HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:32 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gorgeous. And don't worry, Tancredi. Unless you're from here, there is absolutely nothing St. John's has that is lacking in Palermo, or anywhere else of significance in Italy lol

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:46 AM
ARTchitecture

Just adopted a dog on Friday, and have spent 15 of the last 55 hours walking her around the area... so I guess it's been a nice weekend

The Beauty by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

'Hate is a burden, you don’t need to carry it with you.' — Annushka Volovodov

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:27 AM
Go Chiefs!

1C and cloudy this afternoon. Started snowing at 4PM. We had a quick 8cm on the island before it turned into rain at around 10PM.
It will be interesting to see how much white stuff is left tomorrow.

Low of -6C (wind chill -12).

The warmspot was Claresholm, AB at 9.7C.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Gorgeous. And don't worry, Tancredi. Unless you're from here, there is absolutely nothing St. John's has that is lacking in Palermo, or anywhere else of significance in Italy lol
SignalHillHiker if you are looking for hot summer surely in St. John's there is no hot summer. But for everything else you have everything; a city in close contact with nature, a varied climate with many emotions, a splendid sea, peaceful people, tranquility .....

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:46 PM
Knowing, not winning

The media are saying Ottawa airport got 8 cm of snow, but here in Gatineau it's definitely closer to 20 cm.

I cleared a bit last night before going to bed and it was light and fluffy, but this morning's was very heavy so I guess some rain mixed in with it.

Last night was like flour, this morning was like wet sand.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:47 PM
Knowing, not winning

So I guess my cycling season is officially over. Last Friday was the final day, with a temperature of about +15C.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

+2C in Moncton at 9 AM and overcast, going up to 12C later today with rain, occasionally heavy.

Big blizzard coming in Labrador (same system); 50-75 cm of snow. They can keep it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:21 PM

nearly 9 hours of video during a road trip to Newfoundland Island from St. John's to Channel-Port aux Basques. A very relaxing ASMR video that I use at night

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:23 PM

Toronto (YYZ) finished with 19cm , their biggest November snowfall in 70 years and 3rd biggest of all time.

It's also worth mentioning that downtown Toronto it was under 5cm. The jackpot for this storm was from Kitchener/Waterloo, Guelph, across to Brampton, Milton, Vaughan and Newmarket, Mississauga, etc where 15-25cm fell.

My area received a bit less, 11-12cm. Looks like a winter wonderland out there this morning.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi View Post
nearly 9 hours of video during a road trip to Newfoundland Island from St. John's to Channel-Port aux Basques. A very relaxing ASMR video that I use at night

Video Link
Wow..9 hours video of Newfoundland video. I couldn't view it but you watch this to help you sleep . I know most of Newfoundland away from the coast all looks the same but to use it to get sleep is a new one for me.

If it hadn't have been for Covid my wife and I would have visited northern Italy this fall...maybe in the fall of 2021 or spring 2022.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Wow..9 hours video of Newfoundland video. I couldn't view it but you watch this to help you sleep . I know most of Newfoundland away from the coast all looks the same but to use it to get sleep is a new one for me.

If it hadn't have been for Covid my wife and I would have visited northern Italy this fall...maybe in the fall of 2021 or spring 2022.
I don't suffer from insomnia but I like to have the sounds of Canada as a musical background. I hope you can visit Italy this summer.

I don't suffer from insomnia but I like to have the sounds of Canada as a musical background. I hope you can visit Italy this summer. There are many beautiful places in the north to visit from the sea to the mountains such as Venice, Verona, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Lignano Sabbiadoro, Portofino, Milan, Turin, Courmayeur, Rimini, Riccione, Cesenatico, Ravenna, Trieste, Albano Terme, Vercelli, Bergamo , Vieste, Lake Garda, Livigno, San Remo, Pavia, Chioggia, Modena, Mantua, The Cinque Terre, Bolzano, etc .....

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:

The drive from St. John's to Port-Aux-Basque is about as sleep-inducing as it comes. Especially between Grand Falls and Deer Lake.

EDIT: here's the video. Not sure if this person is driving via GPS or not, however they did themselves no favours by turning right at the lights leaving the airport instead of left.....an unnecessary five minute diversion through a residential neighbourhood that would have been avoided by turning left. Would have reached the set of lights at 7:43 in about 90 seconds instead of 5+ minutes haha.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I don't suffer from insomnia but I like to have the sounds of Canada as a musical background. I hope you can visit Italy this summer.

I don't suffer from insomnia but I like to have the sounds of Canada as a musical background. I hope you can visit Italy this summer. There are many beautiful places in the north to visit from the sea to the mountains such as Venice, Verona, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Lignano Sabbiadoro, Portofino, Milan, Turin, Courmayeur, Rimini, Riccione, Cesenatico, Ravenna, Trieste, Albano Terme, Vercelli, Bergamo , Vieste, Lake Garda, Livigno, San Remo, Pavia, Chioggia, Modena, Mantua, The Cinque Terre, Bolzano, etc .....
Cortina was on our list. I've been to Vipiteno, Milan, Como, Bormio, Stelvio Pass, Ventimiglia, Cuneo, Limone Piemonte, Turin, Verres, Aosta Valley, Bardonnechia and Cassino (I was there when Italy won the World Cup in 1982..crazy times). Mountains are my preference and then the coastline (but not into beaches much)...and lots of walking, hiking in the hills, mountains with good food at the end of the day. Small hill towns are some of my favourite things to explore.

As well, I'd like to go to that place near Bari where there are cone shaped houses.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberobello Unfortunately a long way from the other places in northern Italy.

The Cinque Terre would be nice but not in summer. October? Do you think it would be less crazy then.?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Toronto (YYZ) finished with 19cm , their biggest November snowfall in 70 years and 3rd biggest of all time.

It's also worth mentioning that downtown Toronto it was under 5cm. The jackpot for this storm was from Kitchener/Waterloo, Guelph, across to Brampton, Milton, Vaughan and Newmarket, Mississauga, etc where 15-25cm fell.

My area received a bit less, 11-12cm. Looks like a winter wonderland out there this morning.
We just got rain mixed with wet snow, no accumulation at all.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Cortina was on our list. I've been to Vipiteno, Milan, Como, Bormio, Stelvio Pass, Ventimiglia, Cuneo, Limone Piemonte, Turin, Verres, Aosta Valley, Bardonnechia and Cassino (I was there when Italy won the World Cup in 1982..crazy times). Mountains are my preference and then the coastline (but not into beaches much)...and lots of walking, hiking in the hills, mountains with good food at the end of the day. Small hill towns are some of my favourite things to explore.

As well, I'd like to go to that place near Bari where there are cone shaped houses.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberobello Unfortunately a long way from the other places in northern Italy.

The Cinque Terre would be nice but not in summer. October? Do you think it would be less crazy then.?
WOW !!!! So you know Northern Italy very well! Why have you never visited central southern Italy? October is a good month to visit Italy, but especially the South. For example, if you want to enjoy very mild temperatures and many sunny days, the perfect months to visit Sicily are April, May, the second half of September. and October. In fact, even in these months you can swim in the seas of Sicily. In reality, even with regard to the second part of spring and the first part of autumn, they are good times to visit to visit Northern Italy but in autumn there can be flood periods (and also in Sicily in October there can be abundant rains).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The drive from St. John's to Port-Aux-Basque is about as sleep-inducing as it comes. Especially between Grand Falls and Deer Lake.

EDIT: here's the video. Not sure if this person is driving via GPS or not, however they did themselves no favours by turning right at the lights leaving the airport instead of left.....an unnecessary five minute diversion through a residential neighbourhood that would have been avoided by turning left. Would have reached the set of lights at 7:43 in about 90 seconds instead of 5+ minutes haha.

Video Link
Maybe he voluntarily wanted to lengthen the trip to make a longer video

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
WOW !!!! So you know Northern Italy very well! Why have you never visited central southern Italy? October is a good month to visit Italy, but especially the South. For example, if you want to enjoy very mild temperatures and many sunny days, the perfect months to visit Sicily are April, May, the second half of September. and October. In fact, even in these months you can swim in the seas of Sicily. In reality, even with regard to the second part of spring and the first part of autumn, they are good times to visit to visit Northern Italy but in autumn there can be flood periods (and also in Sicily in October there can be abundant rains).
Hey, I've been to Cassino and seen the autostrada from Rome to Cassino. I've been to many areas of the Alps (France: Tende, Chamonix, Bourg Ste Maurice, Tignes, Castellane) Switzerland (Lausanne, Zurich, Zermatt, Furka Pass) and Austria (Reutte, Innsbruck, Salzburg) and in Italy the Stelvio Pass area as well, but never really got south of Cassino. I was only 17 when I was in Cassino so not exactly in charge of my destiny.

Thanks for the swimming/weather tips. Italy in the height/heat of summer with lots of tourists isn't my thing...we can time our visit off season.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Hey, I've been to Cassino and seen the autostrada from Rome to Cassino. I've been to many areas of the Alps (France: Tende, Chamonix, Bourg Ste Maurice, Tignes, Castellane) Switzerland (Lausanne, Zurich, Zermatt, Furka Pass) and Austria (Reutte, Innsbruck, Salzburg) and in Italy the Stelvio Pass area as well, but never really got south of Cassino. I was only 17 when I was in Cassino so not exactly in charge of my destiny.

Thanks for the swimming/weather tips. Italy in the height/heat of summer with lots of tourists isn't my thing...we can time our visit off season.
I understand that you love to visit quiet places and without too many people. In Italy there are many small suggestive mountain towns, very beautiful seaside villages, spectacular abbeys and convents, secret hermitages etc that have these characteristics and are far from the classic tourist traffic

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:25 PM
Knowing, not winning

Quote:

I've been to Cinque Terre (with kids) in July so peak tourist season. This was about 2-3 summers ago.

It honestly wasn't that bad.

Definitely worth it.

I don't know how badly you want to see Cinque Terre (or any other place) but personally I would never avoid going to a place I really want to see simply because it will be crowded.

Unless you're sure of being able to go back there at some point in the future.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

Somebody on here (SHH?) once said that driving across Northern Ontario was like deep space flight without the cryogenics. This reminds me of that too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada