HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
As an avid listener to CBC Music, allow me to fill you in:

So first off, it's commercial free. They tried commercials a few years ago but I think some other radio stations sued them and they were ordered to get rid of them.

8 to midnight is George Stromoloupolous' ego stroking crapfest. All he played last night for four hours was Joni Mitchell and I happen to think she's a terrible singer. No offensce.

So, aside from getting rid of George Stromoloupolos, how would you improve this?
Great summary of CBC Music (aka Radio 2 for the older generation).

I listened a lot to Radio 2 back in the late 80's/early 90's late at night on my way to and from meeting up with friends etc as I was living an hour away from many (the music kept me awake late at night). The days of Brave New Waves and Nightlines on late at night was great.

The Strombo show can be a bit tiresome but not as bad as the crapfest of Randy Bachmans' show on radio 1.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
This might be controversial, but I would love it if CBC English played a few of the most acclaimed and/or popular shows on CBC French with English subtitles (e.g., Tout le monde en parle). It doesn't have to be reciprocal (i.e., CBC French doesn't need to play CBC English shows). This would be more in the context of encouraging bilingualism in English Canada, but also helps fill air time with more quality programming.
In a variant of this, I've long thought that both the English and French networks should subtitle all of their programming in the other official language. This does not preclude either from doing what you suggest, of course.

Subtitling is pretty cheap and easy these days.

I am realistic enough to admit that there won't be massive amount of viewers tuning into to the other solitude's programming on a regular basis, but at least it would open things up to the possibility of some programs getting a "buzz" about them, as you often have with Netflix series these days.

So instead of "hey guys, you gotta watch this Norwegian series on Netflix, it's awesome", you might hear "hey guys, you gotta watch this awesome Quebec series on SRC..."

At the moment even if some bilingual person in Toronto is really into a Quebec program, there is no real way to share the discovery with their entourage if those people aren't bilingual.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'm not sure Tout le monde en parle is the best example for that since it's sort of a Quebec-centred public affairs show (though it would probably help non-Francophone Canadians understand Francophone Canadians better if they were to watch it), but I agree with the idea. In much of Europe, they air each other's shows with local language subtitles or dubbing, so I don't see why we can't do that here. It would probably even save CBC money, since they'd have to produce fewer shows.

The Europeans generally have a mix of homegrown and foreign programming. Yes, some of that foreign programming is from the "neighbours" but if we're being honest about 90-95% of the foreign programs are from the U.S., and maybe a bit from the UK.

In the Nordics they even sometimes show some U.S. late night talk shows and reality shows with subtitles in the national language. They don't show German, French or Dutch talk shows, I can assure you.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

The biggest downside though would be that some aspects of comedy and some cultural references will be lost in translation, and a lot of what already exists more likely than not has a lot of that kind of content in it. It can be resolved with creative writing but if it isn't done well, it can turn people off of a show too. A lot of CBC's English comedies make heavy use of puns that simply can't work in French.
Netflix recently put together a global comedy series that features stand-up comics from around the world. There are about 50 of them and it's gotten some media coverage here because a half-dozen or so of them are from Quebec. (A pretty high ratio if you ask me, considering our share of the world's population.)

A few days ago a Radio-Canada commentator was talking about this. He watched a whole bunch of them from all over the world. And he had a predictable comment - some comedy translates well, some doesn't. He didn't understand why topic X was so funny to Latin Americans, and wondered if topic Y, which Québécois found hilarious, would also generate laughs from Russians.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Netflix recently put together a global comedy series that features stand-up comics from around the world. There are about 50 of them and it's gotten some media coverage here because a half-dozen or so of them are from Quebec. (A pretty high ratio if you ask me, considering our share of the world's population.)

A few days ago a Radio-Canada commentator was talking about this. He watched a whole bunch of them from all over the world. And he had a predictable comment - some comedy translates well, some doesn't. He didn't understand why topic X was so funny to Latin Americans, and wondered if topic Y, which Québécois found hilarious, would also generate laughs from Russians.
I'm betting that you've watched Mike Ward. He does a lot of his routines in both French and English. He actually doesn't have to change a lot but there are certain things like celebrities and organizational names where they might not be known outside Quebec so he'll subsitute an equivalent.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:10 AM
I am a typical

The structure of the jokes is pretty much the same, but the specifics are the more important detail and if the listener isn't familiar with them, the joke gets lost.

It's not just other languages that cause this either, some subsets of queer comedy are hilarious to those of us in the community but basically unintelligible to those outside of it. They might laugh but you can tell it's only because they know they're supposed to, not because they want to.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:13 AM
video et taceo

The CBC is a good vehicle for getting Canadians to think as Canadians rather than as adjuncts to the dramas of our neighbour. This offends libertarian sensibilities, and I was once more sympathetic to those views, but Canada's history is different to that of the US and the import of US rhetorical norms – weird little things like 'taking the fifth' or whatever – distorts our own discussion.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:59 AM

The CBC changes I would like to see:

- Revert to the old National/Journal model for the flagship news show in English Canada.
- 22 minutes of hard news, followed by 38m for long-form interviews and documentaries.

- In conjuntion with the above, restore the award-winning documentary unit of CBC News

- Add back (for the first time) 10 new international news bureaus providing direct coverage of South Africa, Australia, Mexico, Germany, India and more.

- All news coverage should go commercial free

- CBC English, local news, should get 30 minutes of prime time each week (province-wide for smaller areas, with big cities getting their own show) to do deep-dig, long-form, commercial free stories on local matters.

CBC English entertainment should reduce the use of reruns; and devote one 2-hour slot year-round to 'best of the world' TV with a focus on non-US programming that otherwise might not a get an audience (it would also be cheap to pick-up).

Half of that programming could be English Language, from Australia/UK/NZ etc.

Half of that programming should be subtitled from SRC and around the world.

There should be a single 2-hour slot in prime time devoted to Canadian and non-US feature films. A 50/50 mix of best of Canada and the World.

At least 2 hours per week (2 different shows) should be relatively uncensored, and HBO-calibre Cancon.

Likewise for 2 hours, (4 shows) for comedy.

CBC should counter-program in Late-night and weekday afternoons mixing original, but different, with quality international content.

CBC should acquire BRAVO from Bell Media (or start its own) national arts channel, devoted to showcasing music, art, plays, musicals, great cinema, dance etc.

Original content would be limiting to filming pre-existing performances of others.

A budget of 50M per year should suffice.

All-in I would boost the budget for Eng. TV by 400M per year (with pro-rated investment to the SRC side)

CBC Radio should get a modest boost to 5 hours of original programming at night in news/current affairs; restore 'Dispatches' , add 5 hours of original programming to daytimes and support additional local stations.

- 100M per year total (1/2 of that supports expanded local service); pro-rated investment to the French side.

- Local stations added in 10 markets across the country, including, but not limited to Hamilton, and K-W in ON (radio) and adding TV in London and Kingston (owned and operated)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

CBC should acquire BRAVO from Bell Media (or start its own) national arts channel, devoted to showcasing music, art, plays, musicals, great cinema, dance etc.
Good suggestion.

The French CBC already has this. It's called ARTV and is a partnership with the French-German channel ARTE.

The programming is a mix of Canadian-produced stuff and stuff from ARTE/Europe.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
The CBC changes I would like to see:

- Revert to the old National/Journal model for the flagship news show in English Canada.
- 22 minutes of hard news, followed by 38m for long-form interviews and documentaries.

- In conjuntion with the above, restore the award-winning documentary unit of CBC News

- Add back (for the first time) 10 new international news bureaus providing direct coverage of South Africa, Australia, Mexico, Germany, India and more.

- All news coverage should go commercial free

- CBC English, local news, should get 30 minutes of prime time each week (province-wide for smaller areas, with big cities getting their own show) to do deep-dig, long-form, commercial free stories on local matters.

CBC English entertainment should reduce the use of reruns; and devote one 2-hour slot year-round to 'best of the world' TV with a focus on non-US programming that otherwise might not a get an audience (it would also be cheap to pick-up).

Half of that programming could be English Language, from Australia/UK/NZ etc.

Half of that programming should be subtitled from SRC and around the world.

There should be a single 2-hour slot in prime time devoted to Canadian and non-US feature films. A 50/50 mix of best of Canada and the World.

At least 2 hours per week (2 different shows) should be relatively uncensored, and HBO-calibre Cancon.

Likewise for 2 hours, (4 shows) for comedy.

CBC should counter-program in Late-night and weekday afternoons mixing original, but different, with quality international content.

Original content would be limiting to filming pre-existing performances of others.

A budget of 50M per year should suffice.

All-in I would boost the budget for Eng. TV by 400M per year (with pro-rated investment to the SRC side)

CBC Radio should get a modest boost to 5 hours of original programming at night in news/current affairs; restore 'Dispatches' , add 5 hours of original programming to daytimes and support additional local stations.

- 100M per year total (1/2 of that supports expanded local service); pro-rated investment to the French side.

- Local stations added in 10 markets across the country, including, but not limited to Hamilton, and K-W in ON (radio) and adding TV in London and Kingston (owned and operated)
Some great suggestions in your post. Back in the 80s, I loved the old National/Journal format. CBC was my go-to source for news.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Some great suggestions in your post. Back in the 80s, I loved the old National/Journal format. CBC was my go-to source for news.
Agree. I don't find the current format of the newscast very engaging.

(This is also true for the French 10 pm newscast which is quite different from The National, but still not as satisfying as the old Le Téléjournal/Le Point pairing that was basically the same as The National/The Journal.)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
agree. I don't find the current format of the newscast very engaging.

(this is also true for the french 10 pm newscast which is quite different from the national, but still not as satisfying as the old le téléjournal/le point pairing that was basically the same as the national/the journal.)
x2

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Why they so often insist on overhauling something that everyone seems perfectly satisfied with will always be a mystery to me.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Why they so often insist on overhauling something that everyone seems perfectly satisfied with will always be a mystery to me.
Has 60 minutes ever changed their format?

It seems that CBC is consistently chasing some unicorn demographic that will make them relevant to all Canadians. This latest incarnation is not working for me at all (not that the suits at CBC are on the edge of their seats worrying about my demographic). The old National/The Journal was a pretty straightforward and solid format and sometimes being solid instead of being trendy is the way to go.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Has 60 minutes ever changed their format?

It seems that CBC is consistently chasing some unicorn demographic that will make them relevant to all Canadians. This latest incarnation is not working for me at all (not that the suits at CBC are on the edge of their seats worrying about my demographic). The old National/The Journal was a pretty straightforward and solid format and sometimes being solid instead of being trendy is the way to go.
There's something to be said for timelessness.

Nothing ages more poorly than something trying to be 'trendy'. Trendy is fine if it's something that is of an era (music, movies, etc.) and has a defined finale, but an institution is something that should aim for a longer view.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:44 PM

Who`s stupid idea was it to change the National to 4 anchors anyway? I have never seen such a format and obviously with good reason, it doesn`t work. I have yet to meet ANYONE who likes the new format. I use to watch the National religiously every night and now I can`t stand it. It feels like a touchy-feely round table run by APTN.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:12 AM

Quote:
The CBC doesn't really have local news networks. It has a 6 pm newscast and an 11 pm newscast in a number of markets across the country, and that's it. And a lot of reasonably large markets don't even have local CBC TV news and some of them don't even have local CBC radio.

I'd also disagree that most places in Canada are very well served by private local news outlets.
I agree with Acajack. In English Canada, some of the very large markets are well served by the private broadcasters, but many other markets are very poorly served. Not counting CBC:

- Ottawa has only one English TV outlet, CTV’s CJOH. There’s no local Global or Citytv.

- New Brunswick does not have an English TV outlet based in that province

- Prince Edward Island does not have an English TV outlet based in that province

- Newfoundland and Labrador has only one English TV outlet, NTV

- Windsor has only one English TV outlet, CTV2 (CHWI)

Other markets don’t even have a local CBC outlet, and in some cases have only one local TV station:

- London - has only a CTV2 station with very little local programming to speak of

- Kitchener - has a CTV station, with at least a decent amount of local programming

- Kelowna - has a Global station (CHBC)

- Northern Ontario - has a single CTV station

Compared to comparable sized markets in the United States, many Canadian cities have very little local news programming available, with or without the CBC.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I agree with Acajack. In English Canada, some of the very large markets are well served by the private broadcasters, but many other markets are very poorly served. Not counting CBC:

- Ottawa has only one English TV outlet, CTV’s CJOH. There’s no local Global or Citytv.
CJOH news is fluff news and celebrity gossip a lot of the time. When I moved to Ottawa 20 + years ago Max Keeping was in his prime and I couldn't believe such a bad news broadcaster could be so popular.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 12:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

- New Brunswick does not have an English TV outlet based in that province

- Prince Edward Island does not have an English TV outlet based in that province

- Newfoundland and Labrador has only one English TV outlet, NTV

- Windsor has only one English TV outlet, CTV2 (CHWI)

Other markets don’t even have a local CBC outlet, and in some cases have only one local TV station:

- London - has only a CTV2 station with very little local programming to speak of

- Kitchener - has a CTV station, with at least a decent amount of local programming

- Kelowna - has a Global station (CHBC)

- Northern Ontario - has a single CTV station

Compared to comparable sized markets in the United States, many Canadian cities have very little local news programming available, with or without the CBC.
At first glance, many small market TV stations in the U.S. appear to be rinky dink outfits repeating network stuff from NYC and LA interspersed with informercials, but at the very least they almost all seem to have decent local news in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and late night, every day, in addition to local public affairs shows on weekend mornings. There are some pretty big Canadian cities that don't have that.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
CJOH news is fluff news and celebrity gossip a lot of the time. When I moved to Ottawa 20 + years ago Max Keeping was in his prime and I couldn't believe such a bad news broadcaster could be so popular.
They usually start with the hard news, but most days there isn’t much local news and it is hard to fill an hour.

I don’t think the CBC news is any better. They do more banal interviews to fill the hour. At least CTV stays on the air if there is a major story. CBC will show coronation street come hell or high water.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada