Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 5:45 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdupree View Post
It's not just about Comcast, Other future proposed skyscrapers should be spread out from one another. You have areas like 8th & Market, South Broad Street, 30th & Market and the Water Front which are prime areas for construction that will give Philadelphia a great addition to the skyline. Just use your imagination!
How are zoning ordinances someone's "imagination" ?
Regardless, this is a great development. The open space within the interior is something I have never seen before in a skyscraper.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Feb 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdupree View Post
It's not just about Comcast, Other future proposed skyscrapers should be spread out from one another. You have areas like 8th & Market, South Broad Street, 30th & Market and the Water Front which are prime areas for construction that will give Philadelphia a great addition to the skyline. Just use your imagination!
I agree with you, but there are/was a lot of lots around the heart of the business district. It makes sense to build around 16th and market because of the vicinity to transit and other business.

There is a current boom around 30th street.

There has not been a demand to build Market east and forget about the waterfront. The city basically shits on all high rise proposals, they do not want height on the river.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:29 PM
the canyons of the city

This building would definitely look better with an additional set back:

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity2112 View Post

Trinity2112, you're going to need to duck, because someone's bound to throw a snowball at you! (But between you and I ? )

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Kind of look like the Sears (Willis) tower a bit with a side spire

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:

Nice! Send it to Foster, along with an invoice for architecture services rendered...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:20 AM
Chairman

Looks nice. Perhaps the top setback can be residential. Having some width would be better.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Looks nice. Perhaps the top setback can be residential. Having some width would be better.
I said that awhile ago. Make it one floor condos, make 10 floors worth, charge them 30 mil a piece,( a bargain, in a prestigious address like that!) It helps pay for a 1/3 of construction costs.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I said that awhile ago. Make it one floor condos, make 10 floors worth, charge them 30 mil a piece,( a bargain, in a prestigious address like that!) It helps pay for a 1/3 of construction costs.
But wouldn't that mean we would lose our top floor restaurant and views?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
But wouldn't that mean we would lose our top floor restaurant and views?
Not necessarily. The extended height for the condos wouldn't have to have the "setback". They could be made as wide as the hotel portion. Maybe this would allow the space needed for a private elevator just for the condos. (I would think one elevator for 10 units would be sufficient, perhaps two if the space allows it.) The offices would have their own elevators, if workers wanted to go to the restaurant while at work, or after work, they could board a designated elevator that shares office/restaurant. Finally, the restaurant and observation area would have their own elevators. The hotel & observation elevator would bypass the condo units altogether. I'm not an architect, and I don't even know if that idea is feasible. I just dream up ideas of "what ifs", but sometimes brainstorming or throwing out wild ideas can be compromised.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:25 PM
Up, up, and away!

Quote:
I agree with you on that, but with just until this summer or fall until groundbreaking, I wouldn't count on a redesign. I'll admit though, I would be willing to wait another year for this building if it it meant that sort of redesign.

I mean really, after seeing the ACC proposal (before it was dead), I still think they're not really giving this site the development it deserves. I won't rant, but I was really hoping for something at least 1300' to make up for that.

Especially when the roof of this building doesn't even appear taller than the original Comcast, that drives me nuts ...don't get me wrong, I'll still take it though. Better to get started on it soon while there's still time, people are saying this year is looking like another 2008.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:30 PM

CITC vs ACC

Honestly, I think CITC is a much better looking building than the ACC. I understand the loss of 400 feet, however it would have looked out of place. I also HATE buildings that are just tall glass rectangles with only a few interesting design points. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Cira Center for that reason (however the size of that building makes it pretty good).

Philadelphia has a truly amazing set of tall buildings that are all architecturally interesting. The Liberty Places, Comcast Center, PSFS, City Hall, and Mellon Bank Center are all amazing to look at. CITC is WAY more visually stimulating. I am not a fan however of the large squares as they make the building look smaller (at least in the renders). Both buildings do look slightly out of place imo, but in 10-15 years when hopefully more supertalls go up, it will start to blend right in.

I just hope this goes up before any problems can be had. The sooner the better. I only have one more worry or thing that I would change and that is the usage of the space. The Four Season says 200+ rooms. The current one has 374 and even some of the smaller ones (Boston) have 273 rooms. I hope they mean more like 250+ and not like 210 rooms. Another thing is shopping. The ACC had a huge mall and shopping center underground. The CITC could have similar plans (maybe connecting it to the Market under the Comcast Center). I hope more than one restaurant is included as well on the first floor (I'm sure this will happen). Also I wish there was at least some residential. Those would sell tbh.

Regardless, I'm psyched and won't really complain as long as this is built to plan.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:50 AM
Everywhere all at once

It's fair to consider too that had the American Commerce Center moved through the proposal phase onward to construction, it's likely the design would have been refined (read: modified) considerably. Not only do I like Comcast's tower for the fact that it's a far more detailed and fleshed out proposal, but it's nice to know that it's tenanted and has backing and such. All their ducks are in a row this time around.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:27 AM

Does anyone know how tall the building is to the roof? I looked at the diagram and it seems to indicate 915' (height of Citicorp center) but is that an estimation by the illustrator or is it based on knowledge of the building itself?

If the height is 915 then the renderings seem to be too short (The Comcast center seems to tower over the roof of the CITC...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasrapp98 View Post

Honestly, I think CITC is a much better looking building than the ACC. I understand the loss of 400 feet, however it would have looked out of place. I also HATE buildings that are just tall glass rectangles with only a few interesting design points. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Cira Center for that reason (however the size of that building makes it pretty good).

Philadelphia has a truly amazing set of tall buildings that are all architecturally interesting. The Liberty Places, Comcast Center, PSFS, City Hall, and Mellon Bank Center are all amazing to look at. CITC is WAY more visually stimulating. I am not a fan however of the large squares as they make the building look smaller (at least in the renders). Both buildings do look slightly out of place imo, but in 10-15 years when hopefully more supertalls go up, it will start to blend right in.

I just hope this goes up before any problems can be had. The sooner the better. I only have one more worry or thing that I would change and that is the usage of the space. The Four Season says 200+ rooms. The current one has 374 and even some of the smaller ones (Boston) have 273 rooms. I hope they mean more like 250+ and not like 210 rooms. Another thing is shopping. The ACC had a huge mall and shopping center underground. The CITC could have similar plans (maybe connecting it to the Market under the Comcast Center). I hope more than one restaurant is included as well on the first floor (I'm sure this will happen). Also I wish there was at least some residential. Those would sell tbh.

Regardless, I'm psyched and won't really complain as long as this is built to plan.
Looking at the two proposals, I've always felt that the ACC was the better looking proposal, IMHO since it looks like a world-class tower. A one-of-a-kind design if you ask me!!!!! I don't see how people can say that it's copying of the Freedom Tower when they're two completely different designs. Actually, it's said that the Freedom Tower copied off the original Comcast Center proposal back in 2005 sans the spire. The ACC spire personally looks a lot better than the one on the Freedom Tower.

The CITC looks like a bunch of stacked milk crates covered in glass if you ask me!!!!! It doesn't look inspiring neither does it look like it can be an iconic piece of work like the Twin Towers, Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building in NYC, and the Sears and John Hancock Towers in Chicago. Even though it seems like the CITC will have the same amenities as the ACC such as the hotel, the retail space, and the connecting concourse to Suburban Station, the exterior and interior design overall isn't a hit, but rather a miss.

The ACC had everything going for itself except a major tenant even though the economy was the worst since the great depression. What's funny about it is that the Empire State Building, the World Trade Center, and the Sears Tower were completed when the economy was down and all the aforementioned towers started to struggle economically during their early inceptions. I'm personally hoping that the CITC doesn't get built because it's a subpar building and hope the ACC comes back with a slightly differing design or something similar comes at 18th and Arch.

I still don't see how the CITC is better than the ACC, considering the ACC had the better design, had the better economical plan (pension fund plus 50% of office space would've been leased to the major tenant as opposed to the Comcast Center, where 90% is leased; similar to how the Sears Tower started out and we know what happened after Sears left the building), and the aesthetics were better. But I guess that's just how Philly is: always looking to be mediocre!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Looking at the two proposals, I've always felt that the ACC was the better looking proposal, IMHO since it looks like a world-class tower. A one-of-a-kind design if you ask me!!!!! I don't see how people can say that it's copying of the Freedom Tower when they're two completely different designs. Actually, it's said that the Freedom Tower copied off the original Comcast Center proposal back in 2005 sans the spire. The ACC spire personally looks a lot better than the one on the Freedom Tower.

The CITC looks like a bunch of stacked milk crates covered in glass if you ask me!!!!! It doesn't look inspiring neither does it look like it can be an iconic piece of work like the Twin Towers, Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building in NYC, and the Sears and John Hancock Towers in Chicago. Even though it seems like the CITC will have the same amenities as the ACC such as the hotel, the retail space, and the connecting concourse to Suburban Station, the exterior and interior design overall isn't a hit, but rather a miss.

The ACC had everything going for itself except a major tenant even though the economy was the worst since the great depression. What's funny about it is that the Empire State Building, the World Trade Center, and the Sears Tower were completed when the economy was down and all the aforementioned towers started to struggle economically during their early inceptions. I'm personally hoping that the CITC doesn't get built because it's a subpar building and hope the ACC comes back with a slightly differing design or something similar comes at 18th and Arch.

I still don't see how the CITC is better than the ACC, considering the ACC had the better design, had the better economical plan (pension fund plus 50% of office space would've been leased to the major tenant as opposed to the Comcast Center, where 90% is leased; similar to how the Sears Tower started out and we know what happened after Sears left the building), and the aesthetics were better. But I guess that's just how Philly is: always looking to be mediocre!!!!!

This is exactly how I feel too. ACC had the potential to be one of those iconic buildings that would have made a photo of the skyline easily recognizeable as Philadelphia, kind of like Willis and Hancock in Chicago. Liberty One could have been that had it been taller.

CITC is fine as "filler", but not as the anchor of the skyline. I would hope that another supertall (1,400' including spire) would go up (preferably at least a little bit away from the cluster) to become that iconic building.

EDIT: what's anyone's thoughs of a "Liberty 3" in the 1200-1300 range? Obviously it's not a possibility, but I would be in favor of it if the proposal ever came about (which it won't.)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
This is exactly how I feel too. ACC had the potential to be one of those iconic buildings that would have made a photo of the skyline easily recognizeable as Philadelphia, kind of like Willis and Hancock in Chicago. Liberty One could have been that had it been taller.

CITC is fine as "filler", but not as the anchor of the skyline. I would hope that another supertall (1,400' including spire) would go up (preferably at least a little bit away from the cluster) to become that iconic building.

EDIT: what's anyone's thoughs of a "Liberty 3" in the 1200-1300 range? Obviously it's not a possibility, but I would be in favor of it if the proposal ever came about (which it won't.)

CITC is growing on me - in terms of other talls would love to see them over on Market East - imagine a 1200-1400 footer and say and 800 footer on the other side of broad - maybe on top of the Gallery to add life to the area.

But I like the new design the more I look at it

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post

1. You can't say ACC had a better economic plan when it didn't have a SINGLE tenant.

2. Ask me, ACC was super bland. It had no flavor and dominated a well put together skyline way too much.

3. I don't want my iconic tower in front of my other skyscrapers. It would block more buildings than CITC.

4. You would rather this not be built??? Just because it's not the best use of space in your mind doesn't mean we should just wait another 10-15 years until a better proposal comes up. You build this, let in fill in that area do it's thing and keep on trucking.

5. This building is bringing a. Tons of jobs, b. Sets up a full NBC move to Philly, c. It brings TONS of rich tourists to the city for the new Four Seasons, e. Sets a standard in Philly for innovation as this building is supposed to be like a vertical Silicon Valley.

To the Liberty 3 thing, I'd LOVE that. Maybe on Rittenhouse Square where Castleway is supposed to be built. Liberty 1 and 2 are possibly my favorite buildings in the USA. I love their design and they bring back great memories for me. A 3rd building in that same metal/glass spire/triangular shaped style but 1200 feet or more would be AMAZING.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
1. You can't say ACC had a better economic plan when it didn't have a SINGLE tenant.

2. Ask me, ACC was super bland. It had no flavor and dominated a well put together skyline way too much.

3. I don't want my iconic tower in front of my other skyscrapers. It would block more buildings than CITC.

4. You would rather this not be built??? Just because it's not the best use of space in your mind doesn't mean we should just wait another 10-15 years until a better proposal comes up. You build this, let in fill in that area do it's thing and keep on trucking.

5. This building is bringing a. Tons of jobs, b. Sets up a full NBC move to Philly, c. It brings TONS of rich tourists to the city for the new Four Seasons, e. Sets a standard in Philly for innovation as this building is supposed to be like a vertical Silicon Valley.

To the Liberty 3 thing, I'd LOVE that. Maybe on Rittenhouse Square where Castleway is supposed to be built. Liberty 1 and 2 are possibly my favorite buildings in the USA. I love their design and they bring back great memories for me. A 3rd building in that same metal/glass spire/triangular shaped style but 1200 feet or more would be AMAZING.
or on the lot at 13th and Market

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:

As much as I hate Comcast, I think this design is a game changer for Philadelphia architecture. I don't think it will be as influential as the PSFS Building, but I think it's a break from the tired glass curtains. The ACC was tall, but it didn't seem to be anything new. Even on the lower floors with it's giant pass through and colored panels were stuff we've seen before in Philadelphia, just on a larger scale. To me the CITC is different, at least locally, something you'd expect to see in Europe.

The ACC also just seemed like an unrealistic proposal without a tenant. The CITC will almost certainly be built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture