HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:03 AM

A view from the bus.

"Original Slide Los Angeles Chautauqua Blvd to CA-1 Pacific Coast Hwy 1959"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sli...oAAOSwjKFZTLym

I have fond memories of this strange little area. As I've mentioned before, my good friend lived on Hillside Lane off Rustic road. We'd park at her house and walk down Chautauqua to the beach.

little has change

I've been trying to read the sign in the distance on the left (below red arrow)

detail

And what's in the front yard of that house? It looks like the beginnings of a tee-pee.

The house is still there with moderate changes.

gsv

And here's a closer look at the buildings on the right.

detail

And today

gsv

I know the buildings have appeared in the background of a film noir but I can't recall which movie. (I'll try to find it)
_

update:

The movie was 'In A Lonely Place' (1950)

This is the building on the corner. You'll recognize it in the 1959 detail.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2017 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:24 AM

1920s(?) fashion attire at the beach, Los Angeles Cal. (Venice?)

Mary Hockenbery family pics/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/reddirtrose

I realize she's using the hat as shade, but wearing black makes you hotter.
_

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:12 AM

"Orig 1960's Old Defunct Los Angeles Hotel Street Scene 35mm negatives Lot" (Hotel Pacific / Hotel Atlantic)

ebay

ebay

ebay

This is the south side of the Plaza Church (in the distance is the school atop Fort Moore Hill)

The separate building with the arches is no longer there.

current view

gsv

The Pioneer Memorial is in the distance.

The women in neg.#4 are looking at this shrine of the Holy Mother.

ebay

Last and least

All from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-1960s-O...AAAOSw3YJZSs9I

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. Koehler View Post
The Wian family (Old Glendale family, Bob Wian was a Mayor of Glendale in the 1950's I think) sold the chain to Mariott, who franchised the Big Boy name all over the country.

Paul C. Koehler
Wian himself started franchising Big Boy in the late 1940s, long before the business was sold to Marriott in 1967. The chain has a rather complicated history, with dozens of names in place of Bob, all of which are gone now except for Frisch's, the original 1940s franchisee.

The US chain is now two different companies. 1950s franchisee Elias Brothers purchased Bob Wian's company from Marriott in 1987. By this time most of the other-named Big Boy franchises were already gone - closed, merged with other Big Boy chains, or just no longer affiliated with Big Boy. Elias Brothers dropped their own name as well and just went with 'Big Boy'. They declared bankruptcy in 2000 and were purchased by investor Robert Liggett. Afterward, Liggett made a deal with remaining major franchisee Frisch's, trading some territory and splitting the 'Big Boy' trademark between them. Frisch's Big Boy has 80-some stores and territory in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and most of Ohio. Liggett's company, now called Big Boy Restaurants Int'l, owns the trademark for the rest of the country but is also down to 80-some stores, mostly former Elias Brothers locations in Michigan and northern Ohio, plus one lonely drive-through-only store in North Dakota (formerly McDowell's Big Boy), and 5 remaining Bob's Big Boy in SoCal.

Bizarrely, both chains together are now dwarfed by Big Boy Japan which is apparently a separate company formed in 1977 to use the name over there. They have 279 stores with the Big Boy name and the mascot, but amusingly, do not carry the namesake Big Boy double-decker hamburger.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I realize she's using the hat as shade, but wearing black makes you hotter.
Although that's still a popular opinion, it has been proved wrong (at least for certain outfits). The following is taken from an article called Why do Bedouins wear black in the desert?, and is based on a 1980 experiment:
Taylor, Finch, Shkolnik, and Borut measured the overall heat gain and loss suffered by a brave volunteer. They described the volunteer as "a man standing facing the sun in the desert at midday while he wore: 1) a black Bedouin robe; 2) a similar robe that was white; 3) a tan army uniform; and 4) shorts (that is, he was semi‑nude)".

The results were clear. As the report puts it: "The amount of heat gained by a Bedouin exposed to the hot desert is the same whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe was lost before it reached the skin."

Bedouins' robes, the scientists noted, are worn loose. Inside, the cooling happens by convection – either through a bellows action, as the robes flow in the wind, or by a chimney sort of effect, as air rises between robe and skin. Thus it was conclusively demonstrated that, at least for Bedouin robes, black is as cool as any other colour.
(Bolding by me)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I tried to locate the Ross-Loos Clinic this afternoon but failed.
It should be in a town which starts with "A". If in Los Angeles it would be LAPD. It would have to be a separately incorporated town to have its own police force. That would mean it would be in Alhambra, Arcadia, Artesia or Azusa, if it is in Los Angeles County. (the other two would be Agoura Hills, not incorporated then, or Avalon (on Catalina and unlikely)

I don't have time today to try to hunt it down but maybe someone else does.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks to Lorendoc for finding yesterday's Ross-Loos location. No wonder I couldn't find an Anaheim building in Long Beach.

-------------

As promised, here's a Ross-Loos clinic whose location is known (and is in Long Beach). It's "Job 467: Randolph Chalfant Head, Ross-Loos Clinic (Long Beach, Calif.), 1949". I'm posting a selection of the nine images in the set. There's a clearer, closer view of the front, but I wanted the long shot to show the side.

Here's the reception desk.

I assume that this is the waiting room. I think the desk from the image above appears on the right.

There was a courtyard next to the waiting room.

A reverse shot.

I'll finish with this shot of a consulting room.

All from Getty Research Institute

This building is another survivor. It's at 3850 Long Beach Boulevard, and is now Oakwood Academy.

GSV
Thanks, HossC for your efforts in posting all these wonderful photos. Why do you suppose the building looks so good in the original photos and so tacky in the "today" view?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:33 PM

Anyone have anything on 555 S. Hope St.?

On my return from yet another, and unexpected, sojourn in Hollywood (I go completely incommunicado when I travel), I found in my mailbox this plaintive message: "Would you know if 555 South Hope Street, LA was a private residence or a hotel in 1896?," the cause of her question being family research concerning a relative in Indianapolis and his travels.

My research could only come up with a listing of May 1, 1904, in the Los Angeles Times telling us, and anyone else who would listen, that "Dr. Emma L. Horton on Friday evening entertained a large number of friends at her residence, No. 555 South Hope street. The decorations were roses, calla lilies and smilax. Solos were rendered by the celebrated singer, Mme. Felkamp, of Chicago and by Mrs. Stewart of Denver," making it seem likely to me that the address was probably a private residence eight years before. --(Oh, yes, there was one other mention of the address in the Times in the era, but it was somewhere in a long long disordered listing of folks and addresses of the sort which makes me want to gouge my eyes out, which I didn't feel like doing at the moment.)

Here I think, from the 1909 panoramic map of L.A., is the area in question.

555 is perhaps the structure above the "ON" in "DILLON"?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:19 PM

There are only four people listed at 555 S Hope Street in the 1896 and 1897 CDs:

Los Angeles City Directory (Maxwell's) 1896

Coon Edwin, r. 555 S. Hope
Dexter Nancy N. (widow L.), r. 555 S. Hope
Mott Samuel C., propr. The Cabinet Saloon and Oyster Parlors, 461 S. Spring, r. 555 S. Hope
Payne Le Grande, traveling salesman, r. 555 S. Hope

Los Angeles City Directory 1897

King Sarah B. (widow R. M.), r. 555 S. Hope
Morrill Charles L., civil and mining engineer, 210 Wilcox Bldg., 206 S. Spring, r. 555 S. Hope
Pretty Matilda J. Miss, delicacies, 505½ W. 7th. r. 555 S. Hope

No two share a surname, so I'm guessing it wasn't a family residence.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post

Thanks, HossC for your efforts in posting all these wonderful photos. Why do you suppose the building looks so good in the original photos and so tacky in the "today" view?
Thanks for your comment, JimCraig.

There are a couple of reasons why the original photos look so good. Firstly, Julius Shulman's skill as a photographer shouldn't be underestimated. Even when I've tried to duplicate Mr Shulman's views of buildings that haven't changed much, they don't come close.

Secondly, many of Mr Shulman's subject were designed by well-regarded architects who knew what they were doing when they drew a building. Over the years, the buildings gradually lose many of the little details that made them special, like the square framework outside the Ross-Loos clinic. Windows get filled, roof lines get reprofiled, and the original architect's vision is lost. It's sad, but very common. Then, once a building looks as tatty as its neighbors, no one bothers when someone applies for a demo permit.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:00 PM

This may be a mystery Julius Shulman location - you'll have to just my evidence. It's "Job 3742: Allison and Rible, Blue Cross of Southern California, 1964".

I left out one image which showed an angle between these first two views.

This appears to be the entrance to an underground parking lot.

I'll finish with the only interior shot.

All from Getty Research Institute

I found a couple of mentions of Blue Cross of Southern California having an address at 4747 Sunset Boulevard. That's just below Barnsdall Park. The building's definitely not there now, but the whole block has seen many changes (there are a few thousand building permits, and I didn't have time to look through them). Could this be the building from the Shulman photos on a 1964 aerial view? It was there until sometime between 1989 and 1994.

Historic Aerials

I was hoping to find an angled aerial view to prove my theory, but failed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:

There are only four people listed at 555 S Hope Street in the 1896 and 1897 CDs:

Los Angeles City Directory (Maxwell's) 1896

Coon Edwin, r. 555 S. Hope
Mott Samuel C., propr. The Cabinet Saloon and Oyster Parlors, 461 S. Spring, r. 555 S. Hope
Payne Le Grande, traveling salesman, r. 555 S. Hope

Los Angeles City Directory 1897

King Sarah B. (widow R. M.), r. 555 S. Hope
Morrill Charles L., civil and mining engineer, 210 Wilcox Bldg., 206 S. Spring, r. 555 S. Hope
Pretty Matilda J. Miss, delicacies, 505½ W. 7th. r. 555 S. Hope

No two share a surname, so I'm guessing it wasn't a family residence.
Thanks, HossC! Yes, Mr. Payne is the party in question. Sounds as if it was a boarding house after all.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:15 PM

The building at 555 S Hope Street, presumably the same one, is described as an apartment house on the 1924 demo permit. It was probably demolished as part of the redevelopment of the nearby State Normal School as it made way for the LAPL Central Library.

Online Building Records

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:

The building at 555 S Hope Street, presumably the same one, is described as an apartment house on the 1924 demo permit. It was probably demolished as part of the redevelopment of the nearby State Normal School as it made way for the LAPL Central Library. [...]
Many thanks!

Have been poking around trying to find a photo, without success (yet!) . . .

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your comment, JimCraig.

There are a couple of reasons why the original photos look so good. Firstly, Julius Shulman's skill as a photographer shouldn't be underestimated. Even when I've tried to duplicate Mr Shulman's views of buildings that haven't changed much, they don't come close.

Secondly, many of Mr Shulman's subject were designed by well-regarded architects who knew what they were doing when they drew a building. Over the years, the buildings gradually lose many of the little details that made them special, like the square framework outside the Ross-Loos clinic. Windows get filled, roof lines get reprofiled, and the original architect's vision is lost. It's sad, but very common. Then, once a building looks as tatty as its neighbors, no one bothers when someone applies for a demo permit.
I'll add that b+w images almost always make buildings look better, especially with the high contrast shots he was known for. I've been toying around with the idea of breaking out my old manual camera and a roll of 25 speed b+w film I found, and heading over to the Kimbell Art Museum for an afternoon to see how I fare!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Hollywood....1959
Anyone know where this is located?

FileCD

Update: Thanks ER and ordinthor for the added info below....way cool....!!!

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 28, 2017 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:53 AM

Fun image CBD.

This is the southeast corner of Sepulveda and Washington in Culver City (1959). The red rocket on the right belonged to the Oldsmobile Dealership.

Here's that southeast corner today.

gsv

_

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hollywood....1959
Anyone know where this is locate?

FileCD
Some background...

via ProQuest via CSULB Library.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:17 AM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:26 AM

This might be one of the last photographs taken of Fire Station #24 on Hewitt Street. (the station closed in 1966)

"Orig 1960's LAFD Station 24 Building 204 s. Hewitt St 35mm negatives Lot"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-1960s-L...3D222554204639

It's from another roll of negatives for sale on ebay.

Here's the station years earlier.

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS024/FS024.htm

And lastly, a 1910 'publicity' photo.

To see the five other negs in the lot go here: (they're unrelated to the fire station)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-1960s-L...3D222554204639

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 28, 2017 at 1:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos