HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:45 PM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:23 PM

Some interesting shots of construction of the Lord Nelson Hotel posted today by the Spring Garden Area Business association:

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:57 PM

Thanks for posting, Keith. Looks like they worked pretty quickly through the winter, especially considering the tools they had to work with at the time.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:11 PM

From the Halifax Municipal Archives, here are a couple of pictures of Birney cars in front of the Oxford Theatre, looks like they are from the early 1940s. Since the Oxford was opened in 1937, I would say that this is the original signage, which I had never seen before.

I thought that others might like to see it as well.

Halifax Municipal Archives

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jan 19, 2019 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Added a photo

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I've been poking through the Dalhousie archives: https://findingaids.library.dal.ca

There are a lot of great old photos but there's also a lot to sift through. The two biggest standouts for me so far as a couple of 60's-era pictures of the Studley campus and North End. The Dal picture is neat because it shows what things were like before the LSC and Killam. I believe the small building across from the old science building was the education building and was torn down in the late 90's or so.

I wish this North End photo were a bit older and the empty blocks still had buildings, but it's impressive nonetheless:

Aside from the obvious big changes around Cogswell, there's also a row of buildings below Barrington that are all gone. That area really ended up with the worth of both worlds. Barrington was widened and then the rail line ended up disappearing as well, so that ROW just ended up becoming parking lots.

It doesn't look like there was much on the Citadel side of Cogswell before modern redevelopment happened, but I have heard that Prince Edward's house was in that area when he lived in Halifax. I wonder what it looked like and how long it survived for.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:05 AM

It's interesting that almost all of the truly Modern buildings in that last photo are in Uniacke Square - it looks so jarringly new compared to everything else in that view. Alex Hall at King's also looks brand-new in the first photo but its architecture is pre-Modern (it was designed to match the rest of the campus). It kind of ties into what I think is a fundamental generational difference in terms of how people view the city and development. A lot of the people who are dead-set against highrise development are old enough to remember a time when Halifax was an almost exclusively lowrise, pre-modern city. There's never been a time in my life where there weren't already mid-to-highrise apartment buildings scattered throughout the neighbourhoods. Friends of mine lived in them growing up and they were just a completely normal aspect of the urban fabric to me. On the other hand I've encountered people at public meetings who basically see every large building that's been built in Halifax as an isolated mistake, and haven't really wrapped their heads around the fact that we've been a city that builds that kind of thing for 50+ years now.

I'm curious about the wide buildings at the top of the first photo - is that cluster an early West End Mall?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
It's interesting that almost all of the truly Modern buildings in that last photo are in Uniacke Square - it looks so jarringly new compared to everything else in that view. Alex Hall at King's also looks brand-new in the first photo but its architecture is pre-Modern (it was designed to match the rest of the campus). It kind of ties into what I think is a fundamental generational difference in terms of how people view the city and development. A lot of the people who are dead-set against highrise development are old enough to remember a time when Halifax was an almost exclusively lowrise, pre-modern city. There's never been a time in my life where there weren't already mid-to-highrise apartment buildings scattered throughout the neighbourhoods. Friends of mine lived in them growing up and they were just a completely normal aspect of the urban fabric to me. On the other hand I've encountered people at public meetings who basically see every large building that's been built in Halifax as an isolated mistake, and haven't really wrapped their heads around the fact that we've been a city that builds that kind of thing for 50+ years now.
This is interesting. I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that different groups fundamentally think about the city differently and have different concepts of what's "normal", and that this is a factor behind the disconnect between some people thinking a given change to the city is great and other thinking it is awful.

I also wonder though how much the early highrises simply gave highrises a bad reputation in Halifax. Do the people who dislike highrises hate the very idea of any building that is taller than 6 floors or do they think of examples like Fenwick and consider those unappealing? I doubt they would argue that Halifax's historic highrises should be torn down, or would argue that all ritzy Manhattan apartment buildings over 8 or 10 storeys are eyesores.

There was a sort of proto-modern development period in Halifax that went from about 1925-1955. During this period, the Dominion Building was built, the VG, Bethune, Ralston, and some early residential highrise-ish buildings like Spring Garden Terrace. In the 1960's, the lid blew off completely and Halifax got buildings on a modern scale or bigger (Fenwick, Scotia Square, Park Vic). That shift from the 50's to 60's must have seemed pretty crazy at the time. 1965 Halifax and 1975 Halifax were two different places.

Nobody seems to complain about the proto-modern buildings and they don't come up much in debates, but a handful of them are highrises and when they were built they were much larger than everything around them. The VG was a 14 storey structure built in the 1940's that at the time was surrounded mostly by 2-3 storey Victorians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I'm curious about the wide buildings at the top of the first photo - is that cluster an early West End Mall?
Yep. That's West End Mall and the apartments along Olivet Street.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 1:43 PM

I'm only seeing the Dal campus photo, not anything re the north end.

What is at the top of the Dal photo is not really the West End mall because it wasn't there at the time. On the left is the original Simpson's building and the white structure to its right is the "new" Simpsons-Sears 1960s addition. It had a great white cladding with inset windows at street level (made for a great place to sit out of the rain waiting for a bus) that looked almost like quartz stones embedded into it that sadly has disappeared.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:40 PM

I believe Keith is correct. Looks like the "new" Simpsons store in its original form.

Source

Zoomable pic from NS archives

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:44 PM

Here is an aerial from the back side:

Closer up:

Source

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I wish this North End photo were a bit older and the empty blocks still had buildings, but it's impressive nonetheless:

Aside from the obvious big changes around Cogswell, there's also a row of buildings below Barrington that are all gone. That area really ended up with the worth of both worlds. Barrington was widened and then the rail line ended up disappearing as well, so that ROW just ended up becoming parking lots.

It doesn't look like there was much on the Citadel side of Cogswell before modern redevelopment happened, but I have heard that Prince Edward's house was in that area when he lived in Halifax. I wonder what it looked like and how long it survived for.
Your 'north end' photo is kind of depressing, yet interesting for perspective. The lower right side of the photo shows a lot of the old stone warehouses, etc. still intact, but run down and not far from their demise. You can find them on the Municipal Archives site if you poke around a little...

This building shows up as the stark white building in the lower right of that large photo.

I believe the next two photos are part of what is now Historic Properties.

One of Barrington (and Brunswick?) near Cogswell area:

Halifax Public Archives

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jan 21, 2019 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:05 PM

Great article! I've never seen the old photo before, but I remember this house from way back, as it was right across the street from my elementary school. At the time I just thought it was a small modest house, but have known about its historical significance for some time now.

When you think about how long it's been there, how many changes and significant events have come and gone while it has been there, how many lives it has touched either through people living there or just being aware of it, and how it actually managed to survive for over a century and a half... it just boggles the mind.

There's good info about Irishtown in the article that I hadn't heard before as well.

Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Great article! I've never seen the old photo before, but I remember this house from way back, as it was right across the street from my elementary school. At the time I just thought it was a small modest house, but have known about its historical significance for some time now.

When you think about how long it's been there, how many changes and significant events have come and gone while it has been there, how many lives it has touched either through people living there or just being aware of it, and how it actually managed to survive for over a century and a half... it just boggles the mind.

There's good info about Irishtown in the article that I hadn't heard before as well.

Thanks for posting!
That old cottage would benefit from some respectful restoration, get rid of the vinyl, do shingles, period colours.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
That old cottage would benefit from some respectful restoration, get rid of the vinyl, do shingles, period colours.
I'm actually a little surprised that the city hasn't purchased it and turned it into a historical site, like they did with the Quaker House. It would fit in well with the Shubenacadie Canal-related restorations and historical sites.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:59 PM

Just stumbled on a number of photos on the Municipal Archives site that appear to have been uploaded within the past week. Most of them are from April 1956 and are in colour, which is really unusual for photos of Halifax from that era.

Here are some of the more interesting ones I found:

Looking towards the then-new Macdonald bridge from the Citadel:

The downtown looked very different than it does now...

In this one you can see the old Herald sign and Citadel Motors where Cambridge Suites now resides:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:27 PM

More from April 1956:

At Lower Water Street and George Street (and Bedford Row) looking north. It was a curious little triangle of pavement where people used to park their cars. It is almost unidentifiable compared to how it looks today.

George & Lwr Water today

Looking down Sackville Street from just above Argyle:

The only thing vaguely recognizable today is the edge of the Vogue building on the left that is now part of The Roy project, and the Tramway building on the right, both at Barrington level:
Looking down Sackville from the same location in Aug 2018

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:18 PM

Here's a view of the Halifax skyline from the Dartmouth Ferry terminal (April 1956):

Note that the ferry still carried cars (soon to be replaced with passenger-only ferries), but there are only one or two on it, likely due to the Macdonald Bridge which had been in service a little over a year when this photo was taken.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:28 PM

The Macdonald Bridge from the Dartmouth side, showing reddish paint instead of the familiar green. (April 11, 1956)

The bridge officially opened on April 2, 1955.

Here it is again from the Citadel on Oct. 20, 1956:

Note the bright yellow trolleybus driving by the old Halifax market/police station building. The trolleybuses would have only been in service about 7 years when that pic was taken.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:47 PM

This one is just labeled "Dartmouth - Train tracks", but I'm going to take a guess and say it's Nootka Ave, near Shannon Park in Dartmouth. Across the harbour you can see the old Richmond area of Halifax dotted with those small houses built during the war.

Notably missing is the MacKay bridge (built in 1970), and the electrical towers from Tufts Cove generating station (constructed in 1965).

Nootka Ave on Google maps as it appeared in 2015

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos