HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:05 AM

Vilia Gatineau [245 Boul du Plateau, Gatineau] | 11f | Completed

A new senior's residence is well under way in the Plateau. It will be the first building of notable height in this fast growing neighbourhood.

From the Developer's Website:
The residence for autonomous and semi-autonomous retirees, Sélection Gatineau of Sélection Retraite, will be located on the Boulevard des Grives, in the Gatineau Plateau SmartCenter. The project that will be built close to all businesses (Canadian Tire, Bank, IGA, Sports Experts, etc.) will have a total of 306 rental units. The building will include two towers of 11 floors, as well as a commercial offer on the ground floor. There will be a hairdresser, a pharmacy, indoor and outdoor parking, exterior pool, as well as professional services.

DJI_0882 by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:46 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I'm really baffled by the decision to place this development in this location.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
I'm really baffled by the decision to place this development in this location.
It makes a lot of sense to me. The Plateau is growing as fast or faster than any neighbourhood in the region. Barrhaven now has developments like these in it's 'town centre', along with Kanata, Orléans, Gatineau proper. I'm Sure Riverside South will get some taller apartments or senior housing with light rail coming in. What baffles you about it? This spot is getting light rail straight from downtown in a few years, density makes sense.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:40 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

It being a seniors-focused development in the middle of a busy car-centric shopping complex is what I am confused about. This is not like L'Initial in Aylmer which is constructed on top of a grocery store and attached to the shopping centre / town centre.

The parking lot is very busy - the complex is built next to a primary entrance/exit to Canadian Tire and the entire property is very pedestrian unfriendly. I would expect many of the residents would elect to drive over to IGA, which is the nearest grocery store, and is only 200-300m away. The only truly walkable (for residents with any mobility limitation) businesses within range of this site are Jean Coutu, and, if pedestrian infrastructure is improved, Canadian Tire.

This would have been more in place further along Plateau Blvd near the Agora complex. It would still have future transit (be it tramway or BRT) accessibility without being in the middle of that chaotic parking lot system

Add to that the plan to build the new multi-pad arena complex beside/behind Canadian Tire and there is even further reduced walkability in the area.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
It being a seniors-focused development in the middle of a busy car-centric shopping complex is what I am confused about. This is not like L'Initial in Aylmer which is constructed on top of a grocery store and attached to the shopping centre / town centre.

The parking lot is very busy - the complex is built next to a primary entrance/exit to Canadian Tire and the entire property is very pedestrian unfriendly. I would expect many of the residents would elect to drive over to IGA, which is the nearest grocery store, and is only 200-300m away. The only truly walkable (for residents with any mobility limitation) businesses within range of this site are Jean Coutu, and, if pedestrian infrastructure is improved, Canadian Tire.

This would have been more in place further along Plateau Blvd near the Agora complex. It would still have future transit (be it tramway or BRT) accessibility without being in the middle of that chaotic parking lot system

Add to that the plan to build the new multi-pad arena complex beside/behind Canadian Tire and there is even further reduced walkability in the area.
While I see your point about walkability, I could easily make the same point about the location of most new senior's residences in the region.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:26 PM
Mooderator

I think they are going to install traffic lights at that intersection at the bottom left of Harley's picture. That intersection is a shit show right now.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 7:16 PM

[Plateau] Sélection Retraite | 245 Boul. du Plateau | 11 fl | Under Construction

https://www.selectionretraite.com/en...raite-gatineau

This one is coming along quite nicely. It's by far the tallest building in the Plateau.

[IMG]20201110_113509 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Screenshot 2020-11-10 141218 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Screenshot 2020-11-10 141259 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 7:24 PM

Thanks Harley. I was wondering how this one was coming along. Absolutely massive!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:18 PM
Mooderator

Those traffic lights were put up in early November, and the sign said "Feux en service octobre 2020".. then last week they changed it to "decembre".

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Those traffic lights were put up in early November, and the sign said "Feux en service octobre 2020".. then last week they changed it to "decembre".
It's unbelievable how many people think they are a 4-way stop when they have garbage bags over them. I have almost rear ended people on Boul. du Plateau who suddenly stop and I have almost been t-boned by someone zooming out of the parking lot who though it was 'their turn'

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:55 PM

This morning's progress:

[IMG]DJI_0195 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DJI_0196 by harley613, on Flickr.[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:01 PM
ハルウララ

Nothing's been better for development updates in recent years than drones and people willing to fly them. Thanks for the update Harley.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:54 AM
Mooderator

It's impressive that we can see so much of the skyline even 11 floors up. Nice work.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:24 PM

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:48 PM

Not a fan of these massive "L" blocks. Just another modern version of 70s commie blocks.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Not a fan of these massive "L" blocks. Just another modern version of 70s commie blocks.
Agree, but better in this context than the 27 storey version Claridge is building on Rideau

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Agree, but better in this context than the 27 storey version Claridge is building on Rideau
True. As long as we don't see more of these blocks in the immediate area.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:26 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
True. As long as we don't see more of these blocks in the immediate area.
Sir, what do you think of the Nuvo.. I mean, NOX developments just south of here?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Sir, what do you think of the Nuvo.. I mean, NOX developments just south of here?
Not a fan of the sea of parking lots, but at least they are better hidden from the street than the older developments in the area.

That said, Le Plateau in general is superior to Ottawa's modern suburban communities, including Nuvo.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 11:17 PM

I just realized I created two threads for this project, they need to be merged
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244671

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs