing?

The typical male (and perhaps female) freshman at this point would ask "is the massage course coed?"

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 26, 2021 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
The typical male (and perhaps female) freshman at this point would ask "is the massage course coed?"

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Don’t give me “I work in tech” and expect me to be impressed.
That's how I am too. I like to define a person by what they like to do on their spare time, NOT by what they do to earn a living. So if someone tells me they're a doctor, lawyer, they work in tech, I'm not impressed.

Incidentally, the most interesting people I've worked with have had numerous jobs, not just one "career."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I think we had to take PE as freshmen as I recall. Must have or I would never have seen the inside of the athletic center. But the faculty knew we were all nerds so they didn't push it like in high school where the PE teacher wanted to make us all jocks. It just meant having to waste a couple of hours a week and sweating.
Yeah, in junior high (they called it that before "middle school") I had a Marine drill instructor-like gym teacher with a crew cut and snarl who took sadistic pleasure (or so it seemed) in making the fat and/or clumsy kids like me climb the 20 foot rope, do the hard gymnastics things on the pommel horse (easy to injure the family jewels), tumbling (the fat kids usually just rolled) and perhaps the scariest of all, the balance beam (I still have bad dreams over 50 years later). I hated rainy days because we were forced indoors into the stinky gym to do these hard scary things. Most of the nerds/geeks figured out that corrective/remedial gym classes were best. They only made you do the easy stuff in corrective gym: walking (not running) around the track, easy calisthetics, etc. But you had to humble yourself before the vice principal to get into nerd/geek gym classes, or get a doctors note.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 26, 2021 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:39 AM

And we have 2022 now! (https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ities/rankings)

2022 Best Universities in the World (U.S. News and World Report)

NORTH AMERICA
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta
  • Emory University (#71) > (#74) [-3 SPOTS]
  • Georgia Institute of Technology (#66) > (#58) [+12 SPOTS!!]
Austin
  • University of Texas (#38) > (#43) [-5 SPOTS!]
Boston
  • Boston University (#57) > (#65) [-8 SPOTS!]
  • Harvard University (#1) > (#1) [NO CHANGE]
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology (#2) > (#2) [NO CHANGE]
Champaign-Urbana
  • University of Illinois (#60) > (#72) [-12 SPOTS!!]
Chicago
  • Northwestern University (#24) > (#24) [NO CHANGE]
  • University of Chicago (#16) > (#15) [+1 SPOT]
Columbus
  • Ohio State University (#45) > (#52) [-7 SPOTS!]
Denver
  • University of Colorado (#59) > (#62) [-3 SPOTS]
Detroit
  • University of Michigan (#17) > (#19) [-2 SPOTS]
Gainesville
  • University of Florida (#N/A) > (#99) [*NEW* IN TOP 100]
Ithaca
  • Cornell University (#22) > (#22) [NO CHANGE]
Los Angeles
  • California Institute of Technology (#7) > (#9) [-2 SPOTS]
  • University of California, Irvine (#78) > (#86) [-8 SPOTS!]
  • University of California, Los Angeles (#13) > (#14) [-1 SPOT]
  • University of Southern California (#70) > (#70) [NO CHANGE]
Madison
  • University of Wisconsin (#41) > (#52) [-11 SPOTS!!]
Minneapolis-Saint Paul
  • University of Minnesota (#47) > (#55) [-8 SPOTS!]
Montreal
  • McGill University (#51) > (#51) [NO CHANGE]
Nashville
  • Vanderbilt University (#72) > (#73) [-1 SPOT]
New York
  • Columbia University (#6) > (#6) [NO CHANGE]
  • Mount Sinai School of Medicine (#62) > (#57) [+5 SPOTS!]
  • New York University (#29) > (#30) [-1 SPOT]
  • Princeton University (#11) > (#16) [-5 SPOTS!]
  • Rockefeller University (#76) > (#89) [-13 SPOTS!!]
  • Yale University (#11) > (#12) [-1 SPOT]
Philadelphia
  • University of Pennsylvania (#14) > (#13) [+1 SPOT]
Pittsburgh
  • University of Pittsburgh (#43) > (#42) [+1 SPOT]
Raleigh-Durham
  • Duke University (#23) > (#23) [NO CHANGE]
  • University of North Carolina (#36) > (#39) [-3 SPOTS]
Sacramento
  • University of California, Davis (#66) > (#67) [-1 SPOT]
Saint Louis
  • Washington University in Saint Louis (#33) > (#31) [+2 SPOTS]
San Diego
  • University of California, San Diego (#21) > (#21) [NO CHANGE]
San Francisco
  • Stanford University (#3) > (#3) [NO CHANGE]
  • University of California, Berkeley (#4) > (#4) [NO CHANGE]
  • University of California, San Francisco (#15) > (#11) [+4 SPOTS]
Santa Barbara
  • University of California, Santa Barbara (#56) > (#67) [-11 SPOTS!!]
Seattle
  • University of Washington (#8) > (#7) [+1 SPOT]
State College
  • Pennsylvania State University (#75) > (#80) [-5 SPOTS]
Toronto
  • University of Toronto (#17) > (#16) [+1 SPOT]
Tucson
  • University of Arizona (#97) > (#99) [-2 SPOTS]
Vancouver
  • University of British Columbia (#31) > (#35) [-4 SPOTS]
Washington-Baltimore
  • Johns Hopkins University (#10) > (#9) [+1 SPOT]
  • University of Maryland (#60) > (#60) [NO CHANGE]

EUROPE

Amsterdam-Rotterdam
  • Erasmus University (#68) > (#62) [+6 SPOTS!]
  • Free University of Amsterdam (#80) > (#84) [-4 SPOTS]
  • Leiden University (#86) > (#82) [+4 SPOTS]
  • University of Amsterdam (#40) > (#38) [+2 SPOTS]
  • Utrecht University (#54) > (#48) [+6 SPOTS!]
Barcelona
  • University of Barcelona (#90) > (#87) [+3 SPOTS]
Berlin
  • Free University of Berlin (#N/A) > (#95) [*NEW* IN TOP 100]
  • Humboldt University of Berlin (#82) > (#78) [+4 SPOTS]
Birmingham
  • University of Birmingham (#92) > (#91) [+1 SPOT]
Bristol
  • University of Bristol (#86) > (#92) [-6 SPOTS!]
Brussels
  • Catholic University of Leuven (#48) > (#48) [NO CHANGE]
  • Ghent University (#85) > (#92) [-7 SPOTS!]
Copenhagen-Malmo
  • Lund University (#99) > (#95) [+4 SPOTS]
  • University of Copenhagen (#34) > (#37) [-3 SPOTS]
Edinburgh
  • University of Edinburgh (#30) > (#32) [-2 SPOTS]
Geneva-Lausanne
  • Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (#58) > (#70) [-12 SPOTS!!]
Glasgow
  • University of Glasgow (#86) > (#84) [+2 SPOTS]
Groningen
  • University of Groningen (#92) > (#88) [+4 SPOTS]
Helsinki
  • University of Helsinki (#86) > (#94) [-8 SPOTS!]
London
  • Imperial College London (#20) > (#20) [NO CHANGE]
  • King's College London (#34) > (#33) [+1 SPOT]
  • University College London (#19) > (#16) [+3 SPOTS]
  • University of Cambridge (#9) > (#8) [+1 SPOT]
  • University of Oxford (#5) > (#5) [NO CHANGE]
  • University of Southampton (#97) > (#97) [NO CHANGE]
Manchester
  • University of Manchester (#64) > (#58) [+6 SPOTS!]
Mannheim-Heidelberg
  • University of Heidelberg (#54) > (#54) [NO CHANGE]
Munich
  • Technical University of Munich (#76) > (#74) [+2 SPOTS]
  • University of Munich (#46) > (#46) [NO CHANGE]
Nijmegen-Arnhem
  • Wageningen University (#83) > (#80) [+3 SPOTS]
Oslo
  • University of Oslo (#90) > (#90) [NO CHANGE]
Paris
  • Paris Sorbonne University (#43) > (#46) [-3 SPOTS]
  • University of Paris (#68) > (#67) [+1 SPOT]
  • University of Paris (#N/A) > (#60) [*NEW* IN TOP 100]
Stockholm
  • Karolinska Institute (#48) > (#48) [NO CHANGE]
Zurich
  • Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (#26) > (#26) [NO CHANGE]
  • University of Zurich (#62) > (#64) [-2 SPOTS]

ASIA-PACIFIC

Adelaide
  • University of Adelaide (#73) > (#66) [+7 SPOTS!]
Beijing
  • Peking University (#51) > (#45) [+6 SPOTS!]
  • Tsinghua University (#28) > (#26) [+2 SPOTS]
Brisbane
  • University of Queensland (#36) > (#36) [NO CHANGE]
Canberra
  • Australian National University (#64) > (#56) [+8 SPOTS!]
Hong Kong
  • Chinese University of Hong Kong (#95) > (#82) [+13 SPOTS!!]
  • University of Hong Kong (#83) > (#76) [+7 SPOTS!]
Jeddah
  • King Abdulaziz University (#42) > (#44) [-2 SPOTS]
  • King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (#N/A) > (#97) [*NEW* IN TOP 100]
Melbourne
  • Monash University (#48) > (#40) [+8 SPOTS!]
  • University of Melbourne (#25) > (#25) [NO CHANGE]
Perth
  • University of Western Australia (#79) > (#79) [NO CHANGE]
Singapore
  • Nanyang Technological University (#38) > (#33) [+5 SPOTS!]
  • National University of Singapore (#32) > (#29) [+3 SPOTS]
Sydney
  • University of New South Wales (#51) > (#41) [+10 SPOTS!!]
  • University of Sydney (#27) > (#28) [-1 SPOT]
Tokyo
  • University of Tokyo (#73) > (#77) [-4 SPOTS]

DEMOTED (AKA REMOVED FROM TOP 100)
  • Carnegie Mellon University (#94) > (#102) [-8 SPOTS!]
  • Michigan State University (#100) > (#108) [-8 SPOTS!]
  • University of Geneva (#96) > (#101) [-5 SPOTS!]
  • University of California, Santa Cruz (#81) > (#103) [-18 SPOTS!!!]

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:49 AM

^^Applied physics battle of the century: CalTech and my Johns Hopkins, both at #9 = JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab) vs APL (Applied Physics Lab).

I still don't get UCSF being ranked at all. It's purely a medical institution (albeit one where I also trained).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions