HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Does anyone know if the Freiman's facade still exists underneath the orange/brown siding on the George St side?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Does anyone know if the Freiman's facade still exists underneath the orange/brown siding on the George St side?
As far as I know, the façade along Mosegrove (now within the Freiman Mall) was completely removed. Part of it was remounted with the Freiman Mall atrium by HBC as a token gesture.

It would have been far cooler if the old façade was preserved and fully exposed within the atrium.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:32 PM
Busy Beaver

I think the George street facade is intact, I remember them just pitting metal struts to hang those brown panels on.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I think the George street facade is intact, I remember them just pitting metal struts to hang those brown panels on.
Glad to hear - if they were to restore that facade at some point, it would do wonders for that stretch of George St and the market in general. Based on the struggles of HBC lately though I can't see this being a priority for them.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 8:32 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking about George Street. I guess I was focused on the image that shows the corner of Rideau and Mosegrove.

As Kitchissippi confirmed, the George façade and windows are probably still behind there. Note though that it's not as ornate as the Rideau face. Just plain brick*, but still far better than the orange panels.

*Based on an old photograph I've seen, but cannot find currently. I did not witness the Freiman days.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:29 PM

Nicholas Spark's house (1829-1954). The West Memorial Building now stands on this lot.

https://twitter.com/CapHistOttawa/st...70656790589441

http://www.capitalmodern.ca/modern/w...ial-buildings/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 6:52 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:28 PM

What happened to the church there? Seems the building adjacent still exists today. But the site seems to now be home to an apartment building.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
What happened to the church there? Seems the building adjacent still exists today. But the site seems to now be home to an apartment building.
The church burned down in the 70s. Even after the fire, the church could have been saved as the structure was sound, but due to declining attendance (due to nearby Federal expropriations and general decline of religious following), it was decided the church would be demolished.

The Four Points Sheraton now occupies the site, including the former clergy's residence.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 7:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The church burned down in the 70s. Even after the fire, the church could have been saved as the structure was sound, but due to declining attendance (due to nearby Federal expropriations and general decline of religious following), it was decided the church would be demolished.

The Four Points Sheraton now occupies the site, including the former clergy's residence.
Fortunately the former Académie Sainte-Marie all-girls' school on Champlain, just up and left of the big church in the old photo, is still there and has been quite nicely restored.

It towers over Boul. Maisonneuve on your right just after the Portage pseudo-tunnel as you're coming across from Ottawa.

https://www.patrimoine-culturel.gouv....JPG?id=280604

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 6:10 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Glad to hear - if they were to restore that facade at some point, it would do wonders for that stretch of George St and the market in general. Based on the struggles of HBC lately though I can't see this being a priority for them.

Nicely done. Yes, that would look a lot better. Maybe it would keep the people with racoons in their jackets out of the area as well.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 8:40 AM

“Let’s put faeces coloured panels on our historic department store”

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:57 PM

From Lost Ottawa Facebook page.

Ottawa, circa 1900.

1970s.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:27 PM

A Capital Plan showing Ottawa in the late 40s and presenting the Gréber Plan. Based on this, it did seem that the Gréber plan envisioned 15 minute communities, albeit connected together by highways.

Video Link

Were the tracks where the Queensway now is elevated? If so, did they use those foundations or demolish and rebuild?

Also, looking at car and streetcar traffic, I'm surprised they didn't push transit underground, with an out of sight out of mind mentality as opposed to improving transit.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
A Capital Plan showing Ottawa in the late 40s and presenting the Gréber Plan. Based on this, it did seem that the Gréber plan envisioned 15 minute communities, albeit connected together by highways.

Video Link

Were the tracks where the Queensway now is elevated? If so, did they use those foundations or demolish and rebuild?

Also, looking at car and streetcar traffic, I'm surprised they didn't push transit underground, with an out of sight out of mind mentality as opposed to improving transit.
No, the tracks were mostly at grade. For example, there were grade crossings at Main Street, Colonel By Drive and Bronson Avenue and there was a swing bridge across the Rideau Canal. There were subways for Bank Street and Elgin Street, so both could go under the tracks and there was a bridge at Bell Street to allow streetcars to cross. There were some embankments and cuts, the former at Elgin and Bank Streets and the latter at Bell Street.

As we saw in the video, the Greber Plan saw the future of the automobile and viewed railways as a thing of the past. So, a subway was not going to be considered as a replacement to streetcars. It is amazing how almost all cross-town traffic passed through Confederation Square at that time. There was no significant alternate route and the film also shows how close the countryside was to downtown. Just beyond the bend in the Rideau Canal.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
No, the tracks were mostly at grade. For example, there were grade crossings at Main Street, Colonel By Drive and Bronson Avenue and there was a swing bridge across the Rideau Canal. There were subways for Bank Street and Elgin Street, so both could go under the tracks and there was a bridge at Bell Street to allow streetcars to cross. There were some embankments and cuts, the former at Elgin and Bank Streets and the latter at Bell Street.
That's interesting. I had always just assumed that the tracks were elevated like the Queensway, given the way development happened around them. Although I do know that there was some sort of rail yard just east of Bronson at one point, so it makes sense that was at grade.

I'm struggling to picture how the Bank and Elgin St. cuts would have fit - the ramps must have extended a considerable distance north and south of the tracks?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:01 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I'm struggling to picture how the Bank and Elgin St. cuts would have fit - the ramps must have extended a considerable distance north and south of the tracks?

Back in 1906, we actually had a "Bank Street Subway"

Elgin Subway:

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:19 PM

My grandfather's former neighbour did traffic control on Colonel By/Echo Drive for the railway crossing. Raised and lowered the crossing barriers.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post

As we saw in the video, the Greber Plan saw the future of the automobile and viewed railways as a thing of the past. So, a subway was not going to be considered as a replacement to streetcars. It is amazing how almost all cross-town traffic passed through Confederation Square at that time. There was no significant alternate route and the film also shows how close the countryside was to downtown. Just beyond the bend in the Rideau Canal.
Thanks for the info!

We were very lucky in Ottawa that highway expansions weren't nearly as disruptive or distroctructive as other cities. It could have been far worse if all plans had been implemented.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Back in 1906, we actually had a "Bank Street Subway"
Thanks, those are great pictures! Elgin looks like it may have been nicer back then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos