Suburbs Suck

30 30 29 26 23 22 23
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:25 PM

My weather station 2020
>=30 21 days
>=25 78 days
>=20 98 days

It's a little behind last year's pace due to the very cool April and May we had. But we still have September and October to go.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
72 days above 25C so far in Montreal.

And that's excluding our warmer nights (much more constantly here than in Winnipeg). The July mean of 20.9C in Winnipeg would actually be BELOW normal for us. It would also be our coolest July in 4 years.

When it comes to summer weather, the Windsor-MTL corridor is in a class of its own.

Only the Interior can actually challenge on some years.
I personally think hot days and cooler nights - even at the expense of a lower "mean" temperature - makes for a far more enjoyable summer.

Hot nights mean generally living/sleeping inside constant conditioned interiors. "I love these hot nights" gets typed a lot here, from what I can only assume are people in air conditioned homes.

Also, for someone who camps a lot - hot nights also make for buggy nights.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 7:14 PM

I went back to my local weather station (CFB Borden, Alliston Nelson) to gather data over how many 30C days we are averaging over the decades. To see if we are indeed getting more extreme heat in the summer months. Here's what I found for the average # of 30C days. Keep in mind, the data for this area only goes back to the 1970.

1970s= 14.0
1980s= 16.9
1990s= 17.8
2000s= 21.2
2010s= 23.7

There is without a doubt a trend, at least in my area (1 hour NNW of Toronto). Our summers are seeing way more heat compared to even 30-40 years ago. I imagine the stats for Toronto are the same. I just haven't calculated them.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 7:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Lightning over Halifax

Source

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 7:56 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I personally think hot days and cooler nights - even at the expense of a lower "mean" temperature - makes for a far more enjoyable summer.

Hot nights mean generally living/sleeping inside constant conditioned interiors. "I love these hot nights" gets typed a lot here, from what I can only assume are people in air conditioned homes.

Ya if you truly love those hot sticky nights then shut off that air conditioner and open up all your windows. Otherwise you DON'T love it.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Even not terribly hot nights can be uncomfortable without AC after a hot day.

Hot nights are excellent if you want to sit outside and relax and have fun. Once its time to to go bed they're unbearable.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:18 PM

You guys all talk like A/C doesn't exist. We don't live in 1850! 99% of all houses in Southern ON have A/C. Maybe elsewhere in Canada they don't....but here they do.

The beauty of hot humid nights is that when you go outside...it's so nice to keep those shorts and sandals on. One of my favourite memories is taking the dog out for a walk when it's still 30C+ with the humidity, or going for a nice midnight swim and never being cold....it feels like Im living in Jamaica. You can enjoy the warmth and when you want to sleep... go inside where it's 21C and life is good.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:19 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Exactly. Even not terribly hot nights can be uncomfortable without AC after a hot day.

Hot nights are excellent if you want to sit outside and relax and have fun. Once its time to to go bed they're unbearable.
Yes. Humidity is good when it keeps you comfortably outside longer.
Humidity is bad when you're heading inside sooner.
There's nothing better than when you've got your windows wide open at night and there's a light fresh breeze blowing through your bedroom.
And clear skies for star gazing.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I wonder how much of this has to do with construction techniques and in particular the push to insulate houses a lot more. My place retains heat really well and I barely need to heat it in the winter but in the summer without AC it becomes much hotter than outside in the evening. It is relatively non-adaptable from summer to winter.

There's also a big difference if you live in a house with cross-breezes and a stack effect versus a multi-unit building where units are mostly cut off from each other and windows open on 1 or 2 sides of the building.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:24 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
That's crazy talk.

Quote:
I don't personally use AC much, and never when sleeping, but clearly it's far nicer to have the heat outside at night and a cool place to retreat to inside afterward, than cool summer nights where you wear sweaters or hoodies like in BC, where it feels like fall at night.

Summer is summer. It's supposed to be like summer. Canada's cold enough already without so much of it outside of southern Ontario and Quebec not having much of a summer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:29 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That's crazy talk.

I don't personally use AC much, and never when sleeping, but clearly it's far nicer to have the heat outside at night and a cool place to retreat to inside afterward, than cool summer nights where you wear sweaters or hoodies like in BC, where it feels like fall at night.

Summer is summer. It's supposed to be like summer. Canada's cold enough already without so much of it outside of southern Ontario and Quebec not having much of a summer.
Oh always such a fire starter. But it's always fun to respond.
Sweaters and hoodies are not used here at night. So you must be talking about Flin Flon at 6am. When it's 36C during the day it stays in the 20s past midnight especially in Osoyoos etc. And the overnight low doesn't hit at night. It hits the next morning.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:36 PM
Registered Drug User

Average summer lows:

Vancouver

Toronto

My friends and relatives in Vancouver tell me it's cool at night, that you can't sit outside at midnight without a shirt or a hoodie. The average summer lows appear to bear that out.

Why would I care about a place called "Osoyoos"? And the lows are too low anyway.

Osoyoos

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

rousseau listing summer lows and including FOUR (4) months is a flex.

Here you'd be lucky to get two lol

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think Vancouver is a bit on the cool end but I'd be happy with it being just a bit warmer at night. It's not too bad around the warmest part of July and August but the summer is short. This year it was mediocre until well into July and in September it usually goes downhill pretty quickly.

This ties in with one of my Vancouver observations which is that the truly temperate time of year is not a whole lot nicer/warmer/longer than in some other parts of Canada. It's more that the winter is less bad, although the rain and cloud detract from that. The spring is the only time that's significantly nicer than other places (similar sun but 5 degrees warmer or so). The overall effect of the climate is therefore kind of modest. It is nothing like the differences around the US where people might move from Minneapolis to Honolulu or San Diego.

This winter is going to suck if we remain under the 14 day quarantine thing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:21 PM

I love the hot summer nights, I sit outside and read til the wee hours of the morning. My garden also loves the warm nights.

Incidentally, tonight might be one of the warmest of the year, with a forecast temp of 25 at 4am

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think Vancouver is a bit on the cool end but I'd be happy with it being just a bit warmer at night. It's not too bad around the warmest part of July and August but the summer is short. This year it was mediocre until well into July and in September it usually goes downhill pretty quickly.

This ties in with one of my Vancouver observations which is that the truly temperate time of year is not a whole lot nicer/warmer/longer than in some other parts of Canada. It's more that the winter is less bad, although the rain and cloud detract from that. The spring is the only time that's significantly nicer than other places (similar sun but 5 degrees warmer or so). The overall effect of the climate is therefore kind of modest. It is nothing like the differences around the US where people might move from Minneapolis to Honolulu or San Diego.

This winter is going to suck if we remain under the 14 day quarantine thing.
Vancouver's mild climate obfuscates it's season durations...which is ultimately determined by latitude.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Vancouver's mild climate obfuscates it's season durations...which is ultimately determined by latitude.
There's a pretty dramatic wet-dry change that happens here, particularly in the fall. And day-to-day variation is low so you get fewer days that aren't characteristic of whatever season you're in.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:58 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Average summer lows:

Vancouver

Toronto

My friends and relatives in Vancouver tell me it's cool at night, that you can't sit outside at midnight without a shirt or a hoodie. The average summer lows appear to bear that out.

Why would I care about a place called "Osoyoos"? And the lows are too low anyway.

Osoyoos
Keep in mind the lows are not night temperatures. They are 6am temperatures. I wish we could see a list of 10pm or midnight temps. Way warmer.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:12 PM
Suburbs Suck

30C at 4pm.
30C day #34.
castlegar.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada