HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:57 PM

Dyed hair? unthinkable!

You guys are bigger curmudgeons than the folks at the Heritage Trust.

The show was great! A shame they couldn't secure another outdoor location. We saw the line and almost left but we arrived early enough that we were eventually squeezed in, though our vantage point was behind a very large speaker.

(self-made image)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:32 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Setting up housekeeping in the middle of the city's public center is hardly that.
I don't think protest should always be convenient, sanctioned, approved, in appropriate areas, and short in duration. That would kind of undermine the point.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:40 AM
You talkin' to me?

Wow, you guys are harsh. What does it matter what a person chooses to do with their looks anyway? It doesn't nessisarly say anything about who they are.

The Occupy protestors have a right to protest and so far its been very peaceful. Also, they havn't denied the public the space at all. People appear to be walking through it like any other day infact.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
All bums IMO!
We definitely are, all bums.

My student loan debt tells me so.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:50 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yet another sign of the decline of western civilization. Tattoos are disgusting and will hopefully drop from prominence as quickly as they rose. I would hire nobody with an intentionally disfigured face or exposed body part.
Wow? lol really? ... jeesh... I won't (actually, I don't-) really want to be getting into it here, but I must state a couple facts about myself personally lol.. (if you or anyone else wants to get into some sort of argument, lets keep it to inbox messages) I don't know who's on the side of the declining western civilization here.. you or me... I mean, we're all working to be a more accepting culture as a whole, are we not? I have a couple of exposed tattoos and piercings, usually always an "odd" colour in my hair and wear baggy black clothing with chains, straps and an assortment of other random stuff hanging off of them; clothing which most definitely gets me "odd looks." (clothing like that- when bought new, by the way is rather pricy)

I have 2 jobs- and not because I need the 2 to make ends meet, but because I can. One is my "regular" job and the other is my self run photography business I do because that's what I went to school for. So I suppose I'm kind of like a "wierd" version of batman or something when it comes to my employment. I've got no debt from school now (WHOOOOO ) I've got no personal debts either, I've got several trips lined up in the nearing months (Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto and debating now on looking at getting into the rollercoaster of paperwork to go to Chernobyl and Pripyat in Ukraine)

So.. kinda getting myself back on topic here.. I think what the occupy folks stand for is good idealistically, however the way they are going about attempting to do something is just silly, but this is democracy, and they can do as they wish, as can I. Friday past I was actually over at grand parade taking photos, I wandered around a bit though I spent most of my time chatting with the police that were there just kind of keeping an eye on things, they looked at me and assumed I was with occupy just based on how I looked, I basically told them exactly what I just said above to their reaction, much like "well, damn.." So you shouldn't always go basing ideas and judging a group as a whole on how they look, as you may, and more than likely will- be surprised.

jus' sayin' lol

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
opinionated so and so

Ah KeithP, born 50 years too late for your world view.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I can't choose a side here. I'm staying very neutral as I can see it from both sides. Yes most of the people protesting are in the younger age group and may not dress as the "business type". Neither have I at times and I work for a successful maritime company. Everyone I have seen interviewed appears to be very articulate and is certain of their own reason for being there. I hate corporate greed as well, but that brings me to the other side. How are they able to set up camps and appear not to be working in anyway to pay their bills? Yes, there might be vacations and time off but most have stated they are ready to stay through the winter if needed. That's a lot of vacation. Maybe a job fair company should set up a both at Parade Square and try to help some of these folks out. That way the people like me that do have jobs aren't paying the increasing tax rates for others to collect.

One final thing I wanted to say is: Who's fault is it? Is it the employers refusing to hire because of piercings, tattoos and baggy clothes? Or, is it the youth's fault for not trying to look more professional and accept the fact that having a job sometimes means looking like the rest of us?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:34 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
So.. kinda getting myself back on topic here.. I think what the occupy folks stand for is good idealistically, however the way they are going about attempting to do something is just silly, but this is democracy, and they can do as they wish, as can I. Friday past I was actually over at grand parade taking photos, I wandered around a bit though I spent most of my time chatting with the police that were there just kind of keeping an eye on things, they looked at me and assumed I was with occupy just based on how I looked, I basically told them exactly what I just said above to their reaction, much like "well, damn.." So you shouldn't always go basing ideas and judging a group as a whole on how they look, as you may, and more than likely will- be surprised.

jus' sayin' lol
I very much agree. In an idealistic sense, these protestors have some valid points (it is not as if capitalism is an idyllic perfect concept that can be absolved of any negative impacts on the world), and on the other hand I personally think their world view is overly naive and unrealistic. I also don't think that these particular local protests are in the big picture going to be all that effective, although I very much appreciate that they have been peaceful.

Having said all that, I will absolutely 100% defend their right to protest, to dress how they like, and to hold whatever opinions they like. In fact, the more we disagree with someones perspective, the more mindful we should be of their right to express that view. It is easy to say that people who share your opinion are in the right... not so easy to maintain that view when you disagree with them.

I always find it interesting that it is often the most conservative flag waving "God-bless freedom" folk who seem to be the first to want to shut down freedom of speech, to tell others how to dress etc. Freedom is freedom, and even more so when someone is protesting something you disagree with (afterall, that's the fundamental point of having protections of various "freedoms").

Everyone on here has pretty darn strong opinions on various topics, and are often constantly railing against the old Heritage Trust type "establishment" as being out of touch etc... we should therefore be the first to say that others have the right to hold and express opinions however the hell they want. Glass houses and all...?!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't like tattoos or piercings much but it is hard for me to get upset over what is, at the end of the day, just fashion. You have to wonder about strong opinions that oscillate back and forth every few years.

I agree that a "right to protest as long as you don't bother anybody" is basically worthless. Protest is only useful to the extent that it puts pressure on authority and informs people who would not otherwise know about the related issues. Protest is the only mechanism some people have if they want to have an impact on the government and similar organizations.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I can't choose a side here. I'm staying very neutral as I can see it from both sides. (...) How are they able to set up camps and appear not to be working in anyway to pay their bills? Yes, there might be vacations and time off but most have stated they are ready to stay through the winter if needed. That's a lot of vacation. Maybe a job fair company should set up a both at Parade Square and try to help some of these folks out. That way the people like me that do have jobs aren't paying the increasing tax rates for others to collect.
This protest isn't just about jobs and the increase of tax revenue--it is about what is done with that revenue.

Is it really that difficult for anyone (especially the rich) to see that existing economic policies benefit the few, the rich?

There are many issues we may discuss with regards to these wicked policies: burden of debt, stagnation of middle class salaries, rising prices of everything, environmentally degrading industrial activity, etc.

A protest is not time-off for a vacation. And please stop viewing this as optional for these poor people. The protestors cannot afford to hire lobbyists to court the government as corporations and special interests groups can. Protesting is the only outlet.

Quote:
One final thing I wanted to say is: Who's fault is it? Is it the employers refusing to hire because of piercings, tattoos and baggy clothes? Or, is it the youth's fault for not trying to look more professional and accept the fact that having a job sometimes means looking like the rest of us?
Poor people tend to look poor.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:06 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

Tattoos and the like are hardly cheap. It doesn't have anything to do with being poor, it has to do with freedom of choice. If I choose to have some tattoos, piercings, dye my hair, whatever... I shouldn't be looked down upon as some lower form of society. Some people really have to toss the parochial views out the window and be more accepting of others.

Besides, if everybody looked and dressed the same, it would be a pretty damn boring and bland world.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:18 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:

That's not always true. Even people who have money (I'm not thanks to student loans) can look poor depending on what they are doing. I bet me and my girl friend looked terrible the other night at the Bedford Sobeys. We were dressed for the Haunted Hollow walk in Hammonds Plains and had mud all over our jeans and old hoodies on.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:23 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Besides, if everybody looked and dressed the same, it would be a pretty damn boring and bland world.
In the business world that stands true. A sea of suits wherever you look. I remember the day I saw a guy in a nice suit with blue hair. It was a good day. Hopefully someday we will have a mix of both.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:40 PM

On a less controversial note, the Pop Explosion was amazing! I haven't been able to attend the last few years because I was away. This year was a fantastic reintroduction. Kudos to Waye and all the other organizers, volunteers and bands. Stars playing "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" was a memorable highlight. Amy Millan and Torquil Campbell = magic.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's not always true. Even people who have money (I'm not thanks to student loans) can look poor depending on what they are doing. I bet me and my girl friend looked terrible the other night at the Bedford Sobeys. We were dressed for the Haunted Hollow walk in Hammonds Plains and had mud all over our jeans and old hoodies on.
...Sure. But I was being rhetorical. We shouldn't be talking about attire when we should we talking about the poverty of the middle-class, who essentially are the working poor.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Tattoos and the like are hardly cheap. It doesn't have anything to do with being poor, it has to do with freedom of choice. If I choose to have some tattoos, piercings, dye my hair, whatever... I shouldn't be looked down upon as some lower form of society. Some people really have to toss the parochial views out the window and be more accepting of others.

I agree. Let's talk about the issues being protested.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 12:04 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Halifax mayor tells Occupy protesters to leave

Here it is from cbc.ca

The mayor of Halifax says it's almost time for the Occupy Halifax demonstrators to leave, giving them a little more than a week to vacate the public square they've camped in since Oct. 15.

Peter Kelly said the city needs to clean up the Grand Parade to prepare it for a Dignity Day Ceremony by the Atlantic Jewish Council on Nov. 9 and a Remembrance Day event on Nov. 11.

About a dozen people have camped out in Halifax's Grand Parade since Oct. 15.
Kelly is asking protesters to leave by 5 p.m. on Nov. 6.

The mayor also said the city has "respected the protesters' right to peaceful assembly, they have made their issues known, and now it is time for them to return the Grand Parade to the people of the Halifax Regional Municipality."

However, the dozens of protesters who have camped in the central square say they are surprised by the directive, adding they've been well-behaved.

"It would be nice if they took the time to try to come down here and figure out a way for everything to exist at once," said demonstrator James Wiseman. "It’s a Remembrance Day celebration for the soliders who fight for our rights for a free and democratic society, that’s exactly why we’re here."

The release from the mayor did not, however, mention any consequences should the Occupy Halifax protesters stay past the deadline.

Kelly also said he was open to finding an alternate venue for the demonsrators.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
We definitely are, all bums.

My student loan debt tells me so.
I feel for the people fighting student loan debt, my girlfriend/fiance also is in the same boat, and that wasn't my point exactly. I agree in principle what they are protesting , yes too much wealth , controlled by too few , and we all struggle 9-5 jobs to get by(barely) , it is enough to make you sick when you realize the wealth some people have . but I'd bet 90% of those protesters do not have student debt or a job at all and like I said, just cause a person has an education does not mean they aren't too lazy to make use of it later in life....... now that is not meant to apply to all people with student loan debt, they wanna tax the shit out of corporate business to support more people who can't support themselves...... Well if we do that none of us will have jobs at all when these companies fold or go elsewhere, not to mention if you pay a WALMART cashier 30$/hr, then the prices there go up, and so do all costs, and wages rise and create inflation then that 30$ is useless because shit is so expensive, 30$ is like 5$ ...... Endless cycle , so I say these people occupy a job bank or a job then complain!

but in your defence RyeJay there are those 10% who have a huge student loan burden, while our goverment does nothing to help these people trying to better themselves and these people have a right to be upset.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:03 AM

A sort of irony to kicking the protesters out to accommodate Remembrance Day. The whole freedom and democracy is what our vets went out to fight for thing... Of course there is the simple practical element of Remembrance Day always draws at least 1,000 or so and they really can't squeeze in there between tents. It'll be interesting to see if the protest fades out or whether they just move to another location or reappear after Nov 11.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:29 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Tough to say what will happen here in a few weeks. Tonight in Oakland California things are heating up as the police are now making a strong presence.

Also tonight on Pierce Morgan Live was Michael Moore. Moore fan or not I encourage everyone to watch the interview online. Subject matter was of course the protests and corporate greed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment