HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 11:59 AM

Not a bad locale, actually. The Eastlink building should act as a bit of a buffer from the busy intersection of Spring Garden and South park.

I'm assuming they are going with picnic tables because of the temporary nature of the site - I'm sure it will be developed before long.

Sure will be an improvement over what's there now - nothing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:47 AM

The second largest East Side Mario's location in Canada opened yesterday next to THE KEG with front row seats to the Nova Centre.

Source: ESM facebook

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 11:16 AM

Ugh. I hate seeing trash like this in a prime downtown location.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:34 PM

I wonder if they will be chasing the ambulance-chaser's lawsuit along with Lil MacPherson and Attica against Nova Centre?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder if they will be chasing the ambulance-chaser's lawsuit along with Lil MacPherson and Attica against Nova Centre?
I think it would be hard to do that if they're opening DURING the disruption. Isn't the premise of the lawsuit that the construction activity has impacted existing businesses by reducing traffic and sales by measurable amounts? I'd think it would be hard for East Side Mario's to measure a decline from nothing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I think it would be hard to do that if they're opening DURING the disruption. Isn't the premise of the lawsuit that the construction activity has impacted existing businesses by reducing traffic and sales by measurable amounts? I'd think it would be hard for East Side Mario's to measure a decline from nothing.
My point exactly, I guess you missed my sarcasm. Opening the second-largest ESM location in the country a stone's throw away from the site in question would tend to deflate the claims made by the plaintiffs.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
Ugh. I hate seeing trash like this in a prime downtown location.
That space doesn't seem to be all that prime, as most businesses there have not lasted very long.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
That space doesn't seem to be all that prime, as most businesses there have not lasted very long.
Fair enough point.

Still, east side dogfood emporium seems better suited to malls and business parks than a downtown.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:52 PM

This should work well with the upgrades happening on Argyle St. now:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...usiness-empire

Trailer Park Boys add landmark Halifax eatery, bars to growing business empire
The Canadian Press

Quote:
Along with Gary Howsam, producer of the hit television show, and Halifax bar owner Brad Hartlin, the Trailer Park Boys have bought up the Halifax landmark Economy Shoe Shop Cafe and Bar from local businessman Victor Syperek.

In the same deal, the business partners also acquired the former Seahorse Tavern space, a live-music venue located below the Shoe Shop, and brokered the joint ownership of the Toothy Moose cabaret upstairs, previously co-owned by Smith (Bubbles) and Hartlin.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:04 PM

Could be the beginning of the end for that group of bars. Hartlin is not a good operator, and Smith & co. are not likely to be anything other than absentee shareholders.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Could be the beginning of the end for that group of bars. Hartlin is not a good operator, and Smith & co. are not likely to be anything other than absentee shareholders.
Hard to say. The Moose was always a popular hangout, hell, whatever sits in that stretch is going to boom with college kids. If they hang on until after the Argyle streetscaping and Nova Centre opening, it could become a going concern.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:53 AM

Regardless of opinions on their business prowess, their plan seems like a good one, though. Switching the Toothy Moose area from a bar for kids who just reached drinking age to a more upscale lounge will be more in keeping with the new vibe of the street, IMHO.

Time will tell if it's a success or not.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:31 AM

Firkin Pub @ HSIA

Firkin Pub En Route to Halifax Stanfield
POSTED ON AUGUST 9, 2017
New Food & Beverage Offerings Coming Soon

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax Stanfield passengers will soon be able to experience the atmosphere of a real British Pub without actually leaving the airport. Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) and the Firkin Group of Pubs today announced an agreement to construct the new food and beverage option on the departures level of Halifax Stanfield.

https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2017/08/...fax-stanfield/

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 7:27 PM
hi

Murphy's on the Water is being reborn as Cable Wharf Kitchen & Patio:

---

Landmark Halifax waterfront restaurant battles back from COVID closure with major facelift

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/business/landmark-halifax-waterfront-restaurant-battles-back-from-covid-closure-with-major-facelift-100730856/

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Murphy's on the Water is being reborn as Cable Wharf Kitchen & Patio:
It needed a reboot long ago. Murphy's was the very definition of a tourist trap for most of its life. Crummy decor, and easily the worst food I have ever been served in this town. I mean, really bad, as in High Liner fish triangles bad. Once bitten twice shy and I have recommended against it every chance I could get. Will be interesting to see if the reviews post-reno are at least acceptable.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It needed a reboot long ago. Murphy's was the very definition of a tourist trap for most of its life. Crummy decor, and easily the worst food I have ever been served in this town. I mean, really bad, as in High Liner fish triangles bad. Once bitten twice shy and I have recommended against it every chance I could get. Will be interesting to see if the reviews post-reno are at least acceptable.
It'll be interesting to see if they feel the need to compete with the newer restaurants in Queen's Marque - the high-end ones around the courtyard, or the Italian street food one that faces Cable Wharf.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:

Are there any restaurant in Halifax that serves good seafood? Some do a nice fried fish and chips, but I don't know if there are any that do anything creative.

Once ate at a fish restaurant while travelling the Florida Keys and discovered that seafood in Nova Scotia was in a pretty sad state.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
Are there any restaurant in Halifax that serves good seafood?
I've always thought the best seafood in Halifax is at restaurants that don't necessarily promote themselves as seafood restaurants. I've had really good seafood at Bar Kismet, Hermitage, and Drift to name a couple.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
I've always thought the best seafood in Halifax is at restaurants that don't necessarily promote themselves as seafood restaurants. I've had really good seafood at Bar Kismet, Hermitage, and Drift to name a couple.
Those are all good. And there are others. Lots of great seafood on offer here, but the places that scream SEAFOOD SEAFOOD SEAFOOD or brand themselves for tourists tend to be fine at best.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment