HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post
By the way, I just watched the UEFA Cup.

Not a massive soccer fan but my mates are so I get caught up in it.

Canada will get 10 Group Stage games..

I cannot for the life of me remember where any of the Group Stage games were played.

Can you?

Do you think that anyone in 2026 is going to?

"Ahhh that memorable 6-1 drubbing of Sierra Leone by Slovenia in Edmonton!"

Not picking on Edmonton but nobody cares.
This is why I don't understand the negativity of Edmonton hosting some games. Hell, let them host all of the games. Nobody outside of Canada will notice or care what city they are in.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 10:02 PM

what is the point for Canada hosting any games at all? I see that it will be good for the growth of the game domestically, but other than that, what is the point?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:24 AM
Community Guy

Exposure, awareness, economic benefit, etc. etc.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 2:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Whoa, Vancouver instead of Edmonton? That would be perfect.
Vancouver AND Edmonton would be almost perfect.
Fully perfect would include Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 10:39 PM
Community Guy

How Edmonton’s sporting heritage supports the city’s Fifa World Cup bid

https://www.sportbusiness.com/2021/0...6ce4-394663028

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:40 PM

Vancouver is being considered again as a host city

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

Good to see in some ways but I worry this will hurt our chances here in Edmonton as Vancouver would be a nice regional draw from mid-prairies west.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 6:55 PM

Anyone able to hook me up with the pre-sale code for the Panama game in October!?!? I really want to secure some tickets so I can book my flight

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Vancouver is being considered again as a host city
Doesn't look like it. Also looks like the rumoured Edmonton November qualifiers will be a dress rehearsal for FIFA inspectors.

FIFA scrutineers complete first round of World Cup 2026 bid city inspections
Samindra Kunti insideworldfootball.com September 24 2021

September 24 – FIFA has completed its first round of visits to 2026 World Cup host city candidates, with inspections of Boston, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Washington DC, Baltimore, New York/New Jersey, Philadelphia and Miami.

FIFA vice-president and Concacaf president Victor Montagliani led the world federation’s delegation. In a statement FIFA said that “during every visit, the FIFA delegation held meetings with a variety of stakeholders, including city and stadium authorities, as well as football clubs and other sports organisations, while covering key topics like venue management, infrastructure, sustainability and commercial, legal and legacy matters.”

The 2026 World Cup will be the first global finals in an expanded 48-team format, with the tournament expected to be hosted across sixteen venues.

The remaining eight US bidding cities and the three in Mexico and two in Canada will be visited by the end of November.

The host venue bidding has become increasingly intense with 17 US cities vying for what had initially believed to be 10 city slots in the US. It had been generally accepted that three venues in Canada and three in Mexico would round out the required 16 host cities for the expanded 48-team World Cup in 2026.

That arithmetic became complicated with the pull out of Montreal in Canada from the host bidding, leaving just Edmonton and Toronto bidding. There was a rumour that Vancouver would be a late entrant to the bidding but that hasn’t happened.

Behind the scenes US cities had lobbied for an increase in the number of US host venues to fill the perceived gap left by Montreal’s pull out. However, the actual location of matches is based on the number of games to be played in each country rather than the number of host cities.

World Cup 2026 will have 80 matches. The agreement for the hosting is for 60 of those games to be played in the US with 10 each in Mexico and Canada.

Montagliani said: “The FIFA World Cup 2026 will be an absolute milestone in football history and all the cities we have visited are fully aware of it. We would like to thank them all for their tremendous work, commitment and passion as they would not only like to offer an amazing event for the whole world but also leave a fond legacy far beyond 2026.”

The global health crisis delayed FIFA’s original timeline for selection and inspections of the remaining US bidding venues, as well as those in Canada and Mexico, will be completed by the end of November with the global governing body expected to pick the host cities in the first half of 2022.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 10:21 AM

Either way I can't wait to see how the World Cup performs here in our backyard

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:46 PM

Vancouver are back in the running for being a host city

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:00 PM

Can't imagine this news is being celebrated in Edmonton....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 9:16 PM

Oof that is tough for Edmonton to swallow. I mean the update makes it seem like FIFA is quite keen on selecting Vancouver. https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/men...t-city-process

I'm probably biased but I can't see, short of severe budgeting disagreements, the selection not being obviously Vancouver-Toronto for the two cities.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:11 PM

Originally, FIFA was going to pick 3 cities/stadiums in Canada. Is that not still the case?

If so, then Edmonton would just have to settle for 3 games (out of the 10 slotted for Canada) instead of 5 if Toronto was the only other interested city.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:12 PM

It seems to be getting lost that the original plan was for three cities to be hosts. Where we run into difficulty is the amount of game s each will host

Edit: just seen the post above and am in agreement

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
It seems to be getting lost that the original plan was for three cities to be hosts. Where we run into difficulty is the amount of game s each will host

The Alberta government made it a condition of funding Edmonton's candidacy that it would host 5 matches. I would expect the other cities have thresholds for a minimum number of matches.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:15 PM

I think there are a lot of conflicting things being said that are being taken literally before anything concrete has been decided.

City Councillor, Federal Tourism Minister Weigh in on Edmonton’s World Cup hopes
Federal tourism minister: "I look forward to working with all orders of government to promote Edmonton as a host city"
Steven Sandor edifyedmonton.com April 13, 2022

Does that mean Alberta has to host five games? Cartmell doesn’t think so.

“We’ve got to move the needle,” says Cartmell. “I can see the province saying that we can’t have just a couple of games that aren’t going to be on the international radar. Whether we get three, four or five games, they have to be significant to our goals, which is to promote trade, economic development and tourism.”

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 3:12 AM

Wasn't Edmonton's funding also reliant on it getting a quarterfinal game, which FIFA already has said will only be played in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

If Canada gets ten games, I see Toronto and Edmonton getting three and Vancouver getting four. Vancouver's got the nicest stadium, the greatest international appeal, and hosted the Women's World Cup Final. They're clearly the golden child.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 3:43 AM

Will Vancouver be installing grass?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Will Vancouver be installing grass?
If they get chosen, yes, it is a requirement for all men's WC stadiums/stadia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada