HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 7:52 AM
Hammer'd

What I have read is that they will be running it however the name will stay the same.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:11 PM
Closed account

Doesn't the Government of Ontario still run/fund GO?
So why would they change the name? I like GO... it doesn't suggest it's only around to service Toronto (although we all know it is)...
Metrolinx makes it seem like they're linking everywhere to Ontario's "Metro".

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 3:09 PM

GO Transit will not be rebranded.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hammer'd

Metrolinx is still better than GTTA.

On a transit forum I'm on, everyone was up in arms about the change and how it doesn't sound enough like Toronto something or other. Apparently they don't realize that the planning will be stretching as far away as Niagara/Fort Erie and Kitchener/Waterloo.

I love Toronto but I'm sick of it being the center of the universe for all transit planning. Hamilton, K/W and Niagara get shafted time in and time out, it's time for it to end. You can't ignore a city with half a million residents.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
You can't ignore a city with half a million residents.
Why not? They ignore the other 25million people in this country, what's 500,000 poor people from Hamilton? ahahaha

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:38 PM
Closed account

New link for commuters

Toronto Star
(Dec 6, 2007)

Disgruntled commuters can now share their ideas about how to fix the GTA's transit woes thanks to a new interactive website from the regional transit authority.

Launched by Metrolinx -- formerly the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority -- www.metrolinx.com kicks off the public consultation process for the agency's regional transportation plan due this spring.

Ideas about how to fix the region's crowded transit services and congested roadways are welcome, but the site also offers maps, information on transit systems around the world, news, mini-polls and traveller surveys. It will also post Metrolinx policy papers and online discussions.

Transportation Minister Jim Bradley and Metrolinx chair Rob MacIsaac unveiled the site Tuesday. Metrolinx is made up of 11 regional representatives, mostly politicians. Queen's Park appointed it to draft a plan earlier this year.

The GTTA had already recommended $1 billion in priority transit projects for the region.

"We think our consultation process will be unprecedented in its breadth and depth," said MacIsaac, the past mayor of Burlington

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/292108

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:07 PM

I mentioned to a few people who live in the east end of Hamilton and in Stoney Creek (who take the GO to Toronto) that there could be a GO Station on the Hamilton/Stoney Creek border. They didn't see the point and felt it would be better to continue to drive to Burlington for their commute.

I was surprised they felt that way until they gave me their reasons - which I can understand. It takes them roughly 15 minutes to drive to the Burlington station. It would take around 30-35 minutes for the train to travel from the Hamilton/Stoney Creek border to the Burlington station (since it takes 20 minutes from Hunter to Burlington). So basically taking the GO from the east end of Hamilton would add 15-20 minutes to their commute each way (30-40 minutes per day).

Money plays a factor as well. It costs $245 for a monthly GO pass from Burlington to Toronto, where it costs $285 from Hunter... and will probably be $295-$300 from the Hamilton/Stoney Creek border. So basically they'd be paying around $50-$55 more per month.

They would also have to match Burlington's train service as people sometimes need to leave to work later in the morning, and also leave for home later when they put in some OT.

I understand their position and I think it'll be a tough sell to convert these east-end Hamilton commuters who drive to Burlington station.

Last edited by Berklon; Dec 10, 2007 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 1:06 AM

Sound like GO needs a link across the beach strip. Eastport drive is pretty wide and underutilized, hint hint

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 1:12 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Disgruntled commuters can now share their ideas about how to fix the GTA's transit woes thanks to a new interactive website from the regional transit authority.
I got an idea. Stop building car-dependent office parks in places like Borington and Jokeville.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:28 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Sound like GO needs a link across the beach strip. Eastport drive is pretty wide and underutilized, hint hint
If you do that you'll go right pass the Aldershot station.

Don't forget the GO Train is suppose to get electrification creating Super GO which will speed up the trains faster.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Don't forget the GO Train is suppose to get electrification creating Super GO which will speed up the trains faster.
The problem is that the increased speed of the GO won't make a big difference during the Hamilton--Aldershot--Burlington part of the trip. The speed increase will be noticed after Burlington, especially during the Oakville--Toronto phase as it usually runs express.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
If you do that you'll go right pass the Aldershot station.
That's okay, they can skip Aldershot since nobody needs to go there anyway.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:23 AM

Hamilton getting $5.5 million for transit from province
Cash will buy six diesel-electric buses for Upper James corridor

December 12, 2007
By Robert Benzie
Torstar news service
The Ontario government will announce at least $400 million in new transit funding Thursday, including $100 million for the fledgling regional Metrolinx system, sources told the Star.
Finance Minister Dwight Duncan will table his fall economic statement Thursday afternoon in the Legislature, where he will announce a cash infusion for public transit.
Hamilton stands to receive $5.5 million to pay for six new articulated diesel-electric hybrid buses for the city’s Upper James corridor. Those will help commuters on routes in and around Hamilton International Airport, Mohawk College and the downtown GO terminal.
Duncan will also disclose that $300 million will be earmarked in "state of good repair" funding for transit systems across Ontario, including the TTC.
That much-needed maintenance money will go toward fixing tracks, signals, and switches, and is the first trickle of the $17.5 billion touted for GTA transit in the Liberals' Move Ontario 2020 plan for the next decade.
In addition to that, $100 million will go toward Metrolinx -- known until last week as the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority -- for regional transit.
Metrolinx is aiming for a seamless transportation network through Toronto, Durham, York, Peel, Halton, and Hamilton.
As a boost to the new transit authority, the province will give $60 million to GO Transit to expand the rail fleet with 20 double-decker passenger coaches for the busy Lakeshore corridor, which should alleviate the morning and evening rush hours.
There will be $9 million for 10 new double-decker commuter buses to improve service on the Highways 407-403 corridor, and to York University.
Sources say that is "a precursor to future Highway 407 east-west bus rapid transit."
There will also be $20 million for new passing-track sections for the fast-growing GO lines to Bradford and Stouffville. These will provide all-day, two-way train service between Toronto and Markham and Toronto and Newmarket and East Gwillimbury.
As well, there will be $5.6 million for new platforms at Markham's Cornell transit terminal to integrate the VIVA system with GO, York Region Transit and Durham Region Transit.
"(That's) to create a new gateway to Durham region and the future Seaton urban community," a source said.
The new money comes just two days after Auditor General Jim McCarter castigated GO Transit in his annual report to the Legislature for poor planning.
On Tuesday, McCarter lamented the regional transit system's lack of financial resources and warned service is fast deteriorating.
While Duncan declined to discuss specific initiatives in today's statement, he hinted to reporters yesterday that Ontarians would welcome what he has to say.
"Of course I think it's a very good statement. I feel confident that it will be well received and I look forward to delivering the statement," the treasurer said.
Duncan acknowledged the sputtering U.S. economy, the high Canadian dollar, and soaring energy prices are taking a toll on Ontario's manufacturing sector.
But he refused to say what, if any, measures the government would have to help industry.
Progressive Conservative MPP Bob Runciman (Leeds-Grenville), his party's acting leader in the House, said he is worried the Liberals lack a plan to deal with the "crisis" in manufacturing.
"Hopefully it's not going to be more of this ‘Don't worry, be happy' stuff and talking about one specific sector," said Runciman, referring to the government's preoccupation with automotive manufacturing while ignoring other industries.
"We're looking for relief on the taxation side, we're looking for support in terms of human resources, the regulatory burdens, as well," he said.
NDP Leader Howard Hampton expressed concerns that Premier Dalton McGuinty's recently re-elected administration lacks a plan for an economy that could be on the cusp of challenging times.
"The bad news continues. We've lost almost 200,000 manufacturing jobs in the last three years. This is devastating whole regions of the province," said Hampton.
"So far there's no response from the McGuinty government other than `blame Ottawa.'"

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 3:20 AM
Closed account

Mohawk College?? Does Upper James route run past there? I thought it went up Upp Wellington and along Inverness...which, by the way, is lame. it should go up james mtn road to Mohawk and then down Fennel to Up. James.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Mohawk College?? Does Upper James route run past there? I thought it went up Upp Wellington and along Inverness...which, by the way, is lame. it should go up james mtn road to Mohawk and then down Fennel to Up. James.

No it interchanges into the "35 College" at the end of its route and vice versa, just like Up.Wentworth and Up.Wellington.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Warrior View Post
No it interchanges into the "35 College" at the end of its route and vice versa, just like Up.Wentworth and Up.Wellington.
No it doesn't. The 27 continues to the Mountain Transit Centre.

The 35 loops East from West 5th along stone church to upper james
and then south to Rymal then west to Garth terminating at St. Elizabeths. Then North along Garth to Limeridge and then East on Limeridge to West 5th again.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
Closed account

here it is from the HSR website:

https://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyr...E07Route27.pdf

I wonder if they'll change this route to serve the college.
Seems like a waste of time to come up the Jolley Cut, plus the few times I've ridden the 27 I couldn't stand the long wait at Inverness/Up James trying to make that left turn. No bus should have to do that without a transit signal.
One of the routes would need to serve the north part of Up James and Inverness neighbourhood though....maybe we're going to see a new express route. Perhaps #27 will stay as it is and the new artics will be used for a new A-Line route.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Good news!

From the sounds of it this will be a new route for the buses, A-Line.

Though I wonder if they'll cut any frequency on 35 and 27 with the addition of the A-Line. Nah, probably not as the A-Line is an express bus, with limited stops like the B-Line.

I believe in 2008 Mohawk College is suppose to get a new transit terminal, it's only been planned and delayed for nearly 4 years now.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:30 PM

Since the B-line is called the Bee Line.....shouldn't the A-Line be called the Eh Line?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

The city actually changed the name from Bee Line to B-Line recently, suppose to be a stepping stone to BRT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure