HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 1:32 PM

Nobody can see those pics until next month. Free Photobucket accounts have a monthly cap on bandwidth. For these pics, it has been exceeded for the current month.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 2:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Welcome Rene Craik.

The bandwidth has exceeded, many too many people have been looking at it and hogging up the server. You'll have to wait awhile.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 8:02 PM

(why does every hamiltonian refer to neighbourhoods as surveys, when everyone else I know in Ontario uses the term subdivision? It is completely unheard of, I did a double take the first time I heard my 'subdivision' refered to as a survey. And as far as I know, it's a local phenomenon.)

Part of the reason was George Hamilton laid out his village based on the "survey".

The survey ran from "lower baseline"(Burlington St.) to "upper baseline"(Rymal Rd).The east & west sides I have forgotten.

The survey was started in the east end, moving 1 concession west each time he reached a baseline. Because he had to scramble up and down the escarpment each time he went north and south, the links on his measuring "chain"gradually got thinner and therefore the chain got longer!!This is why we have "jogs" on Main st. at such places as Queen st. and Sherman ave.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 10:34 AM

Regarding stuckinexeter's photos...

OK.

So it's now February, 'next month'... How come they're not showing up?

: (

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmadrian View Post
OK.

So it's now February, 'next month'... How come they're not showing up?

: (
Sorry, the bandwidth resets on the day of the month the user registered, not the first of the month.

You'll have to wait a little longer, but they will show up eventually. I don't know what day exactly, but definitely within February.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 7:30 PM

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 11:37 AM

So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for photos in the same vein as stuckinexeter's, where to find them, etc. I'm mostly interested in pre-1970s material.

The Local History collection at the HPL is a great resource...but I'm wanting to find what I find online.

Besides; it might be the last day of the month before these photos become available to view.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 6:49 PM

Wow.

There are some incredible shots in this thread.

Sobering.

Memory-inducing.

Fascinating.

Thanks to those who have contributed so far...and I'm hoping there'll be some more coming.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 8:28 PM

Many thanks to all posters

A true trip down memory lane.

There was one picture of the canal taken from the Hamilton side. The Lady Hamilton (?) is alongside there. She used to do summer excursions mostly to Port Dalhousie and some moonlight cruises.

If anyone else recalls, there was a ferry service that went from either the foot of James or John, over to the canal in the summer. I recall it vividly but don't think I've ever seen any pictures of the one(s) in service in the 40's and 50's. I've seen pictures of narrow beam boats that serviced the hotels there in the 20's and 30's but these were very beamy craft and not at all suited for venturing past the canal into the lake.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:49 PM

Old pics of Hamilton

I would like to see the caption on the seventh (7th) picture corrected. It lists the company on the left of Depew Street, as being Dominion Bridge Company. This is in error, the name of the company at the time, 1937, was HAMILTON BRIDGE Company Ltd. This name was changed in the mid 1950s to Bridge and Tank Co. of Canada Ltd.- Hamilton Bridge Division. Dominion Bridge never was located there, they were in Toronto and Montreal and a few places in Western Canada.
I worked for Hamilton Bridge for over 36 years and my father for some 30 years, thus I should know the area quite well. Dominion Foundries and Steel Company Ltd. (DOFASCO), is the company on the right side of the picture, and they had a company named Dominion Castings, which was located a bit further North and just to the South of the rail line above Burlington Street and Procter and Gamble Ltd.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 1:45 PM

QEW Highway Pics From the 1960s and 1970s

Hi Folks:

New to the forum. I was reading this post and hoping you could help.

What I've been looking for is QEW pics of the Traffic Circle, at Centennial Parkway in Hamilton. I was hoping to find close-ups of the railway overpasses.

In fact I would love to find close-ups of the QEW (circa 1960s and 1970s) for the entire Hamilton-Burlington stretch, if possible. Just thought I'd ask.

I have seen Cameron Bevers "King's Highway" site (I am quite a regular visitor). So I hope to find other closeup images of the areas I've described.

Well hopefully someone knows where I may find something. Just a curious highway geek and QEW enthusiast.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Hamilton, Ontario)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 3:59 AM

looking for more pics of kenilworth and king area. Theres a few old farm s on king.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 12:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Check this link....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...5&postcount=24

Awesome! Downtown Hamiltin in 1968 in colour plus the old HSR.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 7:18 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

If anyone has pictures of the old Eatons (before the Eaton Centre) with the warehouse style elevators, or any other downtown pics from the 80's, that would bring back many memories! I was just a shorty at the time but also remember the underground walkway under James St. from Eatons to Kresges (I think?)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Check this link....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...5&postcount=24

Awesome! Downtown Hamiltin in 1968 in colour plus the old HSR.
Fantastic pictures. The quality is amazing... thanks for sharing!

I remember those red "Bus Area" signs. I was born in 1969, but everything I see in the pics was basically the same in the mid 70's when I can remember more.

I'd love to see more pics from around the late 60's to late 70's... whether it's based around HSR or not. Love this type of stuff.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Fantastic pictures. The quality is amazing... thanks for sharing!

I remember those red "Bus Area" signs. I was born in 1969, but everything I see in the pics was basically the same in the mid 70's when I can remember more.

I'd love to see more pics from around the late 60's to late 70's... whether it's based around HSR or not. Love this type of stuff.
Try this one
Hamilton ON Trolley Coaches

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 2:46 PM

No close ups of john street? it is so barren now I have always been curious if it had a streetwall.

Also has anyone seen old pictures of treble hall? would be cool to see it in its streetwall to see the potential of the upcoming development!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@taract_soulj@h View Post
If anyone has pictures of the old Eatons (before the Eaton Centre) with the warehouse style elevators, or any other downtown pics from the 80's, that would bring back many memories! I was just a shorty at the time but also remember the underground walkway under James St. from Eatons to Kresges (I think?)
You might be thinking of Zellers?

I'd also love some older pics from the core. I worked at Kresge's in the late 80's early 90's until it closed. I heard all the glory stories from customers and other employees and would love some pics especially of the Kresges building itself......I'm still convinced it's haunted.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 6:23 AM

So that must mean you remember...

The happy Harmonica Man!!
Who played a.. uh... um... the Happy Harmonica...
Was a fixture in front of Kresge's for a long time...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 2:58 PM

Yes he was, can't remember his name though. He was a regular inside the store too, super nice guy.

Edited to add: his name was Ken........don't know how, or why I remembered that after 20 years though.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos