HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:03 AM

Helladog....the most interesting man in the maritimes!!!

"I don't always drink beer....but when I do......."......lol

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:34 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Helladog....the most interesting man in the maritimes!!!

"I don't always drink beer....but when I do......."......lol
"Stay thirsty my friends!"

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:55 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:15 PM

Has Bear closed or is Chef Ray just AWOL? Mixed reports on that subject today.

Also word on the street is that Seven is going to close soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

Also word on the street is that Seven is going to close soon.
heard the same thing

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Has Bear closed or is Chef Ray just AWOL? Mixed reports on that subject today.
the word from this part of the grapevine is That Chef Bear's partner, whom used too be a silent partner, is now running operation's, not hands on of coarse, apparently he is in the publishing bus. in California

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:34 AM

Deluxe eatery loses namesake chef Bear
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Mon. Sep 21 - 9:20 PM

High-end Halifax chef Ray Bear says he has left a Barrington Street restaurant that faces more than $600,000 in lawsuits.

Bear Restaurant opened in November 2008 and still bears his name. But Mr. Bear said Monday he stopped working there 10 days ago.
“It owes a lot of money,” he said in a telephone interview. “There were promises there to look after it, but I just felt in my heart that business wasn’t going to be done in a correct way, so I had to leave.”

Mr. Bear, who is from Halifax, said he is looking for opportunities elsewhere.

“But I hope to return to Halifax as soon as I can.”

Court documents show several contractors are suing to recoup a total of $607,747 for renovation work done to the restaurant.

The largest suit comes from Brifox Ltd., a company that built Bear. It claims it is owed $546,638.

Brifox is suing several companies and people with connections to the project, including Mr. Bear and his financial backer, California businessman David Tabah.

Mr. Tabah heads a numbered company that owns the restaurant.

He said Monday in a telephone interview from New York that lawsuits against the restaurant have nothing to do with Mr. Bear’s departure.

“He abandoned the restaurant because he couldn’t take the pressure,” Mr. Tabah said.

He said he doesn’t know whether he’ll change the restaurant’s name.

“I have no firm plans for anything yet.”

In court documents, Brifox claims the numbered company that owns Bear Restaurant is “merely a shell, sham, a puppet or alter ego” of the people and companies named in its suit.

But in a countersuit, both Mr. Tabah and Mr. Bear deny those claims. And in court documents, they allege that much of the work by Brifox “was performed incompetently, negligently and in breach of good construction, building and installation practices.”

On top of that, “Brifox charged close to $400,000 over the agreed amount,” Mr. Tabah said in an interview.

Contractors have liens on the building, said landlord Louis Lawen. But the restaurant has been paying its rent, he said.

“If they weren’t paying rent, they wouldn’t be there,” Mr. Lawen said.

(clambie@herald.ca )

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:35 PM

Seven closing

such a frustrating\sad state of affairs for this city, my opinion, when the argyle can survive, yet seven does not thrive, or even stay alive

my favorite place in the city

not because of the food

but because of the big city sex appeal of both the decor and people,
I did more drinking there than eating
a touch of contemporary class that just never caught on
I would of loved to have bought it as is, I defiantly would have made it a success
I hope the new owner doesn't gut the intirior....and tries to revitalize it

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:41 PM

Tried the relatively new Portuguese\Brazilian restaurant in the former wooden monkey space, it's called PIPA

the dishes I had where VERY flavorful and quiet satisfying
their food is the pinnacle of authenticity as far as Portuguese and Brazilian cuisine is concerned

the owner's are very nice people too

I will defiantly be back

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:24 PM

I would rank the Wooden Monkey as my favourite restaurant in The Fax. Not that I've been to every other place in town, but I've been around and yet I keep coming back for their food, it really is excellent.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:03 PM

I question why the Monkey does not have organic milk, which can be bought at any grocery store, as I do ever day

I thought they had an all organic philosophy? why do they have only mass produced non-organic beer in bottles then?

I eat all my meat Hormone and anti-biotic free

when I asked the server if the wooden monkey's steak was free of such nasty things....she said..."all our beef is free range and grain fed"
that's great, but what does that have to do with being organic?
she went and asked the kitchen they where clueless, so I went to Pipa instead
it is also common knowledge amongst Argyle street proprietors that the Eastern Food truck delivered to them on a regular basis in there old loc.

i

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:24 PM

On an even playing field
Quinpool restaurants seek lounge licenses
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

You may be able to meet for a drink at more spots on Quinpool Road, if some restaurateurs have their way.
Some Quinpool Road restaurant owners are appealing to city hall for the same right as eateries and bistros in Bayers Lake, Dartmouth Crossing and Spring Garden Road.
Currently, most restaurants on the busy commercial strip are not allowed to serve alcohol unless a patron orders food — a zoning law dating back to 1986.
Rock Island Cafe, Mezza Mediterranean Grill and Jimmy Zelios, co-owner of It’s All Greek To Me are putting the wheels in motion to ask city hall for special permission to have lounge licenses.
“The fact that it’s not an option is detrimental to some businesses,” said Zelios, who says his current liquor license at It’s All Greek To Me suits him fine, but, this spring, he’s looking at opening another businesses on Quinpool that would go well with a lounge license. (He didn’t want to disclose what it is yet.)
Khalid Wasi, owner of Rock Island Cafe, which offers Bermuda and Carribean cuisine and operates an open mic night on Thursdays, agreed.
“We’re just trying to put our restaurants on the same level playing field as the other restaurants in the downtown and other parts of the city, like in the business parks,” he said. “To me, it’s ludicrous that we don’t have that, and we have to jump through these hoops to get it done.”
At a recent Peninsula Community Council meeting, Northwest Arm-South End Coun. Sue Uteck asked city staff to look into the request and draft a report. She said the public will have the chance to weigh in on any proposed changes along the commercial strip.
“I think that once the neighbours understand this isn’t a new bar opening up. It’s not a lounge to 2 a.m. They just want to have the ability for customers to go in to listen to music and have a beer,” she said.
But, Zelios says, Quinpool shouldn’t be an extension of the downtown with happy hours and drink specials. If given the privilege, owners and managers have to act responsibly, he adds.
“We don’t want to offend anyone in the neighbourhood. The last thing we want is people leaving our establishments and causing a disturbance on the street or damaging property,” Zelios said. “We should be able to be on the same playing field, but we can’t let it get out of hand.”
Karla Nicholson, general manager of the Quinpool Road Mainstreet District Association, is on the same page. She says it’s not fair that people can meet everywhere else in the city for a glass of wine after work, but not at most of the businesses on Quinpool Road.
“They don’t want to extend their hours. They don’t want VLTs. They’re not looking for troublemakers. They’re looking for people who want to go in and have a glass of wine after work or sit there and have a glass of wine after their dinner without breaking the law,” Nicholson said.
Three businesses on Quinpool already have lounge licenses. Freeman’s Little New York and Atlantica Hotel Halifax’s lounge licenses were grandfathered in. Athens’ lounge license was included in its development agreement.

ljones@hfxnews.ca

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:38 PM

Adding something to the fairly barren restaurant landscape in Dartmouth, I see that It's All Greek To Me has opened their second location in the Russell Lake strip development, adjacent to the Sobey's. Should do well.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:18 AM

Just wondering... is the title of this thread misspelt on purpose? Favor ATE. LOL

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:27 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Has anyone been in Chebucto Coffee yet? I'm curious. I also have read that it may expand into the second floor as a restaurant or something.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 10:38 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Did I hear correct that a Baton Rouge is possibly coming to Halifax?

And...then I answered my own question I guess.
http://www.batonrougerestaurants.com...ing-soon-.html

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was under the impression that they are opening one in the Morse's Teas building.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:14 AM
Closed account

Not Murphys on the Water! Been there twice and it's an overpriced tourist trap.

There's a Greek place on Quinpool- Athens I think- absolutely top notch.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Not Murphys on the Water! Been there twice and it's an overpriced tourist trap.

There's a Greek place on Quinpool- Athens I think- absolutely top notch.
There are a few greek restaurants on Quinpool. Athens is also my favorite.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 9:56 PM

Athens is the worst of the bunch. Ever since they relocated they went downhill bigtime. The lids are now running the place and they don't have a clue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment