HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 7:14 PM
ARTchitecture

Reached our forecast high a few hours early, looks like we'll break 20 again. Didn't even go below 10 last night Ye olde October Chinook.

Edit: Reached 20 at 2 pm.

Looks like we'll be getting our first frost Tuesday morning, with a couple more this coming week.

Mid October Run by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

'Hate is a burden, you don’t need to carry it with you.' — Annushka Volovodov

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Oct 10, 2020 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 7:54 PM
Community Guy

A gorgeous 14C fall day here in Edmonton. We will be doing appys and cocktails al fresco on the deck later before the bird.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:36 PM

Overcast and breezy, but mild.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 9:42 PM

20C at 3pm. Very likely our last 20C day for a while, so I got out and enjoyed as much of it as I can.

First frost, and possible first dusting of a certain 4 letter S possible later in the week.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 11:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Fog around Fairview Cove area, Halifax

Source

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 11:25 PM

YYC Airport has made a high of 21.0 so far. Temperatures trend cooler for the next 5 days with highs as low as 6C to 12C. Overnight lows between 2C and -2C.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 11:35 PM
Suburbs Suck

Thunder lightning downpours and even a spot of hail. In other words really gross.
High of just 14.0C
Tonight's very low 5C.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:03 AM

Today was probably the last day with a noticeable humidex. High was 24.3 with a humidex of 31.5.

Went for a walk at Clear Creek Provincial Park, which is an old growth Carolinian forest with plenty of very large trees. I thought it was mainly a Maple-Beech forest, but was pleasantly surprised to see it transforms into a nice mix of walnut, hickory, oak and much more if you follow the creek bed. Interestingly, I did not see a single tulip tree or sassafras, which are common in nearby forests.

Shagbark hickory and black cherry

Big trees: black walnut, American beech, red oak

I did not know hackberry grew this large

Spring peeper

A venomous hickory moth caterpillar

Won't see many ash trees these days, here you can see the trails left by the invasive emerald ash borer

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:22 AM
Go Chiefs!

23C with a humidex of 27 and mainly sunny this afternoon. Windy but that's fine since it was warm wind.

We had a severe thunderstorm late this afternoon and hail. It's only the 3rd or 4th time I ever see hail in MTL. That was the biggest one for sure.

Took this pic 2 minutes after it stopped hailing. We very rarely get that here due to higher humidity.

Low of 12C last night.

The warmspot was Rosetown, SK at 27.9C.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:26 AM
Go Chiefs!

Other places in Quebec had much larger hail...

https://twitter.com/RejeanOuimet_MM/...54798379589638

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiedawg View Post

With free time on my hands this morning, this got me thinking does every province think it has the most hotspot warm days in Canada? Do people in Ontario think they have the most, people in Newfoudland think they do?
So I had to look and thank's to Nicko999's weather posting history every day over the last couple months I was able to quickly see if BC truly does have 3 out of 4 hotspots since mid July like Metro-one claims.

Turns out it has 43 out of the last 86, which puts it at half of the nation's hotspots each day!.
The more people from their own province talk about and report back and forth with each other about their weather, the more they have an over exaggerated positive feedback of what they think their weather is like. I personally thought if BC is first that Alberta is probably second or third or something. Nope not even close, AB is sixth just slightly behind Manitoba which totally surprised me.

Looking at this thread and all the posts from forumers on here you'd probably think the next province after BC with most daily hotspots in Country since mid July would be Quebec or Ontario.
But again totally to my surprise and probably because there're no posters on here from Saskatchewan but it's that province!

With a count of two hotspot days, Quebec tied with Nova Scotia for 7th place since Prince Edward Island and Newfoundand had no daily national hotspots since mid July.
The Prairies have much more extreme weather so it's normal they have more hotspots days than Ontario. Warmest low is kind of hard to measure because you have to actually wait 24 hours so it's not as practical to report as the highest high (plus EC reports the hot spot).

If you were to measure the warmest low, Ontario would probably have about 70 of those 86 days while Quebec would be second with about 10. The remaining 6 days to Manitoba/BC probably.

BTW-The mid July cutoff date isn't really fair since things started going downhill for us (Eastern Canada) after the end of the month while the weather warmed significantly in Western Canada. Doesn't seem fair?

Southern Ontario/Southern Quebec was the warmspot almost on a daily basis from May to mid July if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I would be down to do this exercise at the end of the year and see the breakdown by provinces for a FULL YEAR.

Last edited by Nicko999; Oct 11, 2020 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 7:41 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It’s not something I check but I have noticed it myself a few times, and Marty sometimes posts when it’s St. John’s. My guess would be we’re average a couple per year. Definitely rare for us to be hottest or coldest.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:21 PM

So I went for a hike the other day up Mt. Ishizuchi. It is the tallest mountain in Kagawa, Japan at 1,982m. A tramway takes you up to the base of the hike at around 1200m. Its a good 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down.

At around 1600m the leaves are just starting to change and at the very peak fall is in full swing.

A few pics from the hike:

Light Through the Mist by Ian, on Flickr

Looking Over Shikoku by Ian, on Flickr

Fall Begins by Ian, on Flickr

Mountain Mist by Ian, on Flickr

The Peak of Mt. Ishizuchi by Ian, on Flickr

Was a mainly cloudy day but there was some dramatic lighting and clouds at the top. Temperature was about 10 degrees or so at the summit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It’s not something I check but I have noticed it myself a few times, and Marty sometimes posts when it’s St. John’s. My guess would be we’re average a couple per year. Definitely rare for us to be hottest or coldest.
St. John's may get hottest day in the country only a few times a year, and I would imagine most of those are either in late fall or winter when temperatures push double digits. Definitely not during the summer though, our hottest days are average highs for Southern Ontario, and would probably be below seasonal for the interior of BC. Some spots in Central or along the North-East Coast may get hottest day once or twice during the summer.

--------------

Sunny, some clouds, still extremely windy, and 19 degrees at 11am. Probably looking at another 20 degree day here, before a cooldown overnight and into tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:48 PM

I've seen a few posts on here the past few days regarding frost and/or freezing. There appears to be some confusion among some people. Let me see if I can clarify...

Temperatures do not need to be at or below zero for frost formation. You can easily have a frost when temperatures are between 1-5 degrees, especially on a clear night. Just like you can not have frost formation when overnight temperatures are below freezing.

Quote:
Since cold air is heavy air, in the absence of wind, the coldest air will remain nearest the ground, thus allowing surface temperatures to continue to fall. Thus, under such conditions -- clear and calm nights -- the ground temperature may fall below the freezing point while the temperature measured officially at was still above freezing. This is particularly common in the autumn and winter when nights are long allowing more time for cooling to occur.

Now frost is a covering of ice crystals on the surface produced by the depositing of water vapor to a surface cooler than 0° C (32° F). The deposition occurs when the temperature of the surface falls below the frost point. Similarly, dew forms when the air or surface temperature falls below the dew point temperature. (Note that the water vapor goes directly from gas to ice. Therefore, frost is not frozen dew.)

Thus, if the temperature on the ground or an object such as a bush or a car windshield near the ground falls below the frost point, frost crystals may form. But the measured "surface temperature" may still be above freezing.

This is the most common way in which frost may form when the official surface temperature is still above the freezing point.
https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/Z...20very%20cold!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Pretty wild night in Moncton last night as a cold front passed through. Lots of heavy rain and some lightning in Moncton, but it was worse in the southwest of the province where over 3,400 NB Power customers are still waiting for power restoration after lighting strikes and high wind.

Currently +7C in Moncton and sunny at 1 PM. The temperatures will continue to fall into the evening and a freezing low of -1C is expected overnight.

As previously reported, the temperatures will quickly recover this week, with daytime highs back into the upper teens and low twenties by the end of the week.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 5:50 PM
Suburbs Suck

Big deep dive coming before a partial recovery:

14 13 7 11 12 14 14
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 4:03 AM

A great day up in the Wallaceburg/Port Lambton area, sunny and 21. Didn't miss much back at my house, the temperature topped out at 17.2 and it was mostly cloudy.

Continuing with my recent obsession with trees, I stopped by a small forest just a few blocks from where I lived as a kid. This is a rare sycamore forest. These woods also feature several types of oak and hickory.

Thankfully it will be preserved

Mottled bark of the sycamore tree

Large leaf: sycamore vs. silver maple, and shumard oak

Impressive trees

I was just going to focus on the big sycamores, but this shagbark hickory deserves to be seen

Last edited by flar; Oct 13, 2020 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 5:09 AM
Go Chiefs!

9C and sunny! With the calm winds, it would have been perfect had it been 5-6 degrees warmer.

Low of 3C this morning.

The warmspot was Emerson, MB at 21.2C

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 12:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's nice here but wet. Can't get my pictures to work, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada