HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Apparently traffic is madness this morning. 417 backed up to Bayshore. People parking at CTC and walking to Tanger.
eek....I was planning to go tonight. A friend of mine owns a store there and is having an open night drinks and snacks event for family and friends.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
This was announced a week ago in case you missed it:

http://ottawa.ca/en/news/new-oc-tran...tanger-outlets

But yes, the parking does seem a tad on the small side.
From twitter....
‏@OCTranspoAlerts 6m6 minutes ago
96A is not serving Tanger Outlet due to congestion. Buses diverting via Huntmar, Cyclone Taylor, according to #OCTranspo.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:21 PM

Wow! Why the rush? Those stores will still be there tomorrow, next week, next year.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Apparently traffic is madness this morning. 417 backed up to Bayshore. People parking at CTC and walking to Tanger.
I work in the neighbourhood and went out for lunch without reading this forum first... Huge congestion everywhere... 417, Terry Fox, and lots of the side streets. At many intersections it takes several light cycles to get through... and the 417 was a parking lot as far as I could see...

Crazy... why do people do this to themselves

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:56 PM

Eek. I'm taking a road trip to Kingston this weekend and have to pick up a friend in Bridlewood on the way. I think I'll skip the highway and take Richmond instead!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Is it just me or does that parking lot look rather small relative to size of the building given the lack of access via other modes of transport?
There's another parking area yet to come, across the creek to the south of the mall. See the siteplan here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...03&postcount=3

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:18 PM

I LOVE the fact that the outlets are all in the middle and the parking is around. Will ensure people park their cars and walk around the shops and stuff, makes the area more "cozy" and buzzing with people.. Unlike trainyards where the shops are on the outskirts and parking is in the middle so it looks like a desert wasteland and people drive store to store.

Hopefully they will have good transit service and more entertainment options and residential can be built around it so it doesn't look so out of place. I'm thinking mid rises would fit well around there with nice landscaping...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Crazy... why do people do this to themselves
Exactly my thoughts.

I was planning on checking it out this weekend, but judging by whats going on, I think I will pass and wait until the opening pandemonium subsides, like maybe some time next week on a non-Sens game night?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:51 PM

This is always been my thoughts on these openings.

It is opening...not closing... it will be available going forward.

The city has issued a traffic warning for tomorrow as the Sens also have a home game...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
There's another parking area yet to come, across the creek to the south of the mall. See the siteplan here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...03&postcount=3
Interesting..although there is also stores over there too so it might not be a net increase on a per square foot basis....

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
The city has issued a traffic warning for tomorrow as the Sens also have a home game...
And of course 417 is oh so close to being 8 lanes... but for now is still a 4 lane, cone filled maze.

They couldn't bring it upon themselves to coordinate all these things together

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
And of course 417 is oh so close to being 8 lanes... but for now is still a 4 lane, cone filled maze.

You would think, but we all know that common sense doesn't really exist in Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:54 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:

Who's "they"?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Who's "they"?
The various stakeholders (City, Province, Sens, Tanger, 417 contractors).... oh... ok... get your point

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:41 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

LOL. Although I certainly hope that "they" at least tried to coordinate all of this.

I'm all about getting stuff done efficiently and with minimal red tape, but when dealing with multiple stakeholders like this (especially government(s)), sometimes it really is easier said than done.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:48 PM

I went to the opening today. I'm not sure how long I was driving around the parking lot but it felt like close to an hour. Finally parked at CTC. The signs for overflow parking weren't visible until you drove around the lot for 45 minutes. Waste of time. It was worth the headache in my opinion. The worst thing about the whole development is the food court only has three options. Subway, Teriyaki and Sbarro (which I thought was going bankrupt in the U.S.).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 9:50 PM
Awesome!

Tommorrow might be even worse since it will be a Saturday and there is a Sens Game to boot as well. They should have waited till the construction on the 417 ends and the City should have at least had the intelligence to extend all 96's to CTC before it opened (and then perhaps the 160's, 164's and 168's afterwards).

Meanwhile this is another reason to Fast-foward BRT or LRT to Kanata.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Meanwhile this is another reason to Fast-foward BRT or LRT to Kanata.
I think the closest Transitway station will be on the south side of the highway
There will be one between Huntmar and the Carp River south of Campeau not that much further away tho. (edit: Although will really depend on the timing and final design of the pedestrian network)

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I went to the opening today. I'm not sure how long I was driving around the parking lot but it felt like close to an hour. Finally parked at CTC. The signs for overflow parking weren't visible until you drove around the lot for 45 minutes. Waste of time. It was worth the headache in my opinion. The worst thing about the whole development is the food court only has three options. Subway, Teriyaki and Sbarro (which I thought was going bankrupt in the U.S.).
How was the price, compared to the US Outlets?

We are planning to hit Destiny USA for Black Friday this year (our 1st) so I may not buy a whole lot here but wouldn't mind checking it out once the hype and traffic die down a bit.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tanger Outlets Ottawa a hit despite open-day jitters

Janet Wilson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 17, 2014, Last Updated: October 17, 2014 7:28 PM EDT

Build it and they will come — and they did by the thousands.

Despite extreme traffic woes and overflowing washrooms, shoppers galore of every age — many of whom admitted to taking the day off work — came out Friday to get the first glimpse of Tanger Outlets in Kanata.

The city warned Ottawans of further “significant delays” in traffic for the area this weekend. Those heading to Saturday night’s hockey game at Canadian Tire Centre are being urged to take public transit, if possible.

“We heard the highway was really backed up,” chuckled Steve Tanger, president and CEO of Tanger, which is headquartered in North Carolina. “We’re sorry but pleased that Ottawa is coming to visit us.”

The opening of the mall, a 75-store complex featuring such designer brands as Coach, Michael Kors, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein, Under Armour, J.Crew Factory, Eddie Bauer and Guess, was not without its growing pains.

The westbound Queensway was backed up mid-morning for several hours with some shoppers from Orléans saying the commute was more than two hours. When the parking lot was full, traffic was re-routed to Canadian Tire Centre, where people hopped on shuttle buses or opted to walk. Overflowing toilets in one of the designated washroom areas caused a few nearby stores to close their doors temporarily due to foul odours and a seepage of sewage.

Sales staff stood outside the Ottawa Senators outlet store while maintenance workers attempted to repair the leak. They later tweeted that the store was open once again for business.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson wasn’t impressed to be tied up in highway traffic while rushing to Friday’s opening ceremonies. He called the experience a frustrating one and added that his office had reached out to provincial Transport Minister Steven Del Duca to inquire about ongoing construction on the Queensway.

“I’ve gone by Highway 417 a dozen times in the last month and I rarely see any work being done, yet that one lane is being blocked off,” Watson said. “I’m frustrated by it. I just want to find out directly from the minister why this project seems to be taking so long.”

“Yes, we are experiencing some small growing pains,” admitted Eric Topolnisky, general manager of RioCan Management and Tanger Outlets Ottawa. “We’re still getting things up and running but we’re more than pleased with the turnout and volume of people walking around with shopping bags.”

Jennifer Fornelli, an avid outlet shopper who takes regular trips south of the border in search of bargains with her mother, Donna, shrugged off the long wait to get into the mall.

“It’s opening day; we’re typical Canadians: We line up to see what’s inside without complaining. A lot of the stores were experiencing technical difficulties with debit machine problems, too. But it’s great to see these stores in Ottawa.”

Well-dressed teenagers, moms pushing baby strollers and seniors walked around the pedestrian-friendly complex, which also featured relaxation areas with bright red wooden chairs and outdoor fireplaces and a small food court.

The opening festivities for the 293,000-square-foot centre were to include fireworks Friday and a skating performance by Canadian Olympic medallists Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir at noon Saturday at a temporary artificial ice rink set up in the parking lot next to a climbing wall and several food trucks.

During the official ribbon-cutting ceremony, a $20,000 donation was made to the Ottawa Senators Foundation on behalf of Tanger and RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...en-day-jitters

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs