HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:59 PM
National Capital Region

??? Distribution Facility [Roger Stevens Dr] | Approved

This land was designated at Roger Stevens/416 as the Jordel Agri-Industrial Commercial Park... not sure if this proposal would develop the entire site

OPA
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BMV3N2

Zoning
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BMV3N2

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:00 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Any idea who/what will occupy this centre? At 700K sq.ft. it's not quite Amazonian but still pretty massive.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Any idea who/what will occupy this centre? At 700K sq.ft. it's not quite Amazonian but still pretty massive.
It wouldn't be the first time that there has been a typo and this building is actually 65 000 ft2 not 65 000 m2 which is a difference of almost a factor of 11.

Either way it is a large warehouse not really near anywhere.. Not ticking too many boxes as far as I can see it. The devil is in the details on these things but I can see a lot of push back from the municipal policy wonks on this one unless there are some machinations going on at a political level.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:08 AM

If the size is correct I will take a guess of mere conjecture with no proof that it will be shopify's first canadian fulfillment centre.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
It wouldn't be the first time that there has been a typo and this building is actually 65 000 ft2 not 65 000 m2 which is a difference of almost a factor of 11.

Either way it is a large warehouse not really near anywhere.. Not ticking too many boxes as far as I can see it. The devil is in the details on these things but I can see a lot of push back from the municipal policy wonks on this one unless there are some machinations going on at a political level.
'Distribution warehouse w/ building footprint of approx. 65,000m2, parking lot & loading docks'

I'll wager it's actually 65,000m2 with that description. Definitely sounds like a regional distribution centre and a damned big one at that.

Candidates off the top of my head:
Canadian Tire
Walmart (maybe they outgrew Cornwall?)
UPS/Purolator/Fedex et. al.
Major Grocery chain

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:24 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
'Distribution warehouse w/ building footprint of approx. 65,000m2, parking lot & loading docks'

I'll wager it's actually 65,000m2 with that description. Definitely sounds like a regional distribution centre and a damned big one at that.

Candidates off the top of my head:
Canadian Tire
Walmart (maybe they outgrew Cornwall?)
UPS/Purolator/Fedex et. al.
Major Grocery chain
Your list of candidates seem valid besides Walmart as they still have room to grow at their second Cornwall warehouse. Canadian Tire and Loblaws would seem like a possibility as both of them scrapped plans for centres in the Cornwall area.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Seems to be a similar site to that of Amazon's distribution centre; a little outside the urban area on a 400 series highway. If anything, this site has better access to the 401.

I have no clue who might occupy the space, but OBJ frequently publish articles on light-industrial and office space shortages in the Ottawa area.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:41 PM

I guess the City better start protecting the Roger Stevens Road crossing of the Rideau for widening because it looks like Roger Steven-Snake Island-Victoria-Boundary may become somewhat of a southern industrial belt (sorry Metcalfe).

IMO this trend will lead to more sprawl, wish it was at least up near Barnsdale or something .

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:14 PM
National Capital Region

Plans are posted...Broccolini, same developer as Amazon

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Plans are posted...Broccolini, same developer as Amazon
Thanks for the heads up...this one seems to be flying under the radar but is a very large single use building. 30 m high on the edge of North Gower....doesn't anyone think of the children.

Maybe this one will finalize its legal agreements with the City quicker than the Amazon building which just did that. The little guy would never get away with that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:51 PM

The owner of the building is "MCU Holdings". Anyone know anything about them? I imagine they'll lease the space to a different company....but its hard to find really anything on them.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:15 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
The owner of the building is "MCU Holdings". Anyone know anything about them? I imagine they'll lease the space to a different company....but its hard to find really anything on them.
The concept plan title is "VIPER Industrial Warehouse" if that means anything...

I'm assuming it will work similar to the Boundary Road site. Broccolini buys the property from the original subdivision owner/local developer following zoning approvals. Broccolini builds spec or to suit. Following the completion of the project with a long-term tenant secured, Broccolini sells all or most of the property to a REIT or real estate fund. Everyone involved makes millions

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jul 30, 2019 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/dhru-raisinghani-06456725

I gather they bought the land from the original subdivider.

I don't recall much protest with Amazon since it was all cloak and dagger and the construction began before the applications were barely dry but in this area people in Manotick and North Gower are quite savvy and this one will likely get pushback. The plans call for 1800 cars...that is a lot of pavement.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:59 PM

With Amazon the location was on the south side of the highway just north of the city boundary so most of the people who would have NIMBY complaints would not be Ottawa residents.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:24 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up...this one seems to be flying under the radar but is a very large single use building. 30 m high on the edge of North Gower....doesn't anyone think of the children.

Maybe this one will finalize its legal agreements with the City quicker than the Amazon building which just did that. The little guy would never get away with that.
from the application summary

"Occupancy is scheduled for in 2021. Once the Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments come into force, a site plan control application will be submitted later in 2019. "

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
from the application summary

"Occupancy is scheduled for in 2021. Once the Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments come into force, a site plan control application will be submitted later in 2019. "

my guess is crappy tire or another amazon. Broccolini has done both. I guess Costco could be an option as well? HQ is on Hunt Club.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 8:16 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

The talk coming from an associate of mine at Brocolini has Alibaba as the potential tenant. Never saw that one coming if it turns out to be true.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 8:33 PM

someone mentioned alibaba in the cbc comments too.

they have a limited warehouse network in the US (LA/SF/NYC/NJ), not sure why Ottawa would be on their list.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tiny North Gower braces for giant warehouse in corn field, 1,700 workers on 24/7 shifts

Kelly Egan, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: October 16, 2019

North Gower is something of a “one-horse, one-light town” in Ottawa’s rural south, with a couple of pizza joints, a lumber and hardware store, one church steeple, and an all-purpose grocery that sells beer and jugs of water and worms, past the notice board about a lost cat and a used arc welder.

It’s a village after all, right off Highway 416, with a population just over 2,000, where city meets country — until city eats country?

Since August, the village has been buzzing with the news that a plan is afoot to build a massive, Amazon-style warehouse and distribution centre near the Roger Stevens exit off 416, about 2 1/2 kilometres from the heart of the village.

Though so far only an application to amend the official plan and zoning, Broccolini, the builder, has sketched out the vision: a 700,000-square-foot building with a frontage equal to about eight football fields and standing as high as nine stories.

On 120 acres, there would potentially be 63 loading bays, 240 “trailer-drop” spaces and roughly 1,800 parking spots. The site will be big enough for as many as 1,700 employees, possibly working 24/7 during peak periods.

In other words, close to 3,500 people (shifts depending) daily could be travelling to what is today a corn field, a tract that touches Ace Powell’s backyard.

“We built it by hand basically, and put all our heart and soul into it,” he says of the log retirement home, built on two acres on Third Line Road, starting in 2003.

Powell, 72, well-known as the former football coach of the Carleton Ravens, and his neighbours are worried about many of the same things: the scale, extra car and truck traffic, the light pollution from such a huge parking lot, the constant noise of rumbling, beeping trucks and the impact on already battered roads.

“This is going to kill North Gower,” he said one day this week.

“Instead of sitting in my backyard and looking at the stars, I’m going to feel like I’m at Lansdowne Park.”

Pat Gillis, 72, whose family started Quantum Farm and the associated horse operation, lives across the street, as do her three grown children in their own nearby homes. Their roots, in other words, are deeply planted.

“I feel it’s just unsuitable for this area,” Gillis said Wednesday. “We’re a village of 2,000 and, in one go, we’re going up to 4,000 people?”

Two things are adding to the general unrest: Powell received notice of the zoning change in August, when he was out of town on vacation, and only had two weeks to respond. Secondly, no one — not even ward Coun. Scott Moffatt — knows who the eventual tenant might be, leading to wild speculation.

“It’s all been kinda sneaky,” says Powell.

(We do know Montreal-based Broccolini has built similar warehouse centres for Amazon, IKEA and Canadian Tire.)

Broccolini real estate development director James Beach wrote that the “the end-user” has not been “solidified.” If the land-use changes are approved, the company would move to a site plan process tailored to the tenant. Typically, the build-out is between 12 to 24 months.

Moffatt, meanwhile, says he supports development on the site because of the planning rationale. Many residents either don’t know or have forgotten that the site — despite the corn — is currently zoned industrial. The maximum build under today’s rules is 1.4 million square feet in multiple buildings, he said, and right to the edge of neighbouring backyards.

The main difference with this plan is the height limit — to 30 metres from 15. Moffatt is hoping that discussions during the site-plan process will lead to an illumination plan that doesn’t leave the building looking like a giant, glowing spaceship visible for miles.

“There are always pros and cons,” said Moffatt, who lives in North Gower. “It’s about how to mitigate the negatives”

Moffatt assumes the end-tenant is someone in the “e-commerce” world and that, in peak season, the warehouse will operate multiple shifts. The uncertainty does not make things easier, he added.

“If we knew exactly who it was, I think the conversation is easier.”

There are other reasons to be skeptical. Like the Amazon “fulfilment” centre off Boundary Road, this site is not served by transit, forcing everyone into private vehicles, and for jobs likely paying near the minimum-wage line.

And what about drainage, a very-real country worry?

“One of my biggest concerns is how they’re going to distribute water, off site,” said Lyle Perkins, who owns the home building centre in the village and 200 farm acres across the road.

(Unlike absorbent soil, the hard surfaces of roofs and asphalt — especially acres of it — will create a significant amount of water run-off that didn’t exist before.)

A public meeting on the plan is scheduled for Thursday, from 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., at the Alfred Taylor Recreation Centre in North Gower. It should go before the city’s rural affairs committee in December.

Powell, for one, knows where he stands.

“I want to live here until they take me out in a pine box. It’s certainly put a lot of stress on us during our golden years.”

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896 or email kegan@postmedia.com.

Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...on-24-7-shifts

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Let's get the imagery up here...

Site:

Elevations:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs